Maserati Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Instead of leasing consider buying...

I own an 04 Coupe hard top. Actually took 4 adults to lunch today. The backseat is functional.

I drive in sports mode and there is no shifting drag, but you do feel the shifts. Its not ultra smooth and will never be. That just comes with owning a paddle shift Maserati. However, these cars are beautiful and just a blast to drive on a daily basis!

From what I've read, the 04 spyder had "structural reinforcements" added into the body. 02 and 03, (I think) Spyders had body issuses that have been addressed and fixed. Do a search on all the car sites on 02, 03, and 04 spyder coupes. You should find out exactly what production changes were made. If its in your budget get an 04 or 05. The biggestest difference between the two years, are the front and rear scoops. Its really a matter of personal taste.

As far as leases, these cars depreciate like ROCKS and need a new clutch every 18K 24K miles... To lease one, I was quoted around $1,500 per month for a 05 with 10Kmiles a year allocated over 36 months. I felt that was too high.

I think these cars should cost about 800 - 1,000 a month to own and operate, assuming you are going to drive 800- 1,000 miles each month.

Based on what 02s are selling for, and what you will pay for an 04 or 05 "like new" spyder with less than 3,000 miles, you should think about buying the car instead. If you buy it, drive it for 36 months then sell it, you may come out ahead. The first year of depreciation is crazy. Let someone else absorb that cost. The residual value is super low. A Maserati is not a great car to lease value wise. Its a tremendous bang for your buck to purchase. 04s with less than 3,000 miles for under $65,000. New they were close to $100,000.

Just be prepared for service costs every 6,000 miles ($350- $1,000) and clutch costs ($2,500).

Other than that, you should be set. These cars are great! Good Luck!

CM

·
Registered
742 Posts
German cars and service costs...

Laurie:

I leased a BMW and two Benzs before I bought my Maserati. All were great cars, looked and drove nice. I also tested a few porsches and enjoyed them as well. The ferraris I could afford were just plain race cars and not something I could drive everyday.

The Maserati provides "something extra" whether its a feeling or the satisfaction you get from driving a beautiful rare auto. Its hard to put into words but if you appreciate automobiles this car will call out to you.. Yes, I know I have lost my mind at 31....

On my way to work I see several CLs, SLs, 6 series and many porsches. Driving all over NJ and Philly, I have seen 2 maybe 3 Maseratis.

A convertible is a great choice for a Calli ride. If you can find one, get one with a Tubi exhaust. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.