Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been active on F Chat and under the Maser section but just found Maser Life tonight. I have found a 02 Spyder (manual 6 speed, a must especialy after reading the groups post) I have a few questions. Clutch was dealer replaced a year and 500 miles ago so should be in good shape. I did see a tear in the soft top that was repaired and sealed by dealer before the last owner bought it. Not sure how much this will bug me when I see it, but he says it dosn't leak or make wind noise.

(1) How much is a new soft top roughly?

Car is out of state and I'm thinking about flying out to look at it as the $ I would spend on it is a major expense for me and I rally cant strap the family to a toy that I would need to take a small loan to repair. I've been told locally clutch can be done for $2500-3000.

(2) Is this correct? Ive read here $5K.

I've also heard the top system can cost up to $20K. Not even an option, It would become a permanent top down car.

(3)Is anyone working on building individual componets for these tops?

Car is out of state and nearest Maser dealer is a 5 hours away so a PIP isn't an option. He has records from the purchase last year so I will go by that.

This car was a change in plan as I was ready to by a Classic Merak SS but the looks, sound, and a chance to enjoy an affordable Ferrari has got me leaning towards the Spyder.

(4)What expenses have you guys experience in the last year of two?

Also I have contacted a few Ferrari Parts suppliers and want to change the manual shifter to a Shiftgate and Stainless Gear Knob similar to the F355. Just love the looks.

(5) Anyone know anybody else who may have succesfully done this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
think twice

If I were you I would think twice about this buy.
Expenses are high, 5000k a year being the bare minimum, but highly unpredictable, could go up to 10K if few things decide to happen at the same time, and there are a lot of parts that can go bad...
Parts are expensive, takes time to get them and often require specialized technicians and/or equipment. There are reasons why these cars are rare. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen a lot of individuals that state they have had a lot of expense with the 02. Let me tell you that it is not all that they make it out to be. The parts for the oil cost maybe $100 and you do that 4 times a year. I will tell you that the clutch is expensive. I just had it done and I spent around $3200. The trick is to not go to the dealer as they will change everything out whether or not it needs it and mark up everything. Find a good independent mechanic and go with them. All in all I spent about 3600 this year and if the clutch didn't go out I would have only spent 400. You have to remember that you have an Italian sports car and they are more expensive than a Ford to maintain but you can do it at much better price than what it may appear to be on the boards.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not unfamiliar to spending money on my toys as I've had both sportscars and boats. Some is always expected. I checked on a replacement top and was quoted $2750 with glass rear window from Maserati of Seattle. This sounds very reasonable if, and when I would need it. Checked on brakes and was told to buy Brembos direct versus Maserati parts counter and they would run $400-600 a wheel. Sound expensive but reasonable (actually the same price I had to pay for some old rare DATSUN drum brake cylinders a few years ago). Last car I had was a Porsche and even though part prices were better and it has a larger non-dealer tech options to choose from; they too were not what you would call cheap.

With a new clutch and only 27K on the clock I would think that Brakes and oil changes would be the expected maintance unless something unexpectedly breaks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
First thing is to make sure you have a good independent mechanic around so you do not have to go to the dealer as suggested above. Keep in mind that the 02's were the first year of production. Personally I stay away from these cars. With prices falling I would look for at least a 2003 or 2004. If you are set on a drop-top then go for it, but the Coupe's are more reliable. Those tops have issues from what my mechnic tells me - just another Italian electrical system that can go wrong. My mechanic thinks that the most reliable Maserati's are the 2003 or later Coupe GT's. I went for a CC as I think this transmission is fun to drive, but if you are looking for minimal problems stick with the standard manual on the GT. Besides, the coupes are even rarer than the Spyders....:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Keep in mind that the 02's were the first year of production.

Actually, that was just the first year they were imported into the US. I believe 2001 was the first year of production for ROW. I'll say that I haven't seen anything different for the 02 from the later models. I think a great deal of the bad rep the 2002 models got was due to the single tang clutch, but if the car has ever had the clutch replaced, it most likely has the dual tang now. They also changed the CC programming a few times (through at least 2004), but if you search through the archives, there is some debate whether all of the CC updates really had any benefit. Personally, I got a great price, and it came with a full service history, all done at FMoOC (which is a great shop), including the CC updates, so I was quite comfortable with buying a 2002. If I didn't have the service history, or if there were issues, I would have passed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One more point on the 02

I put over 22k on my 02 before going to a cayman S for about 5mo then back to a GS and now a QP. I had 0 problems with my 02, and NEVER upgraded my CC software. Now I am sure there are very few 02 with out the software upgrades but if you do have the old software I would think twice before upgrading. The old software hit's like a truck, tire spin in the first 3 gears. The guys at SFMF told me the the upgrades truned a 400hp car into a 300. My guess is the DBW brings back the old feel of the CC Raw and untamed. Also you can have the new clutch and keep the old software, SFMF was able to do this for me after contacting the factory.

Have fun and GO 44

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts