Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen -

I currently drive a BMW 850 Twin Turbo and have been considering a switch to the Maserati Coupe - an '02 or '03 model. As an experienced engineer/wrench/hobbyist, I typically service my own cars and expect to follow suit with the Maserati.

Some questions...

1. Is there a definitive Pre-Purchase Inspection checklist available?
2. How common is it for the F1 pump to crap out? Do they really cost US$18k?
3. What other websites besides this one do you recommend for technical engineering discussions? Specifically, I'm looking for other DIY Maserati owners that have delved into the engine, trans, and other systems of the car.

Thanks in advance for your replies and for such a great website.

Rgds...

- John in DC

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
BMW 850 Twin Turbo... sounds yummy.
if you are used to a V12 with two turbo chargers and all those torque, an 02 03 Coupe will really not satisfy you...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BMW 850 Twin Turbo... sounds yummy.
if you are used to a V12 with two turbo chargers and all those torque, an 02 03 Coupe will really not satisfy you...
I hand-fabricated the forced induction system for my 850 and anticipate doing the same for the Maserati. I suspect a properly designed system would give me the power levels I'm used to - - not to mention the "uplift" in performance due to it weighing some 800 lbs less than the BMW.

At this point, I'm trying to learn more about the DIY technical and engineering support network that exists for the marque before taking the plunge.

Rgds...

- John in DC

·
Registered
94 Posts
You might check out this site:
http://www.dimex-group.com/en/tuning/leonardo/leonardo-home.html

Also, you might check with this forum member regarding tuning his Maserati Coupe':
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2574&highlight=trofeo

Also, you might want to run a "trofeo" search on this forum. You'll find lot's of info. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe the Trofeo runs in the GT3 class. You'll get a tone of modification info there.

Finally, there's a forum member, with Formula Dynamics who sells aftermarket parts, so he should be helpful.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.

I purchased an '05 Coupe' Cambiocorsa at the end of May, and it's a dream car. I intended to modify it, but I'm pretty satisfied with the way it is out of the box. Tons of torque and scary fast, and it's VERY exclusive. I don't believe there's another Coupe in the town I live in. . .at least, I haven't seen one. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts