Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am planning on buying a secondhand Maserati Coupe (from Minneapolis Maserati) in the near future. I have a BMW M3 (well two of them actually) and was wondering if there are any e46 M3 owners here who moved to Maserati. If so i would be very interested in driving/ownership experiences.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Owning M3: People say "Gee that's a nice car"

Owning Maser: People say "Wow, is that really a Maserati?".

·
Registered
74 Posts
I actually owned an 02 M5, but drove an M3 mulitple times. M cars.....great shifts, great handling....near perfect execution on every level. For you, and 30,000 other people out there.

Had an 02 Maserati coupe (since sold) and an 05 Gransport on the way. Maserati.....ok shifts, decent handling, "interesting" execution on multiple levels. But still, by far the more enjoyable car. Will never cease to put a smile on your face.

Figure out what transmission you want first. Then pick your color. The 04's provide good bang for the buck, and most likely about two years worth of warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have both cars now. The M3 is my daily and the Maser is the fun car.

The cars are similar in performance except, the BMW brakes work better, the shifting is faster in the M3, but much rougher, the BMW outhandles the Maser stock. My MaserGS has sport springs and now it handles better than the M3. I find myself not caring much when the BMW gets scratched but I'd have a big problem with the Maser taking a hit. Also nobody notices you in the M3 but many people notice the Maser. This is both good and bad. In the end if you're looking for better performance, keep the M3. The maserati is simply a unique experience and I purchased it because I wanted that. The BMW just doesn't excite me anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the views

I have decided on an F1 transmission. I have a 6 speed in teh M3. I probably am not expecting a better handler (for handling/track work my e36 M3 does that job). I really had the option of putting money into the 03 m3 to get it to handle better or just go out and buy something exclusive, a real GT so to speak. The Maserati seems to fit the bill. I love the interior. I remember the F1 shifter was easy to get used to when I did test drive one ages ago.

And it seems the cars can be modded to handle better if I choose.

My town is full of Mercs/Porsches/and recently BMW's. I probably would be the only one in my town with a Maserati (both good and bad I suppose), but I really like the car, and it seems it maybe exactly what I need.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Prior to my purchase of an '02 Coupe, I had three consecutive M3's; two E36's and one E46. I agree with most of what has been previously posted. The M3 is more cohesive and complete in its purpose than the Maserati. You get the impression Ferrari really wasn't sure what they wanted to do with Maserati; a Jaguar in Italian clothing or a junior Ferrari?

What was born out of that tentativeness is a hodge podge of sorts. One of the world's greatest engines, to be sure. In this department, the Maserati has it over the M3. What the M3 makes in total horsepower (333) the Maserati makes in torque. The Maserati curiously is very aggresively damped, much more so than the M3. Thus, a cobble-stoned road is felt much more in the steering and cockpit of the Maserati. Thus, I prefer the feedback provided by the Maserati. I say, "curiously," because the Maserati is relatively softly sprung, much more so than the M3. Thus, the M3 exhibits much less body roll in cornering, which among other things makes it the better handling car. The M3 is better at putting its power down effectively as well.

As you move from the more objective comparisons to more ethereal, the vote overwhelmingly swings in the Maserati's favor. First, the car is put together by people, for better and for worse. It's old fashioned in a good way, much the way a fine Swiss watch is, or tooled Florentine leather. No two cars are exactly the same. This makes the car less of an appliance and more a work of art. Flowery prose, yes, but true! There is very little plastic in the interior. Everything is stitched together, like cars used to be. Does this make for a more squeak prone interior. Yes, and a $50,000.00 Patek Phillipe makes little ticking noises.

For me, a frequent traveler to Europe (especially Italy) and a lover of anything finely crafted, the Maserati is much more fun to get into and drive everyday than my M3 ever was. I've previously posted that it is not for everybody; if you're not passionate about the car, the shortcomings may get the best of you. But if you consider yourself an enthusiast; if you roll down the windows when anything Italian is about to drive by just to hear the tenor of the exhaust, you're among the initiated. By the Maserati.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frankie P: Very helpful post

I do consider myself an enthusiast. The character of my car is very important to me.

I recently drove a 997 Porsche and was very much un-moved by its rather sterile quality (as opposed to a 996 TT which is the opposite of what I have read in magazines and on internet forums)

OTOH I do find myself keeping a particular car race on my DVR just because I want to listen to a specific car (a GT3 in this case) leave the pits.

So based on your post it seems more and more the Maserati is for me.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My E39 is smooth, quick, quiet, comfortable and BORING!!!!! My '98 Viper is squirlly and premitive (no ABS, traction, etc). The Maserati is the perfect alternative. Top speed: 177, 0-60: 4.8s, 1/4 mile: 13.1. Add TUBI or straight pipes from the cats back and those numbers get better (someone posted 12.7 1/4 mile with just exhaust mods). The high RPM V8 makes straight pipes VERY sweet (if you like listening to F1's) :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great Post Frankie P

Your description of the Maserati appeal is perfect & insightful.

I am looking forward to being at my home in Naples next week, just wish my Spyder was down there instead of hibernating for the winter in Indiana.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I owned an M3 now a Maserati

Interesting dilemma you have. I was in a similar position about 6 months ago and sold my 2002 M3 to a friend and purchased a very low mile (7k) 2004 CC. I drove both cars back to back for about 2 weeks and agree with all of the other reviews here. The M3 is quiet, purposeful, and a great daily driver. Too bad I live in LA and see about 20 a day! The Maserati on the other hand is exclusive, a tad rough on unsmooth payment, but puts a smile on your face an M3 simply cannot.

Without a doubt the M3 handles and brakes better, and is much more isolated on rough pavement (you can feel a misplaced pebble in the maser), but it cannot compare to the Sunday morning drive in the Maserati. You notice I said "Sunday." Originally I purchased the maser to be a daily driver but after doing that for about a month I realized she should be treated like the supermodel she is. I only got one minor door ding in 4 years of ownership of my M3, and I wasn't too upset. If that happened in my maser I would be pissed and go after the culprit with a bat! :D I ended up purchasing an Acura as a daily driver since I don't really give a sh#$ about it.

You can certainly use the maser as a daily driver, but I'm willing to bet you'll want to treat her a little better and leave the mundane commuting to something less special.

·
Registered
824 Posts
gmansantamonica said:
You can certainly use the maser as a daily driver, but I'm willing to bet you'll want to treat her a little better and leave the mundane commuting to something less special.
I drive mine daily. It puts a smile on my face and the best feeling leaving the office after a stressful day is to open the window and listen to the engine as I drive away.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow. Same spot!

this is where I am now. I currently own a 2002 bmw m3 convertible. I love it. I cannot think of a better car then what I have. It handles well fun to drive and I drive it around town. It is starting to feel dated to me as 335i coupes look damn good and esp they are just as quick. I am looking at Sypder and I am not sure what I should do, get a 2003 low miles and a manual transimission. I would like to get $35k for my m3.Or wait till the new 2008 M3 comes out.

I am just worried total cost of ownership with the Maserati.

1. tires/brakes
2. transmission (I will get a 6 speed and I hope the with the regular manual gear box the manual transmission will last a long time)
3. check ups inspections (BMW M3 has to have inspections etc and I assume this does as well)

To the orginal owner, did you get the maserati?

Can someone drive 10-12k miles a year with a maserati and really have no problems? If something is this fun to drive, I would be driving it every day :cool: :D

There are enough Maseratis for sale where I could get a good deal on one, but not sure if it will cost me quite a bit to own one. Is it that much more then the m3 to own? Michelin tires are for both cars about the same, miles per gallon doesnt bother me, I am just worried about repairs, up keep.....I know this is an expensive auto I just hope it isnt that much to own vs an M3? Could it be just as cheap to own as an m3?

thanks in Advance!

Alex~ first post!

·
Registered
528 Posts
While not a M, I did trade my 2006 325 in on a Coupe.
I went for the 6mt, as I don't want to be worried about CC reliability problems and/or clutch life..
(And I enjoy driving a M/T)
If the clutch wears out before 100k miles, I will be pissed off.

After fixing what ever issues show up with a new car, I only expect to see the dealer one a year for the annual service.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fred said:
While not a M, I did trade my 2006 325 in on a Coupe.
I went for the 6mt, as I don't want to be worried about CC reliability problems and/or clutch life..
(And I enjoy driving a M/T)
If the clutch wears out before 100k miles, I will be pissed off.

After fixing what ever issues show up with a new car, I only expect to see the dealer one a year for the annual service.

congrads on your car!

That is what I was thinking, If a 6MT goes within 100k miles I would be mad too. LOL As for upkeep it seems about the M as their are serious service inspections etc and oil changes are 100-$200 per time.

thanks again Fred

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you're worried about cost of ownership buy an Accord.

If you want a car that will get your blood flowing and put a smile on your face get the Maser.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Steeldream said:
If you're worried about cost of ownership buy an Accord.

If you want a car that will get your blood flowing and put a smile on your face get the Maser.
I understand, but I am in the dark with Maserati automobiles and on the board to learn as much as I can. I am just weighing my options to see if this auto is about the same upkeep as an M car or a Porsche? I just like to know what I am getting into before buying any big ticket item, if to expect what, when to expect, and also the unexpected....

·
Registered
530 Posts
M is likely to be most reliable and cheapest to run. also least involving. Porsche will be more expensive but less than Maser.

I like Porsches, own one myself. They're a different animal from the Maser, more technical, more precise. They involve you in the drive (or you end up in the bushes) but in a different way from the Maser. Also, personal opinion, the 996 is just plain ugly in comparison to earlier models. 997 is better but still not as pretty as a SWB coupe.

If I really want to go out and wring out a car through the twisties I'll take the Porsche over the Maser. My Spyders a much more comfortable GT for long road trips and it's still got the performance when needed.

When you're looking at the maser ask yourself where else you're going to find classic Italian styling with Ferrari performance for $100k.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Alex said:
congrads on your car!

That is what I was thinking, If a 6MT goes within 100k miles I would be mad too. LOL As for upkeep it seems about the M as their are serious service inspections etc and oil changes are 100-$200 per time.

thanks again Fred
You will have to dig deeper for the anual service. You will have to budget about $800 for that one at the dealer. This annual service would be an oil change, transmission fluid change, and chec a bunch of other stuff.
I had it done while I waited at the shop, and it took about 2-3 hours.

I would expect that it would be less at a private shop.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fred said:
You will have to dig deeper for the anual service. You will have to budget about $800 for that one at the dealer. This annual service would be an oil change, transmission fluid change, and chec a bunch of other stuff.
I had it done while I waited at the shop, and it took about 2-3 hours.

I would expect that it would be less at a private shop.

thats not bad at all. I assume their is an inspection along the way at a particular mile point. 18k and 30k? Valves checked etc?

I am starting to feel the Maserati TCO isnt that bad :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts