Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Just bought a 2002 Coupe 6 speed, recently delivered to San Francisco area. It is Rosso Bologna, tan/black, with only 3600 miles. It is a blast, and the car is essentially "stupid fast". I seem to be attracted to 2+2s, as I also own a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE.
I will have some better pics of the new babe tomorrow, but here is a phone camera pic of the blessed event.
:)
A few questions to the cognescenti:

1. My HVAC system displays the "low Batt" warning when I first start the car. Manual states that the system will return to normal after self diagnosis, but often this takes 5 or more miles of driving until the fan speed can be greater than 3 bars and the display turns black. It usually happens from cold. I checked for drain and battery health, no probs, so I will probably have a dealer look at it. Am I alone with this issue?
2. Since California only has 91 super, am I actually going to see decreased performance. Any chemical engineers?
3. Car was delivered without NAV CD. Can I used a generic one, can someone burn me a copy?
4. My car often dies after starting, both hot and cold. I have seen posts in the archive stating that this is fixed by the ECu update, and also that this was caused by the ECU update. Hmmm.....
5. How do I mount a plate on the front? CA gives tickets for this, so I probably need to source a bracket. Sell me yours if your state law is different?
6. I have slight cat shield rattle at idle, some sealing issues at driver's door, and I need to adjust the p brake, but otherwise, I am pretty happy. I am torn about the Tubi. I love the sound file, but I need to drive one with it to see how bad the under 3500 resonance is.

Thanks in advance
Sincerely
Luke

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Luke

Congratulations on your purchase! I applaud your color choice, as that is the color I chose for my 04 Spyder CC.

I cannot answer most of your questions, but I can emphatically encourage the purchase of a Tubi exhaust. It changes the nature of the car dramatically; the sound is amazing! I don't think ANYONE on this site will argue against the Tubi.

D.Min

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Luke,

Welcome to the site, happy to have you here. I like your color choice and look forward to seeing photos once it is off the truck. I also cannot answer your question. Sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tubi -get one!

Luke,

Congrats on your buy. I know you are going to enjoy the car. Whatever it is fix a Tubi. It will double your enjoyment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
New Owner Into

Luke,

Your problem with the HVAC system is common among 2002's. Take it to the dealer and they can solve the problem for you under warranty. Same with the heat shield rattle and probably the parking brake.
As for the front tag, I would wait and see how strickly that law is enforced, a lot of states require a front tag but very few actually enforce it.
The ECU updates is a gamble, if your happy with the way the car performs now, don't chance it with updated software.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, after I started driving the car for a while, the stalling issue went away, as did the "Low Batt" indicator on the climate control. I guess the car sat in the showroom and the battery needed to get fully charged. The rattle remains. P Brake adjustment should be easy, too.
It would be nice if there was a workshop manual for the car, but I have not seen in. I would like to do some things myself, even in the age of specialized tools and electronic diagnostics. The owner's manual does not even describe the oil change (I will figure that one out).
BTW, is there a good source for AGIP oil in the US, other than the dealer? I have heard that the factory is rigid about owners using this brand...
And...unfortunately, CA imposes fines for no front plates. One friend got ticketed in Palo Alto for $65, and the other in San Francisco for $80. Not good when you are diving for change between the couch cushions in order to buy the Tubi.

thx
luke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exhaust system

Luke,

they guys at SF Maserati will install an exhaust system that gives you the sound you want w/out the expense of a Tubi (I think they charge less than $1k, I don't have the exact amount because they threw it in).

I would highly recommend becoming friends with them and patronizing them a little. I know it's expensive to have them service the car, but they know what they're doing and these cars can be a idiosyncratic. The manager is Bruce.

p.s. Nice color, it was one of my favorites too (I have a Goodwood Green '04 Coupe Cambio)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was actually going to buy a 2002 CC from them, but that car had 14K miles, and the clutch showed 59% wear. They were extremely professional, courteous, and even let me take the car on a 20 minute drive with both of my kids in the back. I cannot say enough good things about how I was treated. The car I drove actually had that modification, and it was quite nice.
I made a service appointment for next week, so I will definitely let them handle the warranty work. They even promissed a loaner (I wander what kind?).
Are you local?
If yes, there has to be a time, or an excuse for a spirited drive or lunch...Once the holiday craziness is a little under control.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Problems w/starting; A/C Low Battery Warning

Dear Luke,

Welcome to the club. I have been through two E.C.U. updates. The first fixed my cold start stumble, the second intermittently starves the engine of gas and doesn't allow the car to start. A bit of throttle on the back end of the crank usually does the trick. With regard to the A/C warning, make sure your key is returning all the way back towards you after cranking the engine. My ignition switch sometimes doesn't spring back to the beginning position. In the last 1/8" of travel back towards you, the A/C system kicks on. Good Luck!

Ciao,

Frankie P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Frankie P
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing