Maserati Forum banner

New Owner/ Fuel Additives

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  DSGT 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm the owner of a new 2006 black Maserati Coupe GT 6-speed purchased from Maserati of Houston this past February. Do any of you use any fuel additives, such as Red Line or Lucas Oil gasoline additives? Is using these
detrimental to the engine? This is my first true high performance car & I'm
thoroughly enjoying it! Beats the hell out of the '95 Mercedes diesel I had
before this one...

#2 · (Edited)
Hiya and welcome. No doubt it will "beat the hell" out of a Merc diesel..! :D

As for additives, I cannot give you a precise indication on the Maser as I have not used them. Did on my 550 a couple of times, but mostly to get the advantage from specific additives to "clean-up" the combustion chamber, not for added boost.

Bear in mind the way the ECU, as mapped from factory, does not allow you to take much (if any) advantage from extra RON (or PON in the US, ~4 units lower than RON) through additives. So going past 97 RON (or ~93 PON) would yield nothing perceptible, I think.

Just my 2c.

#5 ·
Fuel additives can be harmful to engines, and are helpful in only one of two ways: 1) The ones that actually boost fuel octane, and 2) The ones that actually work to prevent engine build-up.

For 1), it has been determined in the past that it is probably safer and more effective to simply buy higher-grade fuel, although as mentioned before, I'm not sure how much the stock ECU can benefit from this. For 2), I find it cheaper and easier to simply buy fuel with cleaning agents added (like Techron™) on a regular basis.

#7 ·
After about 45 + years of numerous types of cars ownership, tracking cars as well, and whilst continuously surrounded by mechanics and gear-head friends alike, I was made to believe that any and all additives, whether made for oil or for fuel are nothing but " snake oil " , do nothing whatsoever to clean and enhance anything, and some might even cause premature wear of the engine and components. And yet, I have used an additive to my coolant for all these years ( Water Wetter ) in every car, and I can categorically say it makes a very significant and positive difference in the cars' cooling system. In hot weather, every temperature gauge in every car I've had runs at about 20%-25% below the temps it does without the additive. No negative affect on the coolant, radiators or anything else. So maybe not all additives are snake oil, and some could be helpful to clean and preserve certain systems .. Haven't tried any others yet, but curious to see if other members here have, and the degree of success they've had with them ( and which ones ? )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.