Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
After getting new brakes for my 2017 Granturismo MC, now I need 2 new tires for the rear. After going to TireRack to find the OEM tires, the Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 MGT is out of stock. So my question is since I leased the car, do I have to replace with the same exact OEM tire? Can I get a Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 non-specific tires for replacement? Last time when I had a nail in the front tire, I also checked TireRack and they were out of stock on the MGT. I had no choice but to go to local tire place and had them look for new tires. The only ones they had were Pirelli P-Zero Run Flats in the same size and rating. So I had those put on instead. These Run Flats are not as grippy as the OEM. They also ride much harsher than the OEM. The good thing is I don't have to worry using the can sealer for the front tires now. Any comments are welcome.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Michelin Pilot S 4 - no question - just put 4 on last week and love them and much quieter than the P-Zero's and they should last longer....I also got the needed alignment to fix the factory "Toe out" setting which will reduce inner front tire wear.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
+1 on the Michelin's....
Pilot Super Sports over here! Love this tire (y)(y)(y)
+1 . I have them on ALL our cars . I’ve owned and driven on almost every top rated tires brands there are out there , on sports cars and GTs, and sedans , and have not experienced anything better than the Michelin Pilots line, , whether PS2, SuperSports or S 4 .. when all factors are considered ( handling , both dry and wet grip, ride , quietness, longevity, etc ) . Also I don’t know if the Michelin patent expired and other manufacturers are also doing this now, but they used to be the only tires with a specially reinforced interior wall which makes them more resistant to damage , blow outs , etc . Can’t put a price on safety, IMO.

·
Registered
418 Posts
super sports and sport 4s's are fantastic. if an alternative weather tire is needed, i've run many a set of pilot sport a/s 3+'s. also fantastic.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You should also consider the Continental Extreme Contact Sports (ECS). I have them on my Miata and Lotus and both have been driven at track. Miata at Palmer and was merciless on them. Evora at VIR recently. They are amazing tires...approaching the levels of my Toyo R888's and R888r's!!! Advantage is you don't have to pay for the donut eating fat guys advertising budget.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the comments so far. Has anyone use Vredestein tires on their Granturismo? I need the rear replacement tire that can last until next May when the lease is up. I do not track my car. And I don't want to spend more than OEM Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If its a lease turn in, I'd make sure all 4 tires are same brand and type. Could haunt you at trade in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ddsski for the advice. I went to check on my lease agreement. They will charge me if I have damaged, missing, or mismatched tires. And tires less than 1/8th inch or not comparable in quality to the OEM. So I think I will probably get the Pirelli rears at this time. I only just changed the fronts this summer. My only concern is that the front Pirelli are run flats. They don't have the same tread patterns as the rear OEM tires. And for $65 more, I can get 4 Vredesteins tires.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you can survive on current tires dont change them and turn it back in next year
that is not sound, considering the terms of lease turn in. he said his lease conditions state 1/8" tread, which amounts to 4/32. new tires start at about just over 9/32. GTs chew up those rears, so if he is being preemptively advised to get tires, they'll likely be shot within short order.
unfortunate that you have to match the front two run flats. i don't think i've ever offered or been requested to put run flats on a maserati....
also, for those wanting an alternate "ok" cheaper option, kumho ecsta ps91 appears to be a pilot super sport replica; much cheaper and handles pretty ok, considering the large price difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason my tire installer put on the Pirelli run flats was because that's the only Pirelli in that size they have available. And they even took 2 days to locate them. I usually order my tires from Tirerack. And even they had back order on the Pirelli. Worn tires are sometime I don't want to wait. If I paid for them, at least I want to enjoy them before returning the car. My lease ends in May 2020. I still have 7 months left to enjoy the car. I got 21,000 miles in 32 months so far. I can return the car 3 month early if I get another Maserati.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank you everyone for the comments so far. Has anyone use Vredestein tires on their Granturismo? I need the rear replacement tire that can last until next May when the lease is up. I do not track my car. And I don't want to spend more than OEM Pirelli tires.

I just put them on the front of my car last year and while I was getting gas the guy pumping noticed I had a bubble in the sidewall. I looked at the other wheel and it had the same thing. Needless to say I wont be buying Vred's again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Or see if anyone on here has a pre-owned set that you could install (since u only have about 7 months to return)

im in the midwest, will hardly get to drive it in the winter..

·
Registered
371 Posts
I replaced my Michelins with Vredesteins because I had bubbles on my Michelins (3rd time that this has happened to me with Michelin). Very happy with them so far. I still have michelins on my Ghibli and love them despite the bubble issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They will charge me if I have damaged, missing, or mismatched tires. And tires less than 1/8th inch or not comparable in quality to the OEM.
I don't think this is saying you have to have all same round the car... just make sure you have the same tire on each side of the axle.
The rules are really about trying to make sure the car is 'sellable' once you return it.. So no strange 1 corner being different from the others.. and no cheapo brand since you got some mid-tiered (but high priced) originals.
you need to make sure is of same quality as the OEM pirelli's. I run Vreds on my GTS and love them.. great grip, and in all the years I've used, both in US and europe, I never had issues with the quality.. That said many folks in US don't know Vreds and you run a risk that the inspector rates them below the OEM quality (they are not) so stick with Bridgestone, Continental or Michelin. Stay away from the real cheap brands and you should be ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts