Maserati Forum banner

new owner (continued)

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  caleb348 
#1 · (Edited)
Thats very clean! are those the original wheels? I dont have the originals and i dont know what they look like, do you know the lug pattern for them?
Mine is in A LOT rougher shape, considering i bought it for $700.
I actually am taking out the entire interior and preserving it and going over it then ill be selling it. My goal for mine is to make it into a stage 80's rally car.
The picture is not mine but more of a goal.
I had no idea they made the BITurbo in a 4 door.
Is yours a 5 speed manual?
Do you happen to know anything about the differential? If its an LSD or open? Or the gearing maybe?
View attachment 128358
So the 4 door version in 87 & 88 were called 425's then they were called 430's. Mine is a 5 speed with the limited slip diff. Dont know the gearing. The bolt pattern is 4x98 like a fiat. The wheels I have are 17" 1552 tarmacs that are off a bmw with a 4x100 bolt pattern. white is not my first choice but they were a good deal and haven't painted them yet. I have 4x98 to 4x100 adaptors.

#2 ·
That alone is alot of really good info, I really appreciate it. I guess i will have to get either some old light weight fiat or Maserati MAG rims or convert to 4x100 too since there many many more possibilities for them then. Im curious how much more boost i can run on this engine. Im not sure if it has forged internals and i should probably do a full rebuild on it first to check the rod bearings and replace them so that it at least has a little bit more of a chance.
I want to keep the car as Italian and vintage racing as possible but there doesnt seem to be any DUI performance to them so far that i can find.

#5 ·
Hi, 25+ years ago I had a 1985 E. It was a very interesting car to own and drive. What it lacked in power it made up for with truly evil handling. Try maintaining an Italian exotic with the build quality of a Yugo, pre-internet. No forums, no you tube, no way to find parts. I'll try to remember all the stuff that can be done to make the car a bit more fun.
#1. Go to bigger wheels, the stock 13" are a joke and contribute to the uncertain handling. 15" BMW can be remachined to fit.
#2. The steering rack has rubber bushings that hold it laterally, they get wet with oil, and slip. The rack will move back and forth with vague steering the result.
#3. The easiest mod for power is an intercooler.
#4. With Magnetti Marelli electrics, never ever get or give a jump start. It will fry the ignition module.
#5. Believe it or not, the Ig. mod for a V6 Buick fits, and is much better than an MM one.
#6. They rust like crazy.
#7. The timing belt comes off regularly and frequently. It is an interference engine.
#8. The ZF gearbox has weak 2nd gear synchros.
#9. The diff is made by Ranger, and is an LSD.
#10. MIE was where I got most of my parts.
#11. There is a knock sensor between the banks that dumps boost when it thinks the engine has detonation. Cold thermostat, cold plugs, intercooler, premium gas will help you get max boost. Off boost it is a 2.5L low compression V6. When the turbos spool up, they hit like a hammer, and the short wheelbase makes these cars a wild ride.
If I can help more let me know.

#6 ·
Hi, 25+ years ago I had a 1985 E. It was a very interesting car to own and drive. What it lacked in power it made up for with truly evil handling. Try maintaining an Italian exotic with the build quality of a Yugo, pre-internet. No forums, no you tube, no way to find parts. I'll try to remember all the stuff that can be done to make the car a bit more fun.
#1. Go to bigger wheels, the stock 13" are a joke and contribute to the uncertain handling. 15" BMW can be remachined to fit.
#2. The steering rack has rubber bushings that hold it laterally, they get wet with oil, and slip. The rack will move back and forth with vague steering the result.
#3. The easiest mod for power is an intercooler.
#4. With Magnetti Marelli electrics, never ever get or give a jump start. It will fry the ignition module.
#5. Believe it or not, the Ig. mod for a V6 Buick fits, and is much better than an MM one.
#6. They rust like crazy.
#7. The timing belt comes off regularly and frequently. It is an interference engine.
#8. The ZF gearbox has weak 2nd gear synchros.
#9. The diff is made by Ranger, and is an LSD.
#10. MIE was where I got most of my parts.
#11. There is a knock sensor between the banks that dumps boost when it thinks the engine has detonation. Cold thermostat, cold plugs, intercooler, premium gas will help you get max boost. Off boost it is a 2.5L low compression V6. When the turbos spool up, they hit like a hammer, and the short wheelbase makes these cars a wild ride.
If I can help more let me know.
Oh my god most of this information has actually saved me weeks of trouble shooting!! I jumped it before and now it has no spark and i suspected it was either the coil of ig modual. I appreciate this so much. I cant believe all that info is so helpful! I really appreciate it it! My numner is 8145258223 if you want to talk more about it! I will definitely have more questions!!!

#7 ·
Glad I could be helpful. I found out about the jumpstart when I bought the car, as the dealer had done that and fried the module. I don't recall the part # for a Buick module, a Maserati one cost $500+ in 1990. On a whim I bought one for a mid 80's V6 Buick/Pontiac and it fit in the distributor, the pigtail had to be cut and spiced, but it worked, and I could jump the car if needed. The valve clearance is difficult to set on these as one cam lobe actuates both intake valves via the cam bucket. Puck shims on the valve stem tops set the lash, any extra lash makes them rattle, and the knock sensor will cut boost. Too little lash will burn valves. Trial and lots of error as I rebuilt the heads multiple times from thrown timing belts made me learn how to do it. But get it right and the little engine is a screamer, it would run away from an F308. Parts of these cars are so well engineered that it brings a tear to your eye. Parts of this car are so stupid they make you cry. You will cry a lot with this car, but the balls factor for driving one is high. I have often thought that the last running Biturbo may well be the most valuable Maserati ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.