Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm most likely picking the new Masse up on Saturday assuming the inspection goes well - no reason to believe it won't.

Is there a way to estimate the clutch life remaining on this 6 speed ?? The dealer, who appears to be honest and upfont, has advised that he does not know the life or whether its been replaced - the car has 24k miles - He did say that the clutch peddle is about 2 inches higher than the brake/gas pedals when in the full out position - is this normal ??

He also thinks the clutch engages closer to the full out position than when you just start releasing it from fully depressed position - is this normal or an adjustment issue ? Can you adjust the length of the clutch pedal depression ?

One last item, if the car does not have NAV, why do I have an antenna on the rear-driver panel ??
Thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The clutch pedal on my 6M/T sits about 2" higher than the brake pedal, and the engagement point is when the pedal is almost fully out.
It has been like that since new, and there is no way that I have found to adjust it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - this is exactly how the dealer described it. Sounds like this is normal - just odd as all other manuals seem to engage as you release the clutch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Navi

If your car is a 2002 the radio antena is on the rear fender. The Nav antena is under the vent in the center of the dash. You can not see it, I had to have the nav antena instaled there in my car. And then I had the dealer for a fee ,activate the nav in the nit computer. The all you need is a copy of the nav CD for your area. As I said in an earlier post, If you go to your local dealer and give them the vin # and tell them you are going to buy the car and service it with them they should be able to print up the service records from the national Maserati data base. My dealer did it for me. That way you will know what's been done on the car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- but I'm running into a dead en on the records. The selling dealer wont send them based on privacy issues. Maserati direct and my local dealer advised that there is no national database. and Maerati wont even send me a copy of the original window sticker which I know they have.

Is the antenna then simply the radio, and if so, why don't thy all have it ?

(hanks again for all the help

·
Registered
635 Posts
I know that when I told my dealer (Ferrari and Maserati of Seattle) that I wanted the original window sticker for my car when I bought it last year. They said "no problem" and it was mailed to me directly from Maserati North America.

The history of my car was pretty easy to follow via a copy of CarFax that they provided also. Showed when the car was sold, each time it went through emissions, etc..

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I'm most likely picking the new Masse up on Saturday assuming the inspection goes well - no reason to believe it won't.

Is there a way to estimate the clutch life remaining on this 6 speed ?? The dealer, who appears to be honest and upfont, has advised that he does not know the life or whether its been replaced - the car has 24k miles - He did say that the clutch peddle is about 2 inches higher than the brake/gas pedals when in the full out position - is this normal ??

He also thinks the clutch engages closer to the full out position than when you just start releasing it from fully depressed position - is this normal or an adjustment issue ? Can you adjust the length of the clutch pedal depression ?

One last item, if the car does not have NAV, why do I have an antenna on the rear-driver panel ??
Thanks.

Not sure what you're looking at, but the "bumps" on the rear deck are simply covers for the child seat restraint mounts, not a Sat antenna. I don't even know where the Nav antenna is!

There's an antenna built into the windscreen for the radio.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Window Sticker

For the window sticker call Nicole Benker in Lagistics #201-816-2600 Ext# 2644 / Or Kevin Fushetto same main # Ext # 3291. All they asked me for was a copy of my DMV paper work. To show ownership.

For the service records, ask the selling dealer to black out all of the personal info, like name, addres, phone ect.
Ron

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ron A. - Thanks for the numbers, I'll try contacting them in the morning-As to the dealer records, I told them exactly that - delete all personal info of the prior owner - they are claiming that the records are the prior owners and they can't release them - nonsense - this is a Chicago dealer - I have a call in to the dealer's owner.

I did get a printout of the original order info related to the car which did validate the Skyhook option and service date.

My local dealer and Maserati both stated that there is no national data base of service - I don't know, but find it hard to believe that Maserati is not tracking all the issue on their cars, and if their not, that's a problem for all of us.

I went through the posted due diligence list and made up my own on what to review before I take possession. I'm not going to be able to bring it to an independent, although the dealer did bring it to his local independent and asked him to prepare a written report for me. Both seem to be reputable, so assuming if nothing stands out at me, I have to take a leap of faith,. I am somewhat proficient at ensuring that it has no accidents, rattles, excess wear, etc. The only real issue I can't tell is clutch life or any other internal - which no independent can really do either.

Open to advise , however - perhaps I should start a new post.

Thanks to all in helping with my first Maserati purchase but I'm going to miss my 911.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ran into the same problem regarding service records. Mine was originally sold by FMSF but they refused to release any records stating it was a policy of theirs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
FM Denver provided me with prior records after removing all owner's info.

Apparently there is no national database as hard as that seems to believe.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The lack of a national database is weird. If you decide to relocate, say, from FLA to SFO, and you get a mechanical problem, how on the heck can the SFO dealer grab the car service history to use as benchmark for diagnosis..?

The fact that a national database exists in the UK (anywhere I go I just give them the VIN # and all the service history pops-up in a sec...) makes me wonder.

Here in the UK and not in the US..? How's THAT for a change..? :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
[Is the antenna then simply the radio, and if so, why don't thy all have it ?

All early 4200's had the rear fender antenna fitted because of radio reception issues with the windshield antennas.
This was later resolved on later cars hence no extra rear fender antenna.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[Is the antenna then simply the radio, and if so, why don't thy all have it ?

All early 4200's had the rear fender antenna fitted because of radio reception issues with the windshield antennas.
This was later resolved on later cars hence no extra rear fender antenna.
Thanks - mystery cleared

·
Registered
909 Posts
As far as I know only dealers keep service history, although Maserati does keep track of warranty claims, I'm not sure if there is a way to get that information. I'm guessing not. While I can see that any service records would have the customer's information on them, anyone with a sharpie and a copier can take care of that..

As for clutch wear in the MT cars - they are not equipped with the same sensors as the CambioCorsa cars, so you can't get a computer printout. The only way to find out if it was changed was to get service records from the servicing dealer. At 24k on a manual its unlikely its been changed. I believe the clutch is a self-adjusting hydraulic setup, which the engagement point should always calibrate to the same spot, regardless of wear.

Because of the torque tube there is no easy way to get to the clutch (vs. a F360 whose clutch sits out behind the transmission) but I know on the QP there are inspection holes in the bell-housing. It's been a while since I've been under a coupe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the holes as well.

To see if the car has nav > turn on the infotainment center, and hit the nav button. Even without a NAV cd you will get the sensor readouts - what direction you're pointed, etc.. Try to get the CDs if it has NAV - they are expensive! As per a previous post, the nav antenna is buried in the upper dash, below the windshield, under the slotted cover.

Window stickers can be ordered by a Maserati dealer through their internal website.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts