Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a stunning '05 GS in Nettuno Blue with low miles and I have no idea how I am going to sleep until I pick it up in two weeks! The car is in showroom condition and is a dream come true. I have been reading this board almost every day for the past six months and what I learned is invaluable. Thank you to everyone for posting such detailed information. It made the purchasing process and decision much easier.

As soon as I am done getting to know my car I am contacting Jeff for the Drive By Wire mod. I also want the springs but the dealership that sold me the car strongly advised against lowering it at all citing that the cat converter is low and very expensive to replace if it gets damaged. I will be driving in the NY area and am curious if anyone had any such problems after lowering a GS. Even a 1/2 inch really makes the the GS look that much better.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
160 Posts
dont lower the car if you live in NYC

Dealer is right cats can damage easily on city streets, speed bumps and grade changes. I am about to install Jeff's springs where do you live in NY.

·
Registered
206 Posts
JPT - Congrats on your new car! Was it the one at Miller Motors? If it was, it's a gorgeous looking car! Cars in Nettuno blue seem to be snatched up fairly quickly...I've been tracking these cars lately myself.

By NY area....if you mean Manhattan....I'd worry about those 19" wheels much more than damaging those cats by lowering the car merely 1/2 inch. Just my $0.02 worth. :)

Happy Motoring!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club.

I've been here about 6 months and I'm pleased with how much I've learned from here.

Post pics when you get it.

Gene

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
JPT - congrats on the new GS. You're gonna love this car. I have the FD Springs and DBW installed and they completely change the character of the car. You do have to be very careful going over speed bumps - especially those PVC plastic ones....they seem to be higher than your typical asphalt variety.

Welcome to ML.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it was the car at Miller, it is flawless. After the test drive I really had no choice but to buy it. I can't get that test drive out of my head. The Nettuno with the beige full leather looks amazing.

I do live in Manhattan but will use the car mostly in LI. I am a bit nervous about the 19" wheels but I guess that comes with the territory. . .

I can live without lowering - I think. I'll post some pics after this post.

Forza Italia!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
JPT, Great looking car. I really do love the color!

Regarding the lowering. It's fairly safe to lower the car 1" without causing a problem. The truth is you just have to be somewhat aware of it. Some of our customers lower as much as 2" on the GS without any damage and in contrast some customers manage to dent their catalytic converters with the stock ride height.

In any case our springs can work at the stock ride height as well if you do not want to actually lower the car.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. We will certainly be speaking soon. I assume there is no way to protect the cat converter?

regards,

JP

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, it was the car at Miller, it is flawless.
I had been eyeing that one for a while. A relative of mine in Easton, CT took a look at it and told me it was probably the cleanest GS he's ever seen. Congratulations, you're going to absolutely love it!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Congrats!! I was working on buying that car as well. I had a great deal worked out on it too!
I was still working out the final details, and he e-mailed me and said it sold.

Only thing that held me up from going through with it were the warranty not lasting as long as I wanted, and the fact it had no Xenon lights.

Other than that, it would be in my garage right about now.

The search continues..... :)

Again, congrats and enjoy in good health.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
JP, A shield could be made to help protect it, there is nothing on the market now that I'm aware of.

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. We will certainly be speaking soon. I assume there is no way to protect the cat converter?

regards,

JP

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you lower your car at all, watch out for those concrete tire bump blocks in parking lots. My stock GS usually clears them by about half an inch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and warm welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know you and my new ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked the car up today and had so much fun. I can't wait until the morning for some more! What a car, what an experience.

Now I understand what all of you have been talking about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I live in the Manhattan area

and I would really be hesitant to lower my coupe due mainly to potholes, not speed bumps. Every once in a while I hit a crater and my stomach flops. You know what the roads are like around here. Just my two-cents, but I'd invest in some other FD upgrades instead of lowering. Your car is absolutely gorgeous as-is. Congrats. She's a beaut.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you and thanks for the advice.

Have you had any problems with your wheels? I hit some bumps today and got the same feeling in my stomach.

I had a great conversation with Jeff and am definitely doing the DBW ASAP. I'm wondering if I should invest in some stronger rims and sell the 19" stock ones before they get damaged. I just really like the way the stock ones look.

I got on the LIE and kept driving until I hit the Hamptons, I just did not want to stop. Round two tomorrow. These cars are soulful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts