Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member here. I currently have a Lotus Exige as my weekend/track toy but I'm looking at possibly getting something that is more GT-ish. Basically, I want something sporty and fun but also something that I can take the kids, both kids, out on long drives and take the wife out on the town. The Lotus is a great car and I love it but it does lack a bit on the practicality front :D Perhaps I can keep both :rolleyes:

I'm very attracted to the Maserati GS and I'm just starting to do research. Glad I found this great site.

Quick question, I'm sure the first of many. What are the differences, if any, between the 05 GS and the 06 GS? I'll probably be looking for a pre-owned with low miles but I'm wondering, if I have a choice between an 05 and an 06 with similar miles does it make sense to pay the extra for an 06.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
nice choice of cars.
i think most 05's came with the brightex fabric trims, whereas 06's they began offering leather trims. as well there was that LE package of options with the shields, etc.
and most importantly, one extra year of warranty ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice choice of cars.
i think most 05's came with the brightex fabric trims, whereas 06's they began offering leather trims. as well there was that LE package of options with the shields, etc.
and most importantly, one extra year of warranty ;)
Thanks. I had a LR D90 before the Lotus so I have pretty eclectic taste in motor vehicles :D

The warranty is certainly something to consider but it sounds like the bulk of the car is unchanged between the 05 and 06 model years. It also sounds like their are other "versions" (i.e. option packages) like the Anniversary Edition (is this the LE?) and, I think I saw a "Vintage" version but I can't remember where I saw that.

Another quick question . . . what is coming up for the 2008 and beyond GS models? Are there any rumors about upcoming changes in the GS? I know that Maserati just came out with the GT which appears to be a two-door version of the QP. Will Maserati continue the GS line and if so, what changes might we expect down the road?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
GS version ended in 2006. At least here in the US, and it seems like the GT is the "replacement"...

Regarding the 05/06 differences, I believe in 06 they offered parking sensors and upgraded stereo (Auditorium) as optionals.

You are lucky to have a dealer in Woodland Hills!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would always opt for the newest MY you can find, so long as the price is in line. Warranty is probably the main factor but also consider all the refinements that every manufacturer makes over time.

Based on what I've been told, I do think we will see some sort of sport version of the new GT fairly soon but unless you're wanting to wait a while or spend a lot more money, it will obviously take some time before those get down to the current price point of an '05 or '06 GS.

GL with your search!

·
Registered
660 Posts
GS version ended in 2006. At least here in the US, and it seems like the GT is the "replacement"...

Regarding the 05/06 differences, I believe in 06 they offered parking sensors and upgraded stereo (Auditorium) as optionals.

Nope, GS production ended in MY 07 as far as I know... Re-tooling at factory for the GT involved one production line initially, I think the other was used to finish remaining GS. Let me re-confirm...

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I think i can be of some help!

I have an '06 GS. I have also had an eclectic variety of cars. This may be the best of all. I have had the car exactly 2 years, and have put 10,000 miles on the car. It is going to the shop for only the 2nd time. The 1st time was for it's 12 month service, tomorrow is the 24 month service. I have not had a single problem with the car. Up until the last 2 months I have babied the car. I got a Shelby over the Summer and started taking the GS to the track. It is a wonderful car, and IMHO it is the best bang for the buck anywhere. I think you could get an '06 with low milage for under $80k.

My only complaint is that I do not like the transmission. I would have much preferred a manual transmission. I kept thinking that I would like it once I had it on the track, but I did not. The unfortunate problem is that the GS is only available with the CC transmission. You can get a couple with a 6-speed. My buddy in CT just traded a CC transmission '06 coupe for the 6-speed and he is much happier with the manual.

I drive and Elyse for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. I think it has got to be a great toy for the track. How long have you had it? I would love some feedback.

I am having a blast with the Shelby. I have not had an American muscle car in almost 25 years. It is a great 2nd car to the Maser....They are polar opposites and make driving each of them a unique experience.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
2nd Message

I just wanted to add... rear legroom and comfort is terrific. And I would go for the "06 vs. '05. no difference between the 2 cars, depending on how you have it outfitted.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome and good luck with your search :)
Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Thanks. I didn't know that the last year for the GS was 2006. Does the GT share more with the GS or with the QP? It seems to be somewhere in between in terms of size and takes more of the styling queues from the QP. The GS and the GT seem to be going after different segments so it seems strange that they would drop the GS.

BTW, I plan on dropping by the dealer in Woodland Hills (AutoGallery). From what I've been reading though, the service is a bit on the pricey side.

I think i can be of some help!

My only complaint is that I do not like the transmission. I would have much preferred a manual transmission. I kept thinking that I would like it once I had it on the track, but I did not. The unfortunate problem is that the GS is only available with the CC transmission. You can get a couple with a 6-speed. My buddy in CT just traded a CC transmission '06 coupe for the 6-speed and he is much happier with the manual.
Yes. I am very interested in driving with the paddle shifters. It sounds like it's pretty easy to get used to but it might be a different story on the track.

I drive and Elyse for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. I think it has got to be a great toy for the track. How long have you had it? I would love some feedback.
I love the Exige. It's a fantastic car, a pure expression of a sports car. I've had it for a little more than a year now. The handling is magnificent but it's a bit underpowered. It's very much a momentum car on the track. It's plenty fast enough for me though. Let me know if you're ever in the area. I'll be happy to let you take it for a spin. Here is a picture of my car.

P1030284%20%28Medium%29.JPG

It would be tough parting with the Lotus so, for now, I'm just doing research. Of course, that is how it started with the Lotus so . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts