Maserati Forum banner

New (soon to be) GT Owner in NYC

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  charlestlm 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Very excited to finally join this forum! I am located in NYC and I have been browsing through the forum a lot in the past few weeks as I was working my way to the decision to purchase the GT. I am now waiting to pick up my 2014 GT Sport (about 24k miles) next week once the dealer is done with all procedures. I was wondering if there are any members in the area with recommended independent mechanics/third-party warranties, etc. I'm also wondering how you guys are dealing with NY State's mandatory front license plate law. The traffic/parking tickets here seem to be about $200, which is a lot more expensive than some of the tickets in other States. I truly would hate to put a front plate on the beautiful grill... I have seen the retractable one which looks good but I've heard that it is easily damaged when parking.

This will be my first time owning a Maserati as well, so any general tips, dos and do nots, all will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Hi all,

Very excited to finally join this forum! I am located in NYC and I have been browsing through the forum a lot in the past few weeks as I was working my way to the decision to purchase the GT. I am now waiting to pick up my 2014 GT Sport (about 24k miles) next week once the dealer is done with all procedures. I was wondering if there are any members in the area with recommended independent mechanics/third-party warranties, etc. I'm also wondering how you guys are dealing with NY State's mandatory front license plate law. The traffic/parking tickets here seem to be about $200, which is a lot more expensive than some of the tickets in other States. I truly would hate to put a front plate on the beautiful grill... I have seen the retractable one which looks good but I've heard that it is easily damaged when parking.

This will be my first time owning a Maserati as well, so any general tips, dos and do nots, all will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Welcome friend...and CONGRATS! I also have a 2014 GT Sport, Grigio Alfieri.

don't forget to drop a pic

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

#7 ·
Welcome friend...and CONGRATS! I also have a 2014 GT Sport, Grigio Alfieri.

don't forget to drop a pic

View attachment 139845
This is definitely my favorite GT color!
Thank you! Your car is stunning! My GT is Grigio Granito... I think. And I am looking to powder coat my rims black as well (maybe chrome delete everything as well). Right now I only have the photos from the dealership and some crappy ones I took in the rain when I went for my first test drive. Will certain post proper pics once I take ownership!

View attachment 139847

View attachment 139848

View attachment 139846
Did it come without the pininfarina badge? I'd put it back on! I wish my MC had that badge but I get why it's not on there!

#3 ·
Thank you! Your car is stunning! My GT is Grigio Granito... I think. And I am looking to powder coat my rims black as well (maybe chrome delete everything as well). Right now I only have the photos from the dealership and some crappy ones I took in the rain when I went for my first test drive. Will certain post proper pics once I take ownership!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

#9 ·
If i was you and had to do the front license plate, then the power retractable one would be my choice along with a front parking camera available withe the AUCAR stereo upgrade.
Also replace the battery if its even close to end of life.
Oh yea and ENJOY THE RIDE is the best advice

#10 ·
If i was you and had to do the front license plate, then the power retractable one would be my choice along with a front parking camera available withe the AUCAR stereo upgrade.
Also replace the battery if its even close to end of life.
Oh yea and ENJOY THE RIDE is the best advice
The used one I'm buying actually came with the AUCAR head unit and AC control + rear parking camera. The front parking camera + retractable one sounds like a great combo. Thanks!

#12 ·
Hi all,

So I am a noob here, but since I am somewhat local (Bergen County NJ), I thought I would chime in: my neighbor uses and is very happy with Exoticars USA - Milford, NJ 1-888-416-7160. My neighbor has a variety of vintage exotics and I consider him very knowledgeable for what it’s worth.
Now there is a thread here: Best Maserati Mechanic in the tri-state area? where a person named Gordon took issue with that shop, but knowing my neighbor and how picky he is, I personally dismissed the Gordon complaint.

As for the front plate, I don’t run one. The ticket is a minor offense and only a $100-200 fine depending on the town I am driving in. I have been running various cars without a front plate and I’ve only ever been ticketed once (in upstate NY). I paid $100 fine, and still run that car without a front plate.
You have a beautiful car. Good luck with it!

#13 ·
So I am a noob here, but since I am somewhat local (Bergen County NJ), I thought I would chime in: my neighbor uses and is very happy with Exoticars USA - Milford, NJ 1-888-416-7160. My neighbor has a variety of vintage exotics and I consider him very knowledgeable for what it’s worth.
Now there is a thread here: Best Maserati Mechanic in the tri-state area? where a person named Gordon took issue with that shop, but knowing my neighbor and how picky he is, I personally dismissed the Gordon complaint.

As for the front plate, I don’t run one. The ticket is a minor offense and only a $100-200 fine depending on the town I am driving in. I have been running various cars without a front plate and I’ve only ever been ticketed once (in upstate NY). I paid $100 fine, and still run that car without a front plate.
You have a beautiful car. Good luck with it!
Thank you so much for your input! Have you personally had any work done yet at Exoticars?

#16 ·
Hi all,

Enjoy it is a great machine! The retractable plate is great it can damage if you go over a parking stone or curb. I back in with those situations. It is a great drive and nice to own something special and different instead of all the BMW and Vettes.
Got it, thanks again for the recommendation, very helpful.

#17 ·
Hi all,

I installed one of these and keep the plate in the trunk ready to install if/when stopped. Haven't had to yet, though most willing to explain my absent mindedness in not reinstalling the plate after the car show - wash & shine. Yuk yuk. Anyway worth a try. Font Rectangle Pattern Electric blue Art

#18 ·
Thanks! I actually saw a post on these forums about these sto n sho mounts and bought the same one off Amazon. Its still in the box though, I'm very hesitant to put it on myself... I live in an apartment complex with a small valet garage so there isn't really space for me to work on it. Did you install yours by yourself? Did you need to have the car lifted up/on a ramp of some sort?

#21 ·
Hi all,

I bought a 2013 GT from. Massachusetts dealer off lease with 21,000 miles in April of 2017. I was living in Maine at the time. I now have 31,000 miles on it. I replaced a battery,rear tires, engine filter and plugs. Moved to Florida in January 2018. Best thing I ever did. Much cheaper to register here. I use Leland West collector car insurance to save money. The premium is about $1300/year which includes agreed upon value for replacement if the car is stolen or totaled not book value. In Maine they also require a front license plate. I bought a license plate holder that bolts on to the existing bolts under the front chassis. No holes to drill. You can flip it down and it disappears. Nice to have at car shows. I bought it on the internet. Very reasonable. You also need to look into a battery charger. Maserati has one for about $175. It’s best to have a piggyback wire hooked up to your battery and then all you need to do is plug it in and forget about it. If you don’t drive for a few weeks you are apt to have a dead battery. Good luck! These cars are so much fun to drive. They get great looks and sound fantastic. As the Canadians say they go like ‘stink’.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.