Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05QP. After a few weeks at the dealer (120 miles away) to repair the trunk release, the car returned and the trunk release failed again after 3 days. Dealer advised me to remove the negative lead to the battery for 10 minutes and see if that fixed it before we spend more hours and $ returning the car. How do I remove the plastic over the negaitive terminal? I have been pulling prying by hand, but it won't come off. (having once fried a Scirocco wiring harness changing a water pump I get a little nervous around the battery, so I haven't tried prying with a screwdriver yet!)

Also, has anyone heard of anyone doing a true manual conversion for the QP? I love the car but hate the transmission.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have an 05QP. After a few weeks at the dealer (120 miles away) to repair the trunk release, the car returned and the trunk release failed again after 3 days. Dealer advised me to remove the negative lead to the battery for 10 minutes and see if that fixed it before we spend more hours and $ returning the car. How do I remove the plastic over the negaitive terminal? I have been pulling prying by hand, but it won't come off. (having once fried a Scirocco wiring harness changing a water pump I get a little nervous around the battery, so I haven't tried prying with a screwdriver yet!)

Also, has anyone heard of anyone doing a true manual conversion for the QP? I love the car but hate the transmission.

Thanks for any help.
Isn't there a battery cut off switch in the truck like the coupe and spyder?

So I notice the name Carter and your from Virginia. I am related to a bunch of Carters down around Roanoke...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tranny complaint

If you hate the F-1 tranny, try installing the drive by wire from Formula Dynamics. Everyone who does this swears there is a night and day improvement....plus it is minor surgery (and cost).

·
Registered
94 Posts
The negative terminal does not have a plastic covering it, you are referring to the postive terminal.
What is the malfunction with the trunk? When you try to open the trunk with the remote what happens? Does the deck lid raise and then suck itself back down?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The negative terminal is exposed and accessible in the 05QP. There should be a plastic level that you toggle which will release the clamp and the connector will then just pop off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

I appreciate the replies. With the application of a little more light and your responses, I understand what I am seeing. (This rocket scientist saw the first cap for the cells, which I assume now is slotted for a phillips head scredwdriver, and thought it was the positive end of the battery). You are right, of course, and I have disconnected the negative terminal. Unfortunately, I didn't fix the problem. The problem is that the trunk does not electronically seat when I close it. Is there an easy fix for this or is it going back to the dealer?

I think everybody named Carter in Virginia is supposed to be a descendant of King Carter, including me, but my family was in Kentucky and Tennessee for the last few generations before I moved to Virginia.

Willie - are you my former service advisor?

I will certainly look into the enhancement module. The lag when I am trying to accelerate from a stop sign after a quick stop drives me crazy and seems downright dangerous. Will it cure that?

Thanks. This seems like a great site.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I appreciate the replies. With the application of a little more light and your responses, I understand what I am seeing. (This rocket scientist saw the first cap for the cells, which I assume now is slotted for a phillips head scredwdriver, and thought it was the positive end of the battery). You are right, of course, and I have disconnected the negative terminal. Unfortunately, I didn't fix the problem. The problem is that the trunk does not electronically seat when I close it. Is there an easy fix for this or is it going back to the dealer?

I think everybody named Carter in Virginia is supposed to be a descendant of King Carter, including me, but my family was in Kentucky and Tennessee for the last few generations before I moved to Virginia.

Willie - are you my former service advisor?

I will certainly look into the enhancement module. The lag when I am trying to accelerate from a stop sign after a quick stop drives me crazy and seems downright dangerous. Will it cure that?

Thanks. This seems like a great site.
Carter,

I am the one and the same. Hope you have been doing well lately!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Willie,

Glad to hear it. Things aren't going so smoothly without you! I hope you are well.

Have you had any experience with the drive by wire system? Any thoughts on it's affect on warranty?

Carter

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That would mean you, me and Jimmy are all related!!! A lot of the original Carters moved from Virginia down to NC and on to Georgia... Not many people know who King Carter is.. : - )

I have the DBW, it's worth every penny as for warranty, well I don't have that so I didn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For any of you interested, it turned out that we needed to replace the trunk wiring harness.

Thanks for the help and responses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It took me minute as I was thinking "how will the wiring harness preserve the clutch...."

From what I have learned the DBW system makes it run better preserves the clutch and is going to grow my hair back. If I keep the car, I will proably try it when the warranty runs out in June. I am still looking for somoene who has tried it in the QP.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Quattroporte Drive By Wire Enhancement Module

We have quite a few customers with the DBW on the QP however they often are not as vocal on the forums. Here is a link to a review by one of our QP owners: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5233

Of course, feel free to give me a call or email with any questions.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts