Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and I don't know much about Maserati's so I need your opinion and input. I am currently in a position where I could purchase a new MB SL550 with all the bells and whistles or a Maserati Coupe. Which would you go with? I know the quality of the MB, but not of Maserati.

Also what do you think of the Aston Martin Vantage? FYI: The budget is around $98K - $125K

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
312 Posts
SLMB said:
I am new to this forum and I don't know much about Maserati's so I need your opinion and input. I am currently in a position where I could purchase a new MB SL550 with all the bells and whistles or a Maserati Coupe. Which would you go with? I know the quality of the MB, but not of Maserati.

Also what do you think of the Aston Martin Vantage? FYI: The budget is around $98K - $125K

Hi, welcome to the board.
I don't think we can answer that for you but you can search this board and find a lot of comparisons, opinion and ownership reviews.

A lot of helpful people use this board and some of them may have experience with your choice list. Good luck.

I think you will find what you will hear from us is that there are a lot of great cars by Maserti's offer more of an "driving experience".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kbrooklings,
Thank you for your quick response. I will search this board and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Maserati all the way.....

SLMB said:

Welcome to the board. I owned two Mercedes coupes before I bought my Maserati Coupe. I was going to purchase a CL, my wife wanted me to get a SL so I drove both of them. Very nice, very smooth ride, plush interior. Thats all. I see about 10 - 20 Benzs each and every day and the driver with the C280 rocks the same badge as the person with the SL65... Mercedes is everywhere..

I thought Mercedes quality was good. I think Maserati quality is good.

Its tough to compare a Benz to a Maserati. Both are beautiful cars and a lot depends on your personal preferences. Ultimately, for me the Maserati has "passion"... Its hard to understand until you spend time behind the wheel with the F1 box.... Its soo much fun to drive and brings tons of looks all while offering a back seat that is functional.... Its a "practical exotic" that you can drive everyday.

Today I was coming to a stop light on my way back to work. I noticed one kid hop out of his car and start taking pictures of mine. I don't think that would ever happen with a CL or SL.

I like the Aston Martin and consided it but it does not have a back seat and that was something I wanted. The Vantage is a sharp looking car. I saw a black DB9 today with chrome wheels, very nice... I have never driven one, so I can not comment on its performance... Just checking out the classifieds you may be able to get more bang for your buck with a low mileage AM or two year old Aston DB instead of a new Vantage.

My Maserati rides much rougher than a Benz, is much louder with its Tubi but the interior is plush and there is plenty of cabin room.

A Maserati will depreciate faster than a benz however given what you are spending on a car I don't think that is too much of a concern, same with gas and insurance which will be more on a Maserati... Maintenance will also cost considerably more on a Maserati, especially with a clutch job or F1 pump.

I have had my coupe for 14 months. It has brought me nothing but happiness and good times..... When I want to drive aggressive its ready at a moments notice to hit an off ramp at 70 mph, when I want to cruise, it just purrrrs... I have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. Its too practical and too much fun to drive...

Good luck with your purchase. CM

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
hi and welcome!

i would imagine an SL550 is a great overall car; looks good, drives well. a little bit porky; but good german engineering. still a very well rounded cruiser. new engine and transmission is good.

if you get a coupe, go for a GS, or better yet, MC Victory. do a search and you will know why. my heart was racing just sitting in one. sitting in an SL make me wants to go shopping with the lady. (?!)

as for the v8 vantage, it would be a fun car to have. jeremy clarkson praised very well of it (if he is a good reference). google search the top gear video from 6 months ago. it is very close to the MC Victory; different alternatives. you do have to choose whether you want a 6MT or a F1 type gearbox. both will be great to own.

i would actually spend a little more and go for a DB9 instead of a V8 Vantage.

if you are not in a hurry, wait and see. there will be something like a V8 Vantage S or something (RS!)... as well as the new Maserati Coupe in a year or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts