Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member to this Forum. I am a longtime Alfa owner (dozens purchased, flipped, kept, etc) currently loving our new 2018Ti Q4 Lusso, 86 Spider, 74 GTV, and also a semi-retired auto tech. I'm looking at a 30k mile 2006 Quattroporte Sport GT. It would be used as a weekend cruiser, long day trips, etc. all done in adult fashion. High speeds, but not Ricky Racer. What deficiencies should I look for? This was a trade-in at the Dealership that the Maser tech purchased, serviced, and is trying to flip to finance his next project. Nice, honest guy, I doubt he is trying to hide anything. He said that I can have the car for the weekend. All honest input, links to past threads, etc. is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
New member to this Forum. I am a longtime Alfa owner (dozens purchased, flipped, kept, etc) currently loving our new 2018Ti Q4 Lusso, 86 Spider, 74 GTV, and also a semi-retired auto tech. I'm looking at a 30k mile 2006 Quattroporte Sport GT. It would be used as a weekend cruiser, long day trips, etc. all done in adult fashion. High speeds, but not Ricky Racer. What deficiencies should I look for? This was a trade-in at the Dealership that the Maser tech purchased, serviced, and is trying to flip to finance his next project. Nice, honest guy, I doubt he is trying to hide anything. He said that I can have the car for the weekend. All honest input, links to past threads, etc. is appreciated. Thanks.
2014 GT guy here so I can't speak specifically on the QP but my GT is 'rock solid!' If I were you, I would plan a long weekend get away and take him up on his offer. How often does one get to do that??? :unsure:
That move alone, will probably go light years In determining if you guys love or just like the car!
Good luck bro...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@timado404 . thanks for the reply. Picking her up for the weekend tomorrow. As a wrench, I'm not worried about the little things. It's the gearbox and clutch, the variators, and the interior controls that worry me. Anything else?? Hopefully the low miles will work in my favor. Does this model suffer from the sticky interior switch gear problem?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Before I bought my Granturismo last October, after the evening test drive, the sales guy told me to come back the next day and take the car for the day so I can get a better feel for it without the distraction of him being there. I appreciated that. It led me to buy the car, so it was a smart idea on his part.

·
Super Moderator
3,367 Posts
The clutch comes in at the top of the list.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have not owned one, but my main concern would be the Duoselect transmission and possible camshaft variator issues.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
@timado404 . thanks for the reply. Picking her up for the weekend tomorrow. As a wrench, I'm not worried about the little things. It's the gearbox and clutch, the variators, and the interior controls that worry me. Anything else?? Hopefully the low miles will work in my favor. Does this model suffer from the sticky interior switch gear problem?
You're most welcome.
Should be a fun weekend for you guys, put that QP on the road, get a good feel for it.
Good that you're a wrench, that helps with any car especially ones that are a little more costly to maintain. Being mechanically inclined saves you money over the long haul anyway as you can generally stay more on top of things before they become BIG problems. Sticky interior parts seem to be pretty random from what I gather. Some guys have it bad and others, not so much. At any rate, there are several different solutions which you can easily find on this site with a quick search. From cheaper stick on labels to the more expensive professionally etched parts...like all things, just depends on how much coin you're willing to part with. :p
Some good advice though, if you do purchase a Masi... DRIVE IT! Put some mileage on that 'bad boy' don't save it for the next guy. Cars just do better, doing what they're built for!!! Even If it's just a weekend car, take it on weekend road trips. Enjoy the fruits of one's labor :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I'm picking her up tomorrow morning for the weekend. @lcdave , the seller says that the clutch has a remaining %70 indicated on the scan. Sweet. @stingray71, I read ErikDiS bit on the variators and, coupled with the info from the seller (friendly Maser dealer tech) I think I'm ok. @timado404, I plan on a thorough test drive, and, as all my fleet, a persistent flogging.

·
Super Moderator
3,367 Posts
Unless you actually know when the clutch was replaced, that 70% means very little. If it hasn't been replaced, that's an unlikely number. Anyway, those percentages aren't exactly acurate. My M138 clutch was done at an indicated 50%.

I'm not trying to discourage you though, I just think it's a good idea to add the price of the clutch replacement to any F1 car unless you know exactly when the clutch was replaced and how it's been driven since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts