Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the camera work seems to be in style with the alfa 8C (may be done by the same people)... but perhaps it is the background music... the GT S one is just not very exciting to watch... can't really hear its exhaust notes...

another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43-5s5Ff2jY
looks like it will be here very soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
stupid question

is this a true manual transmission ? does it have a clutch pedal ? or is clutch internal and shifting is done with paddles only ?

is that how all the F1 transmissions are...

I am waiting for my order (black / beige gran turismo) automatic trans... (can fake shift it if needed.... ha... wimp)

jd
NJ

·
Registered
135 Posts
is this a true manual transmission ? does it have a clutch pedal ? or is clutch internal and shifting is done with paddles only ?

is that how all the F1 transmissions are...

I am waiting for my order (black / beige gran turismo) automatic trans... (can fake shift it if needed.... ha... wimp)

jd
NJ
Straight from the Maserati website:
"The Maserati GranTurismo S is equipped with an electronically-actuated six-speed gearbox, with a twin disc clutch, and triple cone synchronisers on the first and second gears and double cones on the other gears.
The sequential robotic gearbox can be used in two ways: manual and automatic. Manual mode is for those who prefer a sportier, more involving drive and gear changes are controlled by the driver so that they are able to fully enjoy the car’s performance. Automatic mode is designed for when the driver desires a more relaxing drive: the system decides not only when to change gear but at what revs."

But to answer your question--no, there is not a clutch PEDAL.

And NJ, I'm sure you know there are no stupid questions.....just stupid people who ask questions! (just kidding of course ;-)

·
Registered
191 Posts
thanks.............

thanks for explaining

sounds like the reverse transmission on the regular Gran Turismo....

the non S car is an automatic that can be driven as a "kind of" manual

the S car is a manual transmission that can be driven as a "kind of" automatic....

the S seems like a long way to go for 35 more horses........

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Thanks for the links :)

I think the S will be as big step up in terms of overall performance and feel as the GS was to the Coupe'.

·
Registered
695 Posts
thanks for explaining

sounds like the reverse transmission on the regular Gran Turismo....

the non S car is an automatic that can be driven as a "kind of" manual

the S car is a manual transmission that can be driven as a "kind of" automatic....

the S seems like a long way to go for 35 more horses........
There is a bit more to the S than a few more ponies and a F1 box:

The rear transaxle makes for a better balanced (fore/aft) weight for superior handling. The front six-piston Brembos are gorgeous, not to mentioned the bigger rotors. Suspension is lowered and tuned toward sport. To me, these changes makes the car nail the "Grand Turismo" marketing image/class better than the current model.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The talk is 10-15%, but nothing official yet (at least here in Japan).
If that turns out to be 10-15%, it actually sounds fairly reasonable for what, IMO, are decent upgrades from the standard.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would expect similar price percentage bump as the QP GT-S over the QP Sport GT.

QP Sport GT: Base MSRP: $123,xxx USD
QP GT-S: Base MSRP: $128,xxx USD

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would expect similar price percentage bump as the QP GT-S over the QP Sport GT.

QP Sport GT: Base MSRP: $123,xxx USD
QP GT-S: Base MSRP: $128,xxx USD
Personally I feel this is low. The difference in the two mentioned above are what: some interior, exterior changes as well as brakes?
With the GranTurismo-S you are looking at not only the above changes but also engine and tranny. I would be surprised if the price difference between GT and GT-S is lower than $12,000. My guess is $15k.

Ryan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally I feel this is low. The difference in the two mentioned above are what: some interior, exterior changes as well as brakes?
With the GranTurismo-S you are looking at not only the above changes but also engine and tranny. I would be surprised if the price difference between GT and GT-S is lower than $12,000. My guess is $15k.

Ryan

My dealer told me, in Europe mark up will be a 10% minimum more likeley 15%, so, 15k USD in NA or 15k EUROs in Europe will be very realistic

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
However, one could say it's a pretty steep increase to shave off 0.3'' the 0-100kmh and get a clutchless manual 'box. ;)

Just trying to be devil's advocate :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
point taken...

good point ..... it is presumed hat the S car will have more 'ballz" in general... in addition to added horses ? also supposed to sound better (more snarl?)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
It should, given the different set up but we'll see.

Here is the original Maserati press release:

Modena – February 26th, 2008. A year after the unveiling of the GranTurismo, Maserati will be back at the Geneva International Motorshow with yet another world premiere, the GranTurismo S. The ultimate expression of the Trident coupé’s sportiness shifts the emphasis onto performance and driving enjoyment.

Two main novelties are at the heart of the new Maserati: the 440 HP V8 4.7 engine and the electro-actuated gearbox with fast MC-Shift arranged in the Transaxle layout typical of high-performance sports cars that represents the technological DNA of all Maseratis.

The GranTurismo S makes use of the high-performance brake system developed in collaboration with Brembo and introduced for the first time in the automotive field on the Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S. The system features front brake discs made with dual-cast technology — a dual casting of cast iron and aluminum, paired with aluminum mono-bloc 6-piston brake calipers, ensuring optimized braking performance.

On the exterior the Maserati GranTurismo S is characterised by a number of aesthetic modifications that, although discrete, are highly effective and make the car body appear sportier without abandoning the sleekness of the lines masterfully designed by Pininfarina.

The interior upholstered in Poltrona Frau leather and Alcantara reflects the sporty flair of the Maserati GranTurismo S; the figure-hugging front and rear seats are distinguished by their new dynamic design with horizontal piping on the seats and seatbacks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does anyone know the particulars on the F1 tranny in the GT-S?
Is it the same as on the 2006 GS (essentially the same as the Ferrari 575) or is it the upgraded "superfast" one seen in the 599?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
It's the 599 one. 100 millisecond gearchanges. Second fastest of the Ferrari range (fastest is the 430 Scuderia's with 60 milliseconds).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts