Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be an ongoing thread for general discussion and not specific issues (which can be better dealt with in specific threads). Inspired by the Alfabb group that I am also a member of.

Last evening, I pulled the radio and surround off so I could de-sticky the plastics and see why the clock stuck.
Disassembly of the assembly is not difficult BUT you have to be careful not to crack any plastics or mucho $$$. Also, the semi-circular gears for the louvres can fall out of their place a sthey are only held on with a 2 finger pinchy thing. If you have non-working louvres up there, good chance one of these gears fell out.
Put it all back together after manually advancing the arms to high-noon. Hasn't budged.

So, today, started the QP and swore as the radio chose not to cooperate (display but no sound). Later, started the QP and had a functioning radio. Now, no radio. This is driving me nuts. If I leave the radio on, I get a high pitched shining sound. Will have to figure this out.

Carefully jacked the rear to change the pads in order to get my safety approved. One pad is thin. I had ordered a set of Bosche pads (but I also ordered a complete front-rear pad and rotor set that will not be here until Monday) . Unfortunately, the Bosche are for 2 pots and my Bimbos are 4 pots.

Aaaargh!

Your next!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What? No one else does anything Maserati related?
My day.... wait for the shipment of rotors and pads to arrive. Tried to buy some aftermarket pads locally but sent the wrong ones (2 pot size). At the oil change place, was going to order pads and have installed but the wait was 4-6 hours and just not possible so he gave me the item number (Wagner....just to get the car past safety then I was going to swap better pads) so I called ahead to the shop that did the safety for them to order pads and I would show up for the install....they sent the wrong pads (again, 2 pot). They ordered another set based on the serial number and the new pads arrived....wrong ones.
Frustrating for everyone.
Confirmed that he new set had 4 pot pads for the rear so I will install over the weekend and drive back down for the safety certificate.
This morning, installed a new inner mechanism on my wife's DD (Sentra) and will install an upstream 02 as well. Then clean the seat belt on the Miata so that can pass safety (won't pass if they do not retract...dealer price.... $1100 for the pair!!!)
Once they are done, back to the QP to find the misfire issue. No codes thrown so probably a dirty injector or air leak?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaned air box, MAF. received brake components. Got dark so fire up is tomorrow morning after a battery reset.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tried to replace the center caps without taking the wheels off. Couldn't do it. Gave up.

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
16 Posts
Haven’t done anything, but thinking of having ceramics done on my QP - my other car is in at the moment so if it looks great the QP is next. It now has some protective clear film on the front bumper and 1st third of the hood but that’ll have to come off as it’s damaged and discoloured. I’ll leave the film on the headlights as it’s still good…

·
Registered
139 Posts
jinster. Try getting an old credit card and work it around the center cap. It will lift enough then you can pop it out. Aloha dosh

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jinster. Are your caps slotted for front removal?
We just picked up an 87 MX6. How do you find the cost of dealer parts for the Porsche vs Maserati?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swapped the hood struts with replacements from Princess Auto (Canada) at about $29 for the pair tax in.
They are 16", 56 lbs. so just under 1/2 cm longer than stock. Both stock ones were flat enough that I could compress them easily by pushing down onto the ground and no idea what the stock lb rating is but the new ones seem properly balanced where the hood stays up and doesn't fight being lowered. Once the hood is down to about 1 ft above closed, the hood will close without me pushing so I don't think these shocks are too strong.
Removed the clock to see if there was an obvious issue as it will not move. The movement is pretty cheap, probably easy to replace with another from a similar clock BUT the board is likely specific due to the link to the setup feature on the radio. Very disappointing quality and available at from between $80 (ebay) up to $180 used or more! At least the original QP came with Cartier (or Lasalle?) clocks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As long as it was in a Maserati.
I changed my rear brakes today and now I have to look into epb adjustment. Took put the non working dash clock to see if that can be rescued as no way I'm dishing out from $90-$189 usd for something so cheap.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Jinster. Are your caps slotted for front removal?
We just picked up an 87 MX6. How do you find the cost of dealer parts for the Porsche vs Maserati?
Not slotted at all. That's why it's hard. I will try the credit card trick Kolohe suggested.

Arr... the MX6... I loved that car.. mad torque steer... beautiful 4 wheel steer... but last year it was totalled when someone drove into the back of it.... it's gone to the farm now...

The Maserati is a lot more bespoke. So the parts are much more expensive. The Boxster is very old now so plenty of wrecked cars to cannibalise from. That said, I haven't needed to do much to the QP5 in terms of repairs. I was able to replace the coolant tank and one coolant hose quite easily myself. By comparison, the Boxster is very tightly packaged and impossible to work on... Along the same vein, I recently acquired an LP560. Chose that over a F430 or California because of the shared Audi parts bin. It is an important consideration if you intend to keep the car for a while for sure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True, as more cars are cannibalized, parts may become more available but when aftermarket parts become more available, repairs become easier, more cost effective and the cars tend to live longer lives.
The center caps on the Maserati wheels are held in by plastic fingers and an internal clip. If you were able to pry out from outside, you risk cracking these fingers and the cap may not sit well or stay in. My Momo wheels, on my Alfa 164, have 5 inch caps with an external pry slot BUT the fingers have mostly snapped off so the clip no longer is reliable. I have to drill a hole and install a holding nut to keep them from falling off and at $100 each use, these caps are hard to find.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
119 Posts
Pulled the fronted underside cover to troubleshoot a non working side marker light, only to find the cable to it was disconnected. Likely since my last mechanic’s visit to get the FD sway bars installed. While I was under there, popped out the front running light assemblies and replaced the turn signals bulbs with LEDs.

Received and soldered on my FD ECM finally! Adding it to the DBW harness. Scheduled a dyno run for this Wednesday. Looking forward to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Maserati Granturismo S
64 Posts
Drove my 2010 Granturismo S to the office and then back home again today...... beautiful weather... windows open and in sport mode reminded me just why I spent all weekend battling a pesky airbag fault and then a trunk that would not latch.... pure automotive bliss!! These cars are so very special... and I feel truly blessed to be able to own one!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Pulled the fronted underside cover to troubleshoot a non working side marker light, only to find the cable to it was disconnected. Likely since my last mechanic’s visit to get the FD sway bars installed. While I was under there, popped out the front running light assemblies and replaced the turn signals bulbs with LEDs.

Received and soldered on my FD ECM finally! Adding it to the DBW harness. Scheduled a dyno run for this Wednesday. Looking forward to that!

Let us know the results, mate!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Retro-fitted eBay paddles and compatible shroud to my 07 Auto. Easy peasy
At same time treated myself to eBay near perfect condition light switch cluster and fitted that while I was under the dash

whole new dimension to the car now :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Retro-fitted eBay paddles and compatible shroud to my 07 Auto. Easy peasy
At same time treated myself to eBay near perfect condition light switch cluster and fitted that while I was under the dash

whole new dimension to the car now :)
Add some pictures.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
119 Posts
Dyno day! I’ll post this separately also, but following up here on my previous post.

Took my 04 Coupe CC to a performance tuning shop to get a dyno run done. No, I didn’t get a “before” run. Yes, I know that would have been optimal. Based on the other posts on here that discussed dyno results, such caveats appear necessary.

Bottom line, makes a lot more power at the wheel than stock. I’ll wager on that.

So…. Drumroll please…. 362 hp at the wheel! Did multiple runs and the results were consistent.
Mods that affected power are:
  • gutted out primary cats (they were blown when I purchased the car)
  • Larini sport cat secondaries and X Pipe (stock back boxes)
  • FD ECM set to a 93 octane tune
  • K&N cone air filter (removed air cleaner box)… yes, I added this to the list specifically to spin up the trolls

Next… track day tomorrow! Not likely to set any new personal bests as it’s going to be a wet one. A white knuckle day it shall be, trying to keep her well planted on those tight corners of the road course at Pacific Raceways. But I did get a new GPS sensor to get better data collection in the Track Addict app, so the wet and slow ride will still provide a solid test of that setup.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Todd. is the car noticeably louder with the stock cats gutted? Did you make up a cone adapter or is there a part number and is this single or double cone? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts