Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really contemplating getting the new Granturismo S '09.
Initially in a Porsche/Maserati dealership looking at a 997 Turbo.
A black Granturismo S was on the floor. I looked over the car... beautiful.. but not a 911 turbo by any means. So, I told the salesman, let's just concentrate on a 997 turbo. Then, another salesperson showing another customer the car, started up the car in the showroom. Twisted my neck immediately!!! what the hell was that? I thought Ferrari??
All of a sudden, the rest of the conversation and meeting lead into test driving this beast and then trying to order one of these really limited edition S versions (I was told less than 500 into the US this year and this is the only production year for the S version). I am now looking for a dark seal gray color with a Bordeaux interior.

In addition to the wicked exhaust, the drive was monstrous. Tight suspension and very very responsive steering. The curves on this car are as sexy as sexy gets.

But.....
I test drove a non-S 2008 version of this car, exhaust was not even close, suspension was so much more comfortable, automatic transmission was so much smoother shifting (the S version had my head cocking back on shift to second gear). This car was offered to me at 107k.
The S version is stickered at 143k.
Any comments on the S versus the non S?

No doubt the non S version is so much more a daily driver.

I don't know too much about Maserati's but I hear that reliability can is a little shady. Any comments on this?

I currently drive a 997 turbo.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reliability really isn't the issue it was in the past. They really have gotten these cars to where they should be. I was in a new S last week and I have to say the sounds that car makes had me revving it over and over again. We took it to a restaurant and there was a line of people checking it out as we were leaving. When you hit that sport button I think it sounds better than a Ferrari. The turbo is a bullet proof all-wheel drive monster that will never let you down but is it really that special???? Ask the dealer to give you one overnight-I am sure he will since there is no way you will be bringing it back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drove both the GT and GTS.The GT is more of a daily driver than the GTS primarily because of the gearbox,though the GTS has more power and a firmer suspension.Though i know a lot of people like the GTS i feel it falls between a true "sports car" and a GT and therefore does not meet the expectations of either .Now a GTS with a automatic:rolleyes: or a 500 lb lighter car with a stick or a twin clutch....

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
If you plan to use the car as a daily driver get the GT, if you want something for some weekend fun and can afford the price difference, get the S :)

Either way, keep us posted :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I would get the GT-S for DD. That's the car you fell for. If you buy the GT you'll be drooling over every GT-S that you see and wondering "why didn't I get the GT-S!".

Unless traffic where you live is VERY bad, I mean, bumper to bumper all the time.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
+1 on niteroi

don't see the point of the GT-S being a lesser daily driver than the GT. i have DS on my QP and it is less sorted than the MC Shift in the GT-S, and it is a good daily driver.

if your definition of a daily driver includes more fun, there is little trade off in the GT-S.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Funny last summer I did see a new 997 turbo Porsche broken down being flatbedded back to the dealer down the shore. I guess anything can happen in any car.

06 QP SPORT
06 GS SPYDER
06 GS COUPE(SNOWBOUND IN SEATTLE TO PHILLY)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!

Thanks for the responses to my post.
I will definitely request to take the car overnight.
By the way, get this...
I purchased 2 911 turbo's in the past 12 months.
My first was a 997 turbo cab, special ordered and optioned out at 165k.
No special treatment from the dealer, never even met the owner. Just another deal amongst all the less expensive Audi's and less expensive Porsches.
Paid the money, drove the car off the lot, no phone call to see if all was good.
Not a special feeling about the transaction.
Second purchase last week (traded in my cab for a coupe), still the same. No hand shake with the manager, still never a meeting with the owner, and no follow up phone call. Nothing special.

My visit with the Bentley, Maserati, Lambo dealership here in Saint Louis!!
From the moment I walked in the door, a representative greeted me with a hand shake, showed me around their spectacular show room of Bentley's and Lambo's and Maserati's. Then she introduces me to a sharply dressed manager who hands me his card. Then I get follow up phone calls from the manager letting me know that he can get me any Maserati I wanted. Just let him know the info. Then, I get a phone call from one of the owners reassuring me that he will do what it takes to get my business! He invites me to meet with him to discuss the exact car I want.

Ok, imagine this, I am a customer purchasing definitely one of the cheaper cars in his collection (he has at least 8 Lambo's in the show room, many Ferrari's , a ton of Bentley's and even a Bugati!!!). But I still get the white glove treatment!!! We have a sit down to talk about all my options (me, the wife, the Manager, the Agent and the Owner). And this car costs less than both of my Porsches.

It was like the Holiday Inn vs the Ritz Carlton!!!

I was treated so well, that I just wanted to buy something... anything!!!! from these guys. I guess I am at this point after being treated so shitty by Porsche.

You have to understand that buying a Porsche is like begging for the car. My first Carrera S 2006. I called a number of dealers requesting a call back looking for a particular color. At least 8 dealers in my area. Not ONE return call!!!! Not one!!!!

Great Car but what a freakin disappointment. The car sells itself, definitely not the dealerships.

I figure that even if I have a few problems with my new Granturismo, they promised to pick the car up from my home!!!

Damn what great service.... Finally... paying over 100k for a car and getting the service I expect. I am not sure if this is the case with other Maserati dealerships in the country.

I will post pics when I get the car.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I Also Must Add That I Did Have Terrible Experiences With The Porsche And Audi Dealers Not So Much With The Sales, But With The Service And The Costs To Maintain Those Cars,thats Why I Went With The Italians. We Do Have A Great Dealer In Our Area Algar, Beleive Me That Makes A World Of Difference. My Brother Just Picked Up A Bmw 650 Last Year And I Never Even Asked Him For A Test Drive After A Maserati Or Ferrari Everything Else Pales In Comparison.

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder
06 Gs Coupe (incoming)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I Also Must Add That I Did Have Terrible Experiences With The Porsche And Audi Dealers Not So Much With The Sales, But With The Service And The Costs To Maintain Those Cars,thats Why I Went With The Italians. We Do Have A Great Dealer In Our Area Algar, Beleive Me That Makes A World Of Difference. My Brother Just Picked Up A Bmw 650 Last Year And I Never Even Asked Him For A Test Drive After A Maserati Or Ferrari Everything Else Pales In Comparison.

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder
06 Gs Coupe (incoming)
why did you cap every word?

·
Registered
4 Posts
All,

This has been a great forum for me. I signed up a few months ago and have been quietly in the background reading everything I can. I'm in the market for my first sports car. I currently drive a 2008 750i Individual, but am looking for a weekend and sometimes daily driver. A 2+2 is a must with three little girls (10,8,6) in case I have to pick them up. I seriously considered a Ferrari (my first love), but the seat issue ruled them out. Plus, pulling up to school to pick up a kid in a Ferrari is not quite the image I'm trying to project. I seriously thought about a Porsche and it's still on the table, but they are just so common here in Northern Virginia/DC. I ran across the GT while I was wandering by Ferrari of Washington dealership and I fell in love. I really love Italian style, in just about everything they do.

I'm in the process of putting a 4th garage on my house to store the car (away and protected from kids bikes!) and have been taking the time to research the GT while I complete the project in May. I drove both the GT and GT-S. I love the GT-S sound and handling, but I would like my wife to drive the car and she won't do paddles. The GT-S transmission in auto mode is just a bit too rough for her too. She didn't drive it, but I'm pretty sure of it.

I really don't have any questions at this point, I just wanted to introduce myself to the group when I do start posting questions. If there are any dealers out there feel free to drop me a private message. I was thinking about special ordering a GT, but with some great deals going on out there with cars on the lot I'm happy with that. I have a feeling this is going to be the first of many in my future. :)

Happy driving!

Sean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Damn what great service.... Finally... paying over 100k for a car and getting the service I expect. I am not sure if this is the case with other Maserati dealerships in the country.
I've had a very similar experience to yours this past year.

I had been a very loyal customer to my local Mercedes dealer for quite some time but the buying and servicing experiences were "lacking" to put it lightly. 2 Mercedes leases were up for me this year so I decided to visit the Maser dealer and give them a chance, and I was absolutely blown away that relationship based business can still be done well in the car industry.

I was wearing a Slayer t-shirt, jeans, and beat up Reeboks when I first test drove a QP and I was treated like the Pope. When I specifically asked to drive the Sport GTS that was on the show floor they made me an espresso while they prepped the car and pulled it out front for me. The same day I tried to test drive a new XJR at my local Jag dealer and they wouldn't even let me near their demo... too bad for them. I went back to the Maser dealer after they acquired a Bentley franchise and picked up a CGT 3 months later. I'll never buy a car anywhere else.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The power of the brand

You'll get a kick out of this. My wife popped into the local BMW showroom to look at the new X5's and 5-series. They completely ignored her (and trust me, it's not because of her looks ;)). When she finally got a salesman's attention he asked, "What are you driving now?" She replied, "A Maserati."

That got his attention. Within five minutes she not only had a salesman at her beck and call, but the sales manager as well.

And somewhere else in a thread, someone commented that no young boys dream of having a Maserati. I disagree with that. I always dreamt of two cars -- Aston-Martins and Maseratis. I never liked the looks of the Ferraris - they seemed desperate for attention. The Masi's and AM's seemed much more refined and classy, yet beasts at heart.

No apologies for my Coupe CC. I could own a Ferrari if I wanted one. But I absolutely love my Masi.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You'll get a kick out of this. My wife popped into the local BMW showroom to look at the new X5's and 5-series. They completely ignored her (and trust me, it's not because of her looks ;)). When she finally got a salesman's attention he asked, "What are you driving now?" She replied, "A Maserati."

That got his attention. Within five minutes she not only had a salesman at her beck and call, but the sales manager as well.
Gaaaaaawd BMW dealers are terrible.

I took the GF to a BMW dealer over the summer to set her up with a 3 series... at 2 pm... on a Tuesday. We drove there in my QP, walked in and waited in excess of 20 minutes for a least one of the 10 sales people to get off the phone. No one even looked up. We left in a huff and as I look in my rear view mirror I see 3 employees at the door with their hands on their hips ughhh. I hope she doesn't mind her new Mazda lol.:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All,

This has been a great forum for me. I signed up a few months ago and have been quietly in the background reading everything I can. I'm in the market for my first sports car. I currently drive a 2008 750i Individual, but am looking for a weekend and sometimes daily driver. A 2+2 is a must with three little girls (10,8,6) in case I have to pick them up. I seriously considered a Ferrari (my first love), but the seat issue ruled them out. Plus, pulling up to school to pick up a kid in a Ferrari is not quite the image I'm trying to project. I seriously thought about a Porsche and it's still on the table, but they are just so common here in Northern Virginia/DC. I ran across the GT while I was wandering by Ferrari of Washington dealership and I fell in love. I really love Italian style, in just about everything they do.

I'm in the process of putting a 4th garage on my house to store the car (away and protected from kids bikes!) and have been taking the time to research the GT while I complete the project in May. I drove both the GT and GT-S. I love the GT-S sound and handling, but I would like my wife to drive the car and she won't do paddles. The GT-S transmission in auto mode is just a bit too rough for her too. She didn't drive it, but I'm pretty sure of it.

I really don't have any questions at this point, I just wanted to introduce myself to the group when I do start posting questions. If there are any dealers out there feel free to drop me a private message. I was thinking about special ordering a GT, but with some great deals going on out there with cars on the lot I'm happy with that. I have a feeling this is going to be the first of many in my future. :)

Happy driving!

Sean.
Sean,
I was in a similar situation.
I need the rear seats.
I have an 11 year old daughter and a wonderful wife.
I bought a 997 turbo.
OK but not much room in the back. Had to get 6 speed, could not do the tip.
My wife never drives this car (I want her to but she does not like standard)

Maserati? Granturismo S?
So much room in the back.
In non sport mode, it's actually ok (sound).
I have the car for a test drive currently.
My wife loves the car!!!
She was sure she only wanted to drive an automatic.
She can't stop using that paddles!!
It's so easy, and so natural and a lot of fun.
You must have your wife not just simply test drive it a few miles. When my wife did this, she was not so sure.
But having the car for a day, really made the difference. You have to consider that this type of transmission is like no other. If you are not use to it, a few minutes will not do it.
I am now concerned that my wife will hog the car!
Then I will be left with my boring 911.

Call the dealer and ask for a test drive for the day (if possible)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Former 911 GT 3 driver, great car, great lines, horrible dealer NC dealer experiences, not shy about charging, don't know what they did or who you are when the work doesn't stand up - same BMW dealer owner, testing the Masi brand now with an 04 CC Coupe..euphoria in the car, can't believe i own one, dealer has gone beyond the call - porsche adios, bmw adios, masi - thank you! new world, love to drive it, hate to park it! BTW, members on this site, incredibly helpful all the way! thx,SS

·
Registered
96 Posts
Former 911 GT 3 driver, great car, great lines, horrible dealer NC dealer experiences, not shy about charging, don't know what they did or who you are when the work doesn't stand up - same BMW dealer owner, testing the Masi brand now with an 04 CC Coupe..euphoria in the car, can't believe i own one, dealer has gone beyond the call - porsche adios, bmw adios, masi - thank you! new world, love to drive it, hate to park it! BTW, members on this site, incredibly helpful all the way! thx,SS

Thats a pretty drastic change, from a hardcore GT3 to a CoupeCC, which one do you prefer so far?

·
Registered
7 Posts
lol I envy all of you. I am am Officer who makes around 36k/yr, and am working my ass off to save for a hefty down payment lol. I applaud those of you who have busted your ass to get where you are today and to be able to enjoy it....
Random rant, don't expect to see too many of those :p

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
M3ut - hang out here and learn as much as you can about the car and the Marquee. Best of luck. You couldn't have picked a better time to be saving for your Maser....prices are getting attractive to say the least.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts