Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the stock tires in my car.

Been reading a lot about the Hankook Ventus tires. My local fitter says they do not fit my car, but I see I can buy them at Carid.com

Any thoughts advise on these tires or, perhaps any other you could recommend?

Many thanks

S

·
Registered
427 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best handling summer tires out there, but there are other factors to consider such as cost, tread wear, all season, comfort, etc. The Hankook Ventus are a great value if you're not particular about any given factor.

I am looking to replace the stock tires in my car.

Been reading a lot about the Hankook Ventus tires. My local fitter says they do not fit my car, but I see I can buy them at Carid.com

Any thoughts advise on these tires or, perhaps any other you could recommend?

Many thanks

S

·
Registered
678 Posts
I use the Hankook Ventus on my 911tt. They are incredible tire value. My size there is 305/19/35. The PS2 is $500 each and the ventus is $90. The ventus is 95% the tire at 20% the cost. The added bonus is that they have lasted WAY longer than the 8k miles I normally got from MPS.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That is some comparison about the Hankooks! I had the summer PS2s on my 997.2 C2S, but only logged 7k on the clock, after 4 years, before I sold it. The tires were in good condition at that time, but being that the torque wasn't comparable to the GTS, it's a moot point. I had either the summer Pirelli Zero Rossos or summer PS2s on my '08 CLK 550, im leaning toward the Pirellis. The CLK had a boat load of torque (bout 400lbs) and peaked at 2,800 on the tach. Just blipping the throttle off the line would set them loose. I used it as a daily driver and had to switch out the rears @ 8k.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use the Hankook Ventus on my 911tt. They are incredible tire value. My size there is 305/19/35. The PS2 is $500 each and the ventus is $90. The ventus is 95% the tire at 20% the cost. The added bonus is that they have lasted WAY longer than the 8k miles I normally got from MPS.
I think you are exaggerating the price difference between the two tires. Michellin PSS are $339 and Hankook Ventus V12's are $266 on Tirerack in the 305/30-19 size. So maybe 20% less, but not 20% of the cost!

The Hankook Ventus RS-3's are comparable in performance to the Michellin PSS and the are listed at $350 on Tirerack.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think you are exaggerating the price difference between the two tires. Michellin PSS are $339 and Hankook Ventus V12's are $266 on Tirerack in the 305/30-19 size. So maybe 20% less, but not 20% of the cost!

The Hankook Ventus RS-3's are comparable in performance to the M!ichellin PSS and the are listed at $350 on Tirerack.
Yeah, my bad. I got them confused with my other favorite cheap tire - Sumitomo HTRZIII. Of course, these are only available on the TT running 18" wheels - but those are $125/each, 80% the tire. Not that great really, just cheap.

The vents V12...awesome tire.

·
Registered
771 Posts
On the other end of the comparison, the Hankooks might be much cheaper, but how do they look? It might sound silly, buy I've seen Hankooks on cars before and they look cheap / bargain basement, to me.
I would consider them for daily drivers, not exotics. A high end tire, is all a part of the "package". I think putting Hankooks on a Maserati is like wearing a Zegna suit w/ converse. lol

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm at 9k on my Pirelli PZeros. Fronts look great, backs are just about gone. Question - I plan to switch to Michelins, but am wondering if I should buy PZero rear tires and then switch to Michelins when the fronts wear out or should I switch all four now? What kind of mileage are you getting from your front PZeros?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm at 9k on my Pirelli PZeros. Fronts look great, backs are just about gone. Question - I plan to switch to Michelins, but am wondering if I should buy PZero rear tires and then switch to Michelins when the fronts wear out or should I switch all four now? What kind of mileage are you getting from your front PZeros?
On these cars, you should get double the miles out of your fronts than your rears, so 18-20K in your case. As to switching to Michelins now or staying with PZero's on the rears while you're waiting for the fronts to wear out, to me it's purely an aesthetic decision.

Outside of looks, I haven't seen a real convincing argument as to how brand new PZero rears would be better than any other brand just because you have worn PZero's on the front.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just switched from the PZeros to the Michelin PSS. I like the Michelins much better. Smoother ride over bumps and better traction. A certain spot in a road that I frequent, always caused the PZeros to lose traction. Not with the Michelins.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Mismatching tires, can cause some issues, because the tread pattern in the front doesn't match the rear. Also, aesthetically, I wouldn't do it anyway.

Here's a link to backup my statement!
Using mismatched tires | TireBuyer.com

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mismatching tires, can cause some issues, because the tread pattern in the front doesn't match the rear. Also, aesthetically, I wouldn't do it anyway.

Here's a link to backup my statement!
Using mismatched tires | TireBuyer.com
Mismatching was not considered, the question posed was 1) install new PZeros at the rear and wait until the fronts wear out to switch to Michelins or 2) switch all four to Michelins now. Given that owners are getting double the mileage out of fronts, I'm leaning toward the first option.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My rear Pzeros blew out at 5,000mi, fronts had about 40% wear. I changed the back out to Pilot Super Sports and left the front tires on.

Fronts lasted for another 4,000mi and I replaced with PSS all around. Mixing the front and rears did cause a bit of wobbling when driving in a straight line.

I actually preferred the driving feel of the Pzeros to the PSS. The level of grip and comfort was perfect for the GTS.

I also like the PSS, but it just doesn't feel as nice as the Pzeros. Only reason I am stick with the PSS is for the tread life. I am at 8,000mi with the PSS in the back and it's going strong. I would estimate about 40-50% wear. I wouldn't be surprised if they lasted for 16-20,000miles.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That is really interesting news. The P Zero comes in 3 or 4 versions front/back with a GranTurismo OEM version of each. They are super sticky but only give me c7000 miles on the rear. As you suggest the PSS will last longer but would I lose traction more?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Mismatching was not considered, the question posed was 1) install new PZeros at the rear and wait until the fronts wear out to switch to Michelins or 2) switch all four to Michelins now. Given that owners are getting double the mileage out of fronts, I'm leaning toward the first option.
Gotcha, I would go first option as well. Otherwise, you are throwing the money away on the good front tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It looks like the consensus of tire options for the GTS is:

1) Pirelli P-Zeros
2) Michelin Pilot Super Sport
3) Hankook Ventus R-S3

What is the best place to find these tires at? I am having trouble finding the Hankooks online. I live in SD, so all I need is summer tires.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2015 GranTurismo S Oceana/Cuoio/20" MC Design Titanio Lucido
65 Posts
It looks like the consensus of tire options for the GTS is:

1) Pirelli P-Zeros
2) Michelin Pilot Super Sport
3) Hankook Ventus R-S3

What is the best place to find these tires at? I am having trouble finding the Hankooks online. I live in SD, so all I need is summer tires.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,

I checked and my Costco can get the Michelin PSS. Other than them check with tirerack.com.

As for which tire, I posted in another thread a tire test done a couple years ago in which PSS finished first and P-Zero ninth.

I like spirited driving, not on the edge. I'm an old guy! :smile2:
I will lean toward the PSS as a replacement based on my research.

Installation is another issue. I get my tires for my other vehicles from Costco, but do I let them touch my GT?? TireRack.com lists installers in your area (I think).

Scott

1 - 20 of 28 Posts