Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am in the market for a 2004 Coupe CambioCorsa that is Number 15/30 that came into Australia as part of the 90th Anniversary model. This car has been owned by an Italian Car enthusiast who has upgraded to a Ferrari. This car sits at 92,000kms and was wondering what things I should be aware of when going for a test drive.
Car is stock and in immaculate condition and available for around $25,000AUD.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is no such thing as immaculate condition on these cars, there are a bunch of design issues which have failed or are in a state of failure and you will only know when its your turn to pay!

-Full service history will help with trouble shooting in the future (you're going to have to at some point, I promise).
-Import certificate is a must (100% of the cars are imported) because it is very common to wind back the odometer, and an import certificate is the only way to know for sure.
-Check if the odometer is in miles or kms. If it has a black dial face and the speedo is in kms, then the odometer is probably in miles.
-It needs to be inspected on a hoist. Rotors and control arms new from Maserati would cost you $20k plus (probably closer to $40k now with the AUD) if they all needed be done at once and you get them new.
-Check that the gearbox has had regular oil changes in its past, this is almost always skipped.
-You'll need to get it hooked up to a scan tool that can read the gearbox data to check if the solenoids/pumps/accumulator are healthy.
-Radiator is a common point of failure, particularly if it spent most of its life in the UK.
-Clutches last ~50 000km. Check the clutch life remaining with that mileage. Parts are $2k, plus about $2k labour. Get a good shop to check it, it isn't uncommon for people to fudge the clutch reading to make it look like its brand new, but this is really obvious to a good shop. If a clutch wasn't done in the recent service history and its saying only 10% wear then something isn't adding up.

Those are the specific issues I've learnt while fixing mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no such thing as immaculate condition on these cars, there are a bunch of design issues which have failed or are in a state of failure and you will only know when its your turn to pay!

-Full service history will help with trouble shooting in the future (you're going to have to at some point, I promise).
-Import certificate is a must (100% of the cars are imported) because it is very common to wind back the odometer, and an import certificate is the only way to know for sure.
-Check if the odometer is in miles or kms. If it has a black dial face and the speedo is in kms, then the odometer is probably in miles.
-It needs to be inspected on a hoist. Rotors and control arms new from Maserati would cost you $20k plus (probably closer to $40k now with the AUD) if they all needed be done at once and you get them new.
-Check that the gearbox has had regular oil changes in its past, this is almost always skipped.
-You'll need to get it hooked up to a scan tool that can read the gearbox data to check if the solenoids/pumps/accumulator are healthy.
-Radiator is a common point of failure, particularly if it spent most of its life in the UK.
-Clutches last ~50 000km. Check the clutch life remaining with that mileage. Parts are $2k, plus about $2k labour. Get a good shop to check it, it isn't uncommon for people to fudge the clutch reading to make it look like its brand new, but this is really obvious to a good shop. If a clutch wasn't done in the recent service history and its saying only 10% wear then something isn't adding up.

Those are the specific issues I've learnt while fixing mine.
Thanks so much mate, I really appreciate it. I believe this is one of 30 90th Anniversary Editions that came into Australia, so pretty sure its an Aus delivered vehicle. Clutch was done 15,000kms ago and I will get details on rotors and control arms etc.

Is there much of a Non-OEM parts options available for this vehicle?

I understand any weekend toy will come with its expenses, but always loved these Maserati's and they seem to be great value at the moment.

How long have you had yours in the collection?

·
Registered
187 Posts
You will need to the books, if it was delivered to Australia it will have the first signature in it from a guy named Tony Graziani. He was the only official importer for Maserati at the time. The car is a UK car that he ordered, complied and then shipped to Australia from the UK. With these cars, an "Australian" car is UK ordered, Australian delivered. If you can't find his name, then it was driven in the UK in which case inspecting the car for rust is prudent.

There are options for the rotors, though they're not great. Look up my name on the SportsMaserati forum and I've got a thread going about redesigning the rotors as well as some of the issues with the aftermarket options (a few comments about some of the aftermarket brands as well).

The control arms are a whole other problem. There is another thread on the other forum where you can read about my adventures down that path.

I've only had my car since December. Its an 07 Gransport, and it has all the issues I've said above. That said, cars that were asking more than twice what I paid have a lot of the same issues because they are intrinsic failures. A lot of maintenance gets skipped or sold onto the next owner. In Australia in particular they were never sold here so there were never any dealer techs or trained techs so a lot of the maintenance is pretty poor (there are exceptions).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will need to the books, if it was delivered to Australia it will have the first signature in it from a guy named Tony Graziani. He was the only official importer for Maserati at the time. The car is a UK car that he ordered, complied and then shipped to Australia from the UK. With these cars, an "Australian" car is UK ordered, Australian delivered. If you can't find his name, then it was driven in the UK in which case inspecting the car for rust is prudent.

There are options for the rotors, though they're not great. Look up my name on the SportsMaserati forum and I've got a thread going about redesigning the rotors as well as some of the issues with the aftermarket options (a few comments about some of the aftermarket brands as well).

The control arms are a whole other problem. There is another thread on the other forum where you can read about my adventures down that path.

I've only had my car since December. Its an 07 Gransport, and it has all the issues I've said above. That said, cars that were asking more than twice what I paid have a lot of the same issues because they are intrinsic failures. A lot of maintenance gets skipped or sold onto the next owner. In Australia in particular they were never sold here so there were never any dealer techs or trained techs so a lot of the maintenance is pretty poor (there are exceptions).
Love it!! Thanks mate! Yeh, I think at $20-$25K they are a great deal, even with the pending mechanical costs. I will check it out in more detail this week and see what I can find. I found you on the SportsMaserati forum, will take a good read! Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ll pile on two more issues to look for
First, catalytic converter issues. These cars blow out the cats, and under some conditions they can cause complete engine failure. Easy fix, install a set of Larini sport cats and relocate the oxygen sensor.
Second, the heater core. The hose connections are plastic and glued to the metal tubing of the heater core. If it fails, it floods out the electronics on your passenger side floorboard. There are multiple suitable replacements or you can have one custom made, but it’s a lot of labor to do (about 10-14 hours)

I have this very model and year, US version. You’ll need a clutch replacement soon, and you should switch out every hose and switch in there while it’s open.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll pile on two more issues to look for
First, catalytic converter issues. These cars blow out the cats, and under some conditions they can cause complete engine failure. Easy fix, install a set of Larini sport cats and relocate the oxygen sensor.
Second, the heater core. The hose connections are plastic and glued to the metal tubing of the heater core. If it fails, it floods out the electronics on your passenger side floorboard. There are multiple suitable replacements or you can have one custom made, but it’s a lot of labor to do (about 10-14 hours)

I have this very model and year, US version. You’ll need a clutch replacement soon, and you should switch out every hose and switch in there while it’s open.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Todd. Clutch replacement done 15,000kms ago and will find out details of other issues.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What state are you in?

A few months ago I contacted Larini about the exhaust setup and it was nearly $12k to do the whole lot - now it would be a whole lot worse. If you're in Sydney or Perth I can point you to a good exhaust shop and it will cost you maybe 1/4 of the Larini parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What state are you in?

A few months ago I contacted Larini about the exhaust setup and it was nearly $12k to do the whole lot - now it would be a whole lot worse. If you're in Sydney or Perth I can point you to a good exhaust shop and it will cost you maybe 1/4 of the Larini parts.
I'm in Melbourne mate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to live in Melbourne... Used to...
Do you know if the 4.2ltr Coupe is a better buy than the 3200GT? There are 2 cars for sale that both seem to be great options, the 3200GT having a lot of mechanical work done to it while the 4.2 Coupe is a later model and 90th Anniversary model. Similar KMs but wasn't sure if there was a better variant? Love the look of both cars but the Twin Turbo I am unsure of.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't touched the 3200GT so can't comment. It all comes down to what you want out the car really. At the moment, I'm willing to fix the issues with my car but for many other people they'd prefer a Corolla.

·
Registered
2006 Maserati Gransport Spyder
34 Posts
If I am not mistaken, I believe this car has the same style interior as a grand sport however the computer modulars and tuning is still with the CAMBIOCORSA. So do not expect the grand sport Upgraded performance and faster shifting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I am not mistaken, I believe this car has the same style interior as a grand sport however the computer modulars and tuning is still with the CAMBIOCORSA. So do not expect the grand sport Upgraded performance and faster shifting.
Thanks! I will drive all 3 before I make a decision!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts