Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if and when the next generation maser spider/coupe will be available? I've heard that the new spider will have a retractable hardtop which I think would make it a smashing success. Any ideas on horsepower, dimensions, etc. Will the new realignment with alfa change anything?

freezing in montreal

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just posted this on another website:

I cut and pasted this from Autoweeks website. When I read a company is in a product freeze that is never good news. Hopefully it is just a rumor.

"Maserati cool-down?

Reports are swirling that Italian sports car maker Maserati is considering canceling the Coupe and Spyder, citing a possibility that profits may never cover the cost of tooling up production for the cars.

At the very least, the company is in a product “freeze” due to the recent executive changes on the Fiat and Ferrari-Maserati front. While Maserati officials assess the situation, they assure us that contrary to Italian press reports, the company has not merged with Alfa, Fiat or anyone else.

At the same time, Maserati is going ahead with plans to add a new 5.7-liter V12-powered Quattroporte to its lineup. The plush new Maserati flagship will get power from a version of parent company Ferrari’s V12."

·
Registered
115 Posts
thebimbo, happy posting to you indeed, and congratulations on reaching your double century !

P.S. Looking at your portrait I'd have said at least 300, but appearances can be deceptive.... :D

tfaz, I wouldn't worry about the maze of conflicting reports - they're too confusing and contradictory.

Judging by the excellent build quality of my GranSport I cling to the conviction that Maserati couldn't possibly throw away all the progress they've made in recent years.

Fingers crossed ! 8)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any ideas on how the new spider/coupes will be priced? If maserati wants to capitalize on the success of the QP and to give people confidence about the management change with Alfa I think it needs to put out another "winner". I have not purchased a current spider for the simple reason that the styling is too conservative and generic. An Italian car needs needs to look Italian otherwise why not buy German or japanese.

Looking forward to the new spider in Montreal!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Italiaspeed today has posted some info on the new "Dino" as well as the Maserati Spyder replacement. Apparently, reliable sources say that the new Spyder will be unveiled at the Frankfurt Autoshow.Testing is essentially complete. This would make sense based on other info that is available. There are rumors about switching the platform from a shortened QP to the Alfa premium platform. I am not sure that such a re-design could be ready by september. I have from several sources that the new Spyder has been recently spotted in the streets of Modena. I hope that all the rumors of the project being killed are false and that we see a new Spyder with a rigid retractable roof and 470 horsepower in the near future. There is no "real" sportscar today that has a retractable hardtop so Maserati would be unique that way (I'm sorry but MB and Lexus do not count).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
birdness said:
... There is no "real" sportscar today that has a retractable hardtop so Maserati would be unique that way (I'm sorry but MB and Lexus do not count).
the SL 55 AMG has been quite respectable and the benchmark for the past few years.

how many cars have retractable hardtops anyways, besides MB and Lexus?

caddy? peugeot? E90 3 series or 4 series when it is out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any further developments on the new Maser spyder. Italiaspeed says it will be unveiled at the frankfurt auto show in Sept. Is this fact or speculaiton?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
birdness
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing