1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I was hoping it was going to have a back seat. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
And there should be back seats too (again, as far as I was told by insiders, though that was a while ago).

·
Registered
107 Posts
And there should be back seats too (again, as far as I was told by insiders, though that was a while ago).
I was under the impression there are two convertibles coming: 1) a convertible of the granturismo (deliveries in 2009), and 2) a convertible of a shortened granturismo (deliveries in 2010). i guess no one really knows.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wasn't aware of that. But why would they build two models?
I heard they would build a smaller, 2-seater convertible aimed at the more "sporting" crowd to extend the appeal of the brand to a wider public. It could have a new high-output V6 engine being developed today by Maserati, which would be cheaper to build & cheaper to maintain than the V8.

Basically it seems they're looking to get right into the Porsche Cayman/Boxster market. Mission impossible?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I don't think it's mission impossible, as long as their target production numbers are reasonable. I'd hate to think that if they pushed the envelope with their assembly lines, product quality may deteriorate and Maserati may kiss goodbye to the hard earned reputation they've built since the launch of the Coupe'.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't think it's mission impossible, as long as their target production numbers are reasonable. I'd hate to think that if they pushed the envelope with their assembly lines, product quality may deteriorate and Maserati may kiss goodbye to the hard earned reputation they've built since the launch of the Coupe'.
The problem I see in fighting Porsche is that they are a mass-production industrial enterprise with enormous economies of scale and shared components across all product platforms. There is no way Maserati could match Porsche's economies of scale with its sales volumes (10,000 per year against Porsche's 160,000?) and with its small-scale production operations. And even if the new convertible did increase global sales, it would take years before Maserati could build up enough volume to become competitive on price. So, either they'd have to price the new car just about at cost to aggressively take on the market (but how long could they sustain this strategy financially?) or they'd have to price it way above the Cayman/Boxster bracket, thus not generating the volumes they need.

It is a difficult one.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I think they can price the new car higher than the Porkers and still sell 2~3,000 a year, which should be more than enough to get some decent returns on capital invested.

If it gets done, the V6 is probably going to be used by Alfa also (for the 159/Brera GTA - perhaps slightly detuned), so some economies of scale could be used there.

The other bits could come from the GT, though they'd have to seriously chop the platform and I have no idea how much that would cost.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My sense is that this car will be a 2 seater GT with a hard-top. If you guys recall, somone had posted a picture of a junked hard-top convertible maserati which only had 2 seasts. This production could very well be it. I doubt they would throw a V6 in right now (too much overhead) The'll throw the same v8 as in the GT and what we will have is exactly what we got the last go around with the 4200. We'll have a 4 seater in the coupe (the GT) and a two seater spyder (albit with the hard-top convertible) version. We may also see a two seater GTS spyder with the 4.7L come out at some point.

It makes perfect sense to do this and it is inline with Maserati upping the quality vice performance angle. Hard-tops are popular, the ferrari california has it and so will the Maz, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I agree with the hard top, nowadays all the high-end convertibles have hard top, actually, even Mazda Miata, VW Eos... A soft top would be a big mistake.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Not sure it'll be a mistake per se. If the soft-top means they can keep the weight down it could be a better option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for off-topic question, but I'm going to purchase a '04 CC soon (as soon as I can get rid of my BMW Z4M) and therefore want to know your opinion how the launch of the new Spyder is going to effect 4200 prices?

Spyder is clearly designed similar to GT, so I'm afraid that Maser's "old" design (3200, 4200, GS) is going to lose value significantly.

So - should I wait until the launch of the new Spyder to get a better deal or does 4200 become a modern classic and holds its value like Ferraris and many Porsches?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Hard to tell but I think the GT has been taking more clients away from the Germans than actually being bought by people with the Coupe'/Spyder.

·
5,887 Posts
So - should I wait until the launch of the new Spyder to get a better deal or does 4200 become a modern classic and holds its value like Ferraris and many Porsches?
Waiting will surely get you a better deal. Sadly, there seems to be no price bottom for Maseratis. With that said, most, Ferrari and Porsche values are sinking fast as well.

Remember, every month you wait, is a month without the HUGE "Maserati smile" that most owners sport ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't think the new spyder will affect the price of the 4200 at all because there's a big price gap between them. Also, if you are worried about the price of admission you are going to be surprised with maintenance costs...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, if you are worried about the price of admission you are going to be surprised with maintenance costs...
Niteroi, would you buy a car for a certain sum if you could have the same car for a lot less in half year's time?

What comes to maintenance costs, I seriously doubt it. Having owned a C55 AMG (extremely rare but unreliable w202 model) I had to replace gearbox twice, three clutches etc., totaling in more than 8000 EUR in 1,5 years. So I have a pretty good overview how is it to spend thousands of euros at the dealership without commiting suicide:)

Also, the funny thing is that we don't have a Maser dealership here in Estonia so the closest ones are in Finland and Latvia. Wish me luck:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I personally don't think the Spyder will depreciate that much in relative terms but in absolute terms, given the financial crisis going on, I see a lot of people forced to sell cars of all makes and push prices down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts