Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few of you have helped with, aparrently the reason my Spyder cc 'pops' on deceleration is because of the a/f mixture.

If I use normal unleaded rather than the more expensive super unleaded fuel, will the pops be reduced?

·
Registered
744 Posts
ECU did not reduce popping

No... The pops will be worse and your engine will misfire over and over....

If you dont like the pops, and want an extra 30-40 hp, call Jeff and have him shoot you over an ECU
I recently had the FD ECU installed. Definately more power (I think it is closer to 20HP than 40 based on Jeff's posted dyno runs).

I did not notice any reduction in the popping whatsoever though (I have Tubis). In fact it sounds like there is more popping but it could be my imagination.

Did anyone else notice a difference in the exhaust sound/ popping after installing the FD ECU chip (better or worse)? Jeff, what is the impact in this regard suppposed to be?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the popping is normal

on any car just more pronounced on the maserati... its not hurting anything and just normal as the engine is running leaner when you are slowing down and using the engine as break.. semis do it all the time its called a jacobs break and they do it for miles at a time...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Flash,

If the ECU is tuned for the exhaust, I assume it would add a bit more hp?
Good point - I forgot about that. Jeff noted that mine was tuned for a Tubi - maybe another 5HP would be a reasonable expecation so your 30HP quote is probably not far off.

Jeff also said he is going to retune my ECU to match the new Larini X Pipe, high flow main cats, and cleaned out pre-cats. This should give another 20 HP so all in all the FD mods in aggegate will really ratchet up the power (a bit at a time).

I figure the Tubis give +10, ECU +25, X Pipe and cats +20, plus maybe a couple for the BMC filter. Should be pretty close to 450HP which is respectable! After everything is done, I intend to get it dynoed to confirm.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Gordon, you have gutted precats too?

I am missing all four of my cats ahaha... Getting the Race Cats from him soon...

How did it effect the sound?
I haven't actually got it all yet. The X pipe is in transit and I will be ordering the high flow cats next week after talking it over with Jeff (been busy last week so no time to get it ordered).

I will let you know in a couple of weeks when everything is done.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am looking forward to hearing this clip!!!

I love the Ferrari F1 car up close, even though it's thunderous, so this will be a treat!

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Running without cats is nuts... very loud, too loud. Fun for a few days maybe ;)

We can correct the A/F ratio to increase or decrease those sounds. By default, we leave a little in. Our customers seems to love that sound!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.