Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered a new key for their car? How much should I expect the dealer to charge? Like a lot of the switchgear and interior trim pieces on these cars, my key looks like its for a car with 100K miles on it, not 20K.

On a similar note, does anyone know of a place where I could get a switchblade-type key made for the car? I asked the dealer the last time I was there and apparently the newest Q-ports are still using the same key as the Coupes, so I guess I am looking for an aftermarket source. The main reason for this search being the short life of any polished key ring after a few weeks scraping up against the metal portion of the key in my pocket.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I order one key last year. It cost about $350 and programing cost another $120. They charge me one hour labor to program it. Actually it cost less than 20 minute but the dealer said that it is standard charge. :mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think keys run about $200. The dealer ordered one for me when I bought the car (there was only one key with the car). That was 2 months ago and it still hasn't come in... salesman makes it sound like that is pretty typical.

I would hate to lose my key and have to wait 3 months for the replacement! :confused:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
...On a similar note, does anyone know of a place where I could get a switchblade-type key made for the car? I asked the dealer the last time I was there and apparently the newest Q-ports are still using the same key as the Coupes, so I guess I am looking for an aftermarket source.
the QP keys are different from the 4200's. they are the 'switchblade-type' key as you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
...On a similar note, does anyone know of a place where I could get a switchblade-type key made for the car? I asked the dealer the last time I was there and apparently the newest Q-ports are still using the same key as the Coupes, so I guess I am looking for an aftermarket source.
the QP keys are different from the 4200's. they are the 'switchblade-type' key as you mentioned.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Has anyone ordered a new key for their car? How much should I expect the dealer to charge?
I did about a year ago (my car also only came with one key) and it ran about $200 + $130 labor. It took a few weeks to get here (from Italy). The dealership (FM of Orange County) told me that at least it wasn't a Ferrari key, which can run up to $1k. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So $330 for a key?? I wouldn't consider myself cheap, but come on. It's not even that nice of a key. What's the deal, is it somehow illegal for third parties to sell keys, even if given proper proof of ownership?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone ordered a new key for their car? How much should I expect the dealer to charge? Like a lot of the switchgear and interior trim pieces on these cars, my key looks like its for a car with 100K miles on it, not 20K.

On a similar note, does anyone know of a place where I could get a switchblade-type key made for the car? I asked the dealer the last time I was there and apparently the newest Q-ports are still using the same key as the Coupes, so I guess I am looking for an aftermarket source. The main reason for this search being the short life of any polished key ring after a few weeks scraping up against the metal portion of the key in my pocket.
Replaced lost key for'05 spyder=$350
nielsq

1 - 8 of 8 Posts