Maserati Forum banner

New Motor

5K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Troesma 
#1 ·
I just got the word from the Maserati dealer that my old motor's out and the new one's ready to put in. I'm going over after work to take some pics of everything, which I will append to this thread tonight.

#5 ·
did your motor fail and MNA is replacing it?
Well kind of. The motor developed a VERY loud lifter noise. It was fine when cold (oil is thick) and fine over 1000 RPM. But at temp idle was noisy. They attempted to replace an oil pump, which did nothing. They flew-in the MNA rep and after numerous tests decided to replace the motor. I have 3 months of warranty left and get free labor on a new clutch. Total cost of clutch and a new motor: $1400 ;)

#4 · (Edited)
Well that was cool! First 3 are old engine, next 2 are new engine in crate, the little ding in my radiator and a GORGEOUS 74 Ferrari Daytona!!!!

Attachments

#6 ·
Maybe they'll give you the old engine and you can make a coffee table out of it! :D

Great pictures. Love to see the engine photo's out of the car. Thanks for sharing!

#17 ·
I got a new motor too

I had a lifter failure and the engine had a catastrophic failure of the engine. It took 3 months for MNA to figure this out. I had 30 days left on the warranty with 44,00 miles on the car. The install was sloppy I had a coolant leak because of a loose clamp and an oil because of an oil switch failure. New engine is better tan the old and I have only 6000 miles on it. Hope to get another 45,500 miles. I am now servicing at an independent for half the money in NJ

#18 ·
I had a lifter failure and the engine had a catastrophic failure of the engine. It took 3 months for MNA to figure this out. I had 30 days left on the warranty with 44,00 miles on the car. The install was sloppy I had a coolant leak because of a loose clamp and an oil because of an oil switch failure. New engine is better tan the old and I have only 6000 miles on it. Hope to get another 45,500 miles. I am now servicing at an independent for half the money in NJ
So JB, tell me more. How is the new motor better? Just tighter or more power, etc. These are remanufactured engines and I think they're boared out slightly (VERY slightly). 45,500 shouldn't be a lot of miles on these cars but inpressive in 4 years! Mine had right at 18K on the clock. Also, did the dealer fix all your sloppy install issues?

Buzz

#19 ·
A GREAT email

Buzz,

I will have your car detailed and ready for Tuesday afternoon. The
only amount due would be for the clutch kit and the four wheel
alignment, which totals $1656.15. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Larry Neighbors

972-447-5221

Understand I have a new motor, clutch AND alingnment ;) I LOVE MASERATI

#20 ·
Congrats Buzz...FWIW, I dumped about 4.5K on a clutch replacement last year. I'd say you did real good. :D

#23 ·
Got my car back! Runs great. Threw a CEL this morning on the way to work; I'll check that out tonight but probably not unheard of with a new engine.

According to the service advisor, motor, labor and parts are roughly $30,000.

Not a bad deal ;)

#26 ·
Buzz - I'm curious to know how to tell when/if the pre-cats break up. Also, what causes this to happen? I'm occasionally getting an egg/sulphur smell in my cabin and I'm getting worried I have a problem with the cats. This usually happens under hard acceleration.

#27 ·
That was the exact symptom I had. Then the loss of power as the crap plugged the crimp in the exhaust. However, unless the CEL comes on, it's OK. When they go, the 2nd 02 sensor will detect it.

#28 ·
Hey Buzz

Congrats dude, glad you got it sorted now. Back in the forum fray after a loooongish siesta :D (snowed-under work, really) but with the summer now approaching it's more than adequate to start putting my beloved GS back into the road ;)

Looked at the pics and... was it a brand-new engine what you got..? Seemed not from the pics you posted.

I was NUTS on the GS doing a bit too loud ticking noise at idle (louder than my former 4200) but that went out after warming. Sent it to the dealer and they did all sorts of tests (including compression tests, the lot) and said everything normal. We'll see.

Ed

#30 ·
Hey Ed! Good to "see" you! The motor is a factory crate motor, which is a fully re-manufactured motor. Acid washed block and all new pistons, rods, bearings, rings, etc. The motors are fully built, attached to dyno's and broken in in the factory by a computer. That's why you see oil on the bottom of the crate and a couple of hand prints. Guaranteed by the dealer it's equivalent to new.

Tapping when cold is totally normal. Mine clacked like crazy once warm.

Welcome back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.