Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the word from the Maserati dealer that my old motor's out and the new one's ready to put in. I'm going over after work to take some pics of everything, which I will append to this thread tonight.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well that was cool! First 3 are old engine, next 2 are new engine in crate, the little ding in my radiator and a GORGEOUS 74 Ferrari Daytona!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did your motor fail and MNA is replacing it?
Well kind of. The motor developed a VERY loud lifter noise. It was fine when cold (oil is thick) and fine over 1000 RPM. But at temp idle was noisy. They attempted to replace an oil pump, which did nothing. They flew-in the MNA rep and after numerous tests decided to replace the motor. I have 3 months of warranty left and get free labor on a new clutch. Total cost of clutch and a new motor: $1400 ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Maybe they'll give you the old engine and you can make a coffee table out of it! :D

Great pictures. Love to see the engine photo's out of the car. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe they'll give you the old engine and you can make a coffee table out of it! :D

Great pictures. Love to see the engine photo's out of the car. Thanks for sharing!
Hey Mike... I as thinking the EXACT same thing .. An F430 block coffee table

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Sure as hell beats the Sun Micro V880 server that I have as my office end table.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure as hell beats the Sun Micro V880 server that I have as my office end table.
LOL! Sun Microsystems V880... I know what that is.. LOL *That's a HUGE bitch!!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
LOL! Sun Microsystems V880... I know what that is.. LOL *That's a HUGE bitch!!!
That's right Buzz....she's a huge bitch. I removed the disks and converted the front door to open to a liqueur cabinet! I forgot you were a systems guy. Me too. Bet it's awesome to watch your baby get a heart transplant!

·
Registered
2004 Honda Inspire :-)
307 Posts
Wow.... for once the customers wins!! Congrats! Any idea what the motor cost is if it were out of pocket from the dealer?
i think thats for the clutch :cool: nice looking new motor

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well kind of. The motor developed a VERY loud lifter noise. It was fine when cold (oil is thick) and fine over 1000 RPM. But at temp idle was noisy. They attempted to replace an oil pump, which did nothing. They flew-in the MNA rep and after numerous tests decided to replace the motor. I have 3 months of warranty left and get free labor on a new clutch. Total cost of clutch and a new motor: $1400 ;)
Tell me more about the symptoms.

Did yours make the noise all the time at warm idle? Or only after a period of time?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I remember a few years back when a guy with a "spare" Lamborghini Miura engine made a coffee table out of it. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell me more about the symptoms.

Did yours make the noise all the time at warm idle? Or only after a period of time?
Glenn, once the engine was at normal operating temp (gauge half way) it was constant when under 1000 RPM. Best way to describe it is a loud "tapping" sound. Not ticking like all these engines do (especially when cold). Sounded sort of like a diesel truck engine. It was also loud enough that people noticed it and commented on it.

The best guess is that one of my lifters was getting starved of oil at the idle oil pressure. Once RPM goes over 1000 oil pressure to the lifter was sufficient to quiet it. Also oil pressure is higher when the engine is cold and it's quiet until the temp thins the oil out.

Buzz

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got a new motor too

I had a lifter failure and the engine had a catastrophic failure of the engine. It took 3 months for MNA to figure this out. I had 30 days left on the warranty with 44,00 miles on the car. The install was sloppy I had a coolant leak because of a loose clamp and an oil because of an oil switch failure. New engine is better tan the old and I have only 6000 miles on it. Hope to get another 45,500 miles. I am now servicing at an independent for half the money in NJ

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a lifter failure and the engine had a catastrophic failure of the engine. It took 3 months for MNA to figure this out. I had 30 days left on the warranty with 44,00 miles on the car. The install was sloppy I had a coolant leak because of a loose clamp and an oil because of an oil switch failure. New engine is better tan the old and I have only 6000 miles on it. Hope to get another 45,500 miles. I am now servicing at an independent for half the money in NJ
So JB, tell me more. How is the new motor better? Just tighter or more power, etc. These are remanufactured engines and I think they're boared out slightly (VERY slightly). 45,500 shouldn't be a lot of miles on these cars but inpressive in 4 years! Mine had right at 18K on the clock. Also, did the dealer fix all your sloppy install issues?

Buzz

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A GREAT email

Buzz,

I will have your car detailed and ready for Tuesday afternoon. The
only amount due would be for the clutch kit and the four wheel
alignment, which totals $1656.15. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Larry Neighbors

972-447-5221

Understand I have a new motor, clutch AND alingnment ;) I LOVE MASERATI

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Congrats Buzz...FWIW, I dumped about 4.5K on a clutch replacement last year. I'd say you did real good. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.