Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2015 Corvettes will feature a great tool to monitor valet parking attendants.

I really like it. Giving my car to a valet is always a negative in my book (Miami is full of places where one has to valet).

What do you think?

-------------------------------
For 2015 Chevrolet Corvette models, Valet Mode also works with the new Performance Data Recorder system. Co-developed by Cosworth, the technology allows track-rats to record their laps and preserve vehicle performance data such as top speed, GPS location, lap times, and lateral grip. In concert, the two systems ensure that the only performance driving happening is with you behind the wheel.

Video from a 720p camera within the windshield header trim and audio from a dedicated microphone feed information to an eight-gigabyte SD card located inside the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette glovebox. The data can then be viewed on the eight-inch screen inside the cabin or downloaded for viewing on another SD-compatible device -- allowing owners to check for any reckless or unseemly behavior while the Corvette was in the hands of someone else.

“Think of it as a baby monitor for your car,” said Corvette product manager Harlan Charles in a statement. If you’re not worried about the valet, the system is also useful for when pleading neighbors or relatives ask you to borrow your precious Stingray “for just a little while.” You don’t have to say no, but they’ll have to know that Big Brother is watching.

Read more: The 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Can Spy on Valet Parking Attendants

·
Registered
248 Posts
The 2014 also has valet mode. I have not used it yet. It does not seem very proactive though. Assume the valet goes for a spin, what will you do after the fact (besides tattle).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2014 also has valet mode. I have not used it yet. It does not seem very proactive though. Assume the valet goes for a spin, what will you do after the fact (besides tattle).
A video + precise data showing wrongdoing can go a long way in curbing bad behaviors. Showing it to the boss and the media would be very bad press for people in the business (and valets who might have problems finding a job in the future).

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
It's most useful when you're made aware of the "questionable" driving immediately, just after the incident. Data streaming to your phone would be preferred. I don't want to have to wait until I get home, download some video, watch through and find the occurrence, only to call the restaurant/hotel and be told "I've very sorry about this, but we have no way of knowing WHO was driving your car at that time."

I want to open the app on my phone and have an alert waiting for me if there was abusive driving, that way I can confront the very person who *I* know parked, or returned, the car.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's most useful when you're made aware of the "questionable" driving immediately, just after the incident. I want to open the app on my phone and have an alert waiting for me if there was abusive driving, that way I can confront the very person who *I* know parked, or returned, the car.
An app/alert would indeed be a great tool and no doubt this will come soon too.

A good thing with the new system is that it can be reviewed immediately when picking up the car (---"The data can then be viewed on the eight-inch screen inside the cabin or downloaded for viewing on another SD-compatible device -- ")

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
+1

Prevention is always better than having to react to bad behaviour. A better valet mode would limit the revs and thereby the power. How abusive can one be at 2000 rpm? This could even be done with a valet key, which would not access the full performance of the car.

btw, you could always install a "dummy" camera and then point it out and inform the valet that there is video and telemetry on the car.

·
Registered
489 Posts
More effective would be a valet key that automatically disallows more than 50% throttle and 3000 RPM. My Seadoo had a similar system for "learners."

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Sort of like ICE mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts