Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 87 biturbo. I don't really know much about these cars, but mine runs. I haven't driven it yet since it had a failed master cylinder and bad tires. I've replaced the master cylinder and yesterday I mounted new tires on the rims, hopefully today I can take it for a drive. Here's some pictures:

And finally, in my garage with my Mercedes.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I get this thing on the road.
One immediate question I have is about the keys. I have ignition keys, but they don't fit in the door. Do I have to get a different key for the door? I guess I'll just have to get a blank, take the lock cylinder out, and cut the key myself...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I get this thing on the road.
One immediate question I have is about the keys. I have ignition keys, but they don't fit in the door. Do I have to get a different key for the door? I guess I'll just have to get a blank, take the lock cylinder out, and cut the key myself...
Welcome. I also have a 87 425i. Mine also did not come with a door key. Should be like the one in the attachment. Looks like someone added some custom stuff to your car. I would take the quattroporte emblem off the back because its not a quattroporte. There is a 87 quattroporte but it is different than the 425 which is basically a 4 door biturbo.

Not alot of traffic here but there is a old yahoo group that has a ton of info. Its called biturbo zentrum.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll have to make a new yahoo account, it's probably been 10+ years since I last used yahoo.
Yea, there's some stuff that needs to go. The scoops and the chrome things stuck to the fenders are bad. I also cut off the rusted out cherry bomb, I'll weld on a more reasonable muffler.
I didn't think the quattroporte emblem looked right, it doesn't quite match. I want to get the rest the car sorted out before I deal with paint work, but then all the stuff goes. It does run and drive pretty well after I replaced the slave cylinder, it just has a lot of dry rotted hoses under the hood.

Thanks for the info on the key, I'll have to try and get some blanks, then remove one of the door cylinders to cut the new key for it. Or will a masarati dealer make me one by the VIN?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the info on the key, I'll have to try and get some blanks, then remove one of the door cylinders to cut the new key for it. Or will a masarati dealer make me one by the VIN?
I really doubt the dealer can help, but its a great reason to go to the local Ferrari/Maserati dealer and check out all the candy.

The fuse box is a big problem with these cars. They get "dry or cold joints" which causes things to radomly not work. If you can work a soldering iron you can fix it by resolding the joints.

The marelli-weber fuel injection eliminated the carb in the plenum issues but its pretty unique... it uses air density, no mas or afm, and no oxygen sensors. If it doesn't work its very difficult to diagnose because you need the special dealer reader tool and it wont flash codes with a blinking light like other older systems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere else that the fusebox can be issue-prone. I guess I should take that apart and fix it before it has a chance to be a problem.

I was looking for a computer check engine light/equivalent, read through the service manual, and saw no reference to one, so thanks for the confirmation. I did see that there is a special tool needed to check the codes, that's a bummer. I was also unable to find any oxygen/lambda sensors. The fuel injection system reminds me of how some aviation fuel injection systems work, although those generally have exhaust gas temperature sensors, very unusual system here.

I wonder if there has been any effort to reverse engineer the protocol used to run the diagnostic computer? It would be interesting to see if any effort has been made there, or if there's at least documentation somewhere of the commands sent between the computer and the diag tool. I'm guessing the factory tool is rare as hen's teeth and difficult to get ahold of, I'd kinda like to play with one, though. If I could put a sniffer between the tool and the computer in the car, possibly I could make an open source version. Maybe I'll channel some efforts in that direction when I'm done with other projects. I'm currently working on making a digital cruise control module for my 84 mercedes to replace the issue-prone analogue unit.

Are there any other common problems that I should go work on right off? I already changed the engine oil and have transmission oil and differential oil on my todo list. I should replace the plug wires and probably the plugs as a matter of course and, if there's a source for them, the cap and rotor(s?). The only other engine I've worked on with two coils going into the distributor is an RX7, but that's a bit different

·
Registered
155 Posts
All the remaining factory parts in the US were purchased by a couple different companies. These are the new parts you see on ebay. Some parts are Ferrari priced like the cap and rotor about $300. (The Ferrari F40 used the weber-marelli injection) On the other hand you will see the same used part for sale on ebay for months or years with no buyers... so the demand is very low. If you see "make an offer" make it a low offer.
Also check eurospares. They have some parts too.

There is a guy who made a diagnosis tool.
http://www.maseratitude.com/public_html/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6191

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$300 for a cap and rotor... WOW. Fortunately mine seems to run well... It will be a few weeks until I can take a day off to get tags for the car, but I do have an abandoned road on my property I can drive up and down.

That's a cool product, sadly he doesn't really give much info about how it works. I understand he wants to make money off it and respect that, I just want to know how it works. If I finish up my other vintage car electronics projects (I have another car with a tube radio that's been on the bench for a while...) and tackle this I'll just put the info out freely, I don't like proprietary work. Everything at my dayjob is under patents and NDAs so I tend to release my personal work to the public.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very Nice! I have an 87 Spyder and am also fairly new to these cars, so look forward to more "learnings" as you progress. Tuning mine up this week-end so may have a few surprises ahead of me, but happy to share. Mine has been surprisingly dependable, starting first turn of the key and the FI/5 speed is a blast on back roads here in FL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts