Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been looking around the forum with great interest.

My wife and I always have been pretty into cars and such. With life moving along, I've found that I'm able to start looking at cars that I once only dreamed about.

We've recently been test driving Porsche Caymans and such, but I came across a early to mid 200x Maserati GT that piqued my interest. I started doing a bit of research and came across this forum and some more GT's. I'm not really sure what to look or, but it would seem the GT is in the same general price range. I've seen them from $40-$65k used, which would seem fine, but I'm a bit concerned about the standard stuff.

I've not got anything specific in mind right now, but I would like to become more familiar with the brand and the model (I'm leaning towards the GT right now). What do I need to keep an eye out for? I feel like I'm entering another world in terms of cars, as we've only ever had things like Ford, Toyota, BMW, Subaru, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc.

From what I can see, it appears that my Land Rover experience may ease the pain of dealing with service centers and such...

Anyone care to help ease my mind and tell me I'm not crazy for wanting to buy a Maserati????

the new guy,
alowishus

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Youre not crazy :]

They are amazing... but keep in mind the price doesnt "stop" at 40-65k...

Tires are about 1500 for a full set.

The car gets appx 10-15 mpg if driven "the way it should" (You wont be able to stop youself ;] ) and expect appx $50-$70 per fill up.

By GT do you mean a 6 speed manual or a cambiocorsa (paddles)?

Services range from $1k-$2k

If youre ok with those costs.. take the plunge before prices start rising!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info MB!

Those numebrs don't seem to out of line with some of the other cars I've looked at (6-series and CLS).

Do you know much more about things like service intervals and such? I'd prefer to have a manual, but if I found a car I liked and it was auto I suppose I could live with that.

I guess one of my concerns is regarding maintenance and reliability. I've seen some comments regarding issues with early 200x GT's. Since the dealer network is that much smaller (we do have a dealer in Cincinnati so that helps a bit), there are some worries there as well.

Also, how do these handle in inclement weather? Is this something I can't drive if someone mentions the word rain?

Sorry I'm all over the map, my son keeps trying to help (17 months old)!

alow

p.s. Oh yea, does anyone use their's as a daily driver and periodically to haul a kid or 2 around? That is one of the qualifications of a car I get is that I need to take at least ONE of our 2 kids somewhere if necessary. Hence the need for a backseat (or at least a front seat with a latch system like the Cayman)....

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use my car all the time and have two kids that fit in the back just fine. The car is reliable, functional, and absolutely awesome to drive. If you can stretch your budget a little it would be best to get a GranSport, they are the latest development in the sequence and probably will hold value the best....not to mention the driving dynamics are superior (I only say this because I have owned both...no offense to coupe/spyder owners here). Check out sportauto.cc, Steve Barney has a gorgeous 2005 GranSport for sale and I'm sure he'd be willing to deal. Steve is a stand up guy, and very connected in the world of Italian cars. The nose peice on that car was replaced from a fender bender driving off the lot after being bought new (can you imagine!). Because of that the price is lower. You can trust Steve though.

ps. fill out your profile

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks for the info MB!

Those numebrs don't seem to out of line with some of the other cars I've looked at (6-series and CLS).

Do you know much more about things like service intervals and such? I'd prefer to have a manual, but if I found a car I liked and it was auto I suppose I could live with that.

I guess one of my concerns is regarding maintenance and reliability. I've seen some comments regarding issues with early 200x GT's. Since the dealer network is that much smaller (we do have a dealer in Cincinnati so that helps a bit), there are some worries there as well.

Also, how do these handle in inclement weather? Is this something I can't drive if someone mentions the word rain?

Sorry I'm all over the map, my son keeps trying to help (17 months old)!

alow

p.s. Oh yea, does anyone use their's as a daily driver and periodically to haul a kid or 2 around? That is one of the qualifications of a car I get is that I need to take at least ONE of our 2 kids somewhere if necessary. Hence the need for a backseat (or at least a front seat with a latch system like the Cayman)....
Service Intervals

They dont make "automatics"... They do make a cambiocorsa transmition, which is a system with paddles to change gears. It is a manual, but with paddles and a hydraulic clutch... I like it more personally (and it shifts faster).

I drive my maserati all the time, whether it's raining or not... No snow here in Cali :] but I would probably drive it anyway...

If you were asking about handlling, handles great!

If you have very young kids, I would rethink the GS... I have heard it has a much stifer suspension, etc. It also has a much louder exhaust....

I talked to the guys at cinn when I was looking to buy a car.... They seemed really nice...

The backseats can hold kids... There are threads about this :]

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it helps your decision making, Maserati of Cincinnati has been good to deal with. Scott Biehl, salesperson, is very responsive.

As to choosing between a Cayman and a Maserati, having had multiple Porsches and being on my second Maser, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you are going to be toting the kids around a lot, I'd consider a Quattroporte, with easier access to back seat.

My kids are 7 and 11 so the coupe is easy for them to get in and out. I can't imagine stuffing younger kids in the back and having to bend in there to buckle them in.

The coupe does have more front seat room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input! I'm still catching on to the lingo - apologies if I called the cambiocorsa an automatic!

My wife and I have yet to take a look over at Maserati of Cincinnati - we plan on doing that this week.

I'll check out the GranSports, but it would appear there are only slight difference with appearance as well as having a different engine. I'm sure there are other differences, but I couldn't really tell....

maseratifan mentioned the GS holding its value better.

That actually leads to a question regarding depreciation for the Coupes in general. It would appear that the value of these cars has fallen much quicker than other marquee sport coupes (6-series, CLS-class, etc.). Any thoughts?

Like I mentioned, I've owned Land Rovers in the past, so I've experienced a "drop like a rock" value in a great running, solid vehicle.

As for the kids part, I will be using this car mainly for myself. The kid transporting requirement (by my wife - haha) is only if I need to -not an every day thing.

Thanks again - I'll poke aroudn the forums some more!
alow

·
Registered
94 Posts
All top marques drop like a rock. . .Look at the price of a MB, BMW or for that matter, Maserati after a couple of years. That's why I purchased an '05 with 4200 miles on it. . .and it's got another year over my '05 MB E500 for warranty (Maser 4 years, 50,000 miles vs. MB 3 years, 36,000 miles). . .Talk about schweeet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depreciation and Warranties

All top marques drop like a rock. . .Look at the price of a MB, BMW or for that matter, Maserati after a couple of years. That's why I purchased an '05 with 4200 miles on it. . .and it's got another year over my '05 MB E500 for warranty (Maser 4 years, 50,000 miles vs. MB 3 years, 36,000 miles). . .Talk about schweeet!
I guess my point is that a Maserati Coupe that costs $100k new and at a couple of years old is selling for $40-$50k has a much steeper initial rate of depreciation than a similar model year MB or BMW.

I see used MB and BMW cars that are $80-$90k new that are still more expensive than a similar model year Maserati - and the MB and BMWs have more miles on 'em.

I guess that's where I get confused. I can look up some examples, but this was more of a general feeling about the brands after looking at a bunch of used models.

My concern is that it will continue to depreciate much quicker than the other brands. That being said, I do plan on keeping it for a number of years (which I don't normally do with cars, but I think this is probably an exception), so it's not that big of a worry.

Now I suppose the bright side of this is that I CAN get a Maserati, a much more exotic car, for less than a mass produced European car.

alow

P.S. My 06 R350 has a 4 yr/50k mile warranty - I though MB changed to 4yr/50k miles warranty's in 03-04, but I could be wrong. I know BMW has been doing it for quite some time though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bmw M5

I have a friend that has an M5, he paid $96k for the car, new. He traded it in 15 months later and was given less than $70k. He would not tell me how much less.
I do not know of anyone, although I am sure they are out there, that paid MSRP for their new Maserati. Taking that into consideration, the depeciation is on par with other premium brands.

I purchased my '04 Coupe CC about 7 weeks ago for half the original sticker. the car had less than 4000 miles on the odo and so ar, I would not have spent my money on anything else. If you can find a car with some time left on the warranty, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
ownership

love my 02 cc spyder 18000 miles cincinnati ok dealer. stay away from columbus! drive to work every day 2 miles. battery charging a problem. not driven enough. call any time 8596191441 lexington ky

·
Registered
237 Posts
2 miles??!!!
For cripes sake do a few extra laps!
LOL

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Cayman is a very capable car I was planning on ordering one it is a very precise little track monster...I began to look around at used Masers as Porsche cars are very common around here and found a one year old maser with 9k on it for a little less then the Cayman with the options I wanted and I have to say it was the best choice I have ever made as for tires I just bought a full set for $600 so they are not as expensive as others believe while the maintainance costs are not cheap the Porsche annual services are far from reasonable either just drive one once you do decide if you want the cayman or the maser I will admit they are two VERY different automobiles you just need to see what fits your personality better!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The top Mercedes vehicles have dropped more than half inside three years. Pick up a Maserati with a couple of years on it and it will basically hold that value, or somewhat close, for the next couple of years. It's a win/win situation! :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's a "for instance". . .go to the MB AMG website here:
http://www.mbusa.com/models/body-style-overview.do?body=highPerformance

Check out the list prices of the SL65 ($187,775) and S65 ($182,575). Now, go to Autotrader.com or Cars.com and try to find a used 2006 for a little over 100K. . .guess what, there's several examples in the low 100's. Talk about taking a hit! And, the same holds true for all the AMG models, just not to that extreme.

The point is, MB, BMW, Porshce, etc., all take a hit. Maserati is no different. The moral, is to either buy used and save a lot: lease it through your business and write it off; or step up to the pump and buy new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I just got back from Maserati of Cincinnati. Talked with Scott Diehl, the sales guy.

Kind of a shocker with regards to "dealership". It's basically Scott's office which is a room within a larger older showroom for a Toyota used car lot. He didn't have any Coupes, only a few Quad's.

Scott was very nice and helpful, let me go over a car just to look and feel it. He knew alot about the model lines and told me about the general services and any issues he knew about with regards to the Coupes.

One thing he said, that I didn't see mentioned previously (but I'll search the forums a bit) was that the clutch for the F1 (and the manual as far as he knew) needed to be replaced every ~20k miles!!!:confused:

The service intervals and general maintenance costs didn't seem out of line, but $2500 every 18 months for a clutch!?

alow

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think the clutch life for the M/T should be much better than the CC trans.
Any data available on this?

I am leaning towards a pre-owned coupe M/T too. Call me old fashioned but I think it is more enjoyable to operate the foot clutch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts