Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out tracking my GranSport Spyder today at the "Lightning" track at NJ Motorsports Park. A heck of a lot of fun so far. The track isn't extremely technical - but more challenging than you would think. It was subtle enough to give many people too much confidence (myself included!). A couple people hit tire walls, one blown engine, a few spins, and I ran off through some grass (no damage!).

I added the Formula Dynamics sway bars to the car before this track run (already had the springs, pads and air filter) and the sway bars definitely held me flatter and I could swear the steering felt quicker too. All in all, a lot of fun and the FD stuff definitely shows improvements.

Tomorrow we hit the other track here (Thunderbolt). A bit more technical - here's hoping to staying on pavement!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So you did feel a difference between springs only and springs + sway bars?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am interested in your feeling on the track day group there.

I did the Lightning course on 2 wheels, and am looking to get a beater/trackday car. Did you get any lap times on Lightning?

How was the Chin group? any worries about the others on the track being out of control? Did the car get sand blasted?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chin Motorsports is a great group of people. I went to Watkins Glen with them a few months ago and plan on going to VIR in December with them. All of the participants are very aware and courteous.

Lightning was interesting although I enjoyed Thunderbolt much more. Faster track with a few more technical turns and longer too. Very different tracks but I think Thunderbolt was a real blast - and I left shiny side up!

The run-off on Lightning wasn't too bad - a little dusty but no damage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you did feel a difference between springs only and springs + sway bars?
I want to say yes - a little challening to answer directly because the last time when it was just the springs was at Watkins Glen - so different track and experience level at that point, but the car definitely seemed flatter.

At NJ Motorsports, you have a ton of run-off room that you don't have at the Glen (blue guardrails everywhere) so here I was pushing the car much harder. I shut of MSP and just went for it knowing I can always runoff into the grass (partly why I pushed too hard on Lightning).

Today was a really successful day on Thunderbolt with some one very tight decreasing radius turn that I think the setup of springs and swaybars really set me up for success.

I think now I need to find some way to get some more power - I was doing really well keeping up with everyone through the turns but coming out of the apexes into some straights I found that I couldn't keep pace (or at least overcome) some M3s and a Lotus Exige S (I know the M3s had some mods - not sure about the Exige).

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I think now I need to find some way to get some more power - I was doing really well keeping up with everyone through the turns but coming out of the apexes into some straights I found that I couldn't keep pace (or at least overcome) some M3s and a Lotus Exige S (I know the M3s had some mods - not sure about the Exige).
I'm very surprised, I'd expect the Exige to be faster on the turns but never on the straight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm very surprised, I'd expect the Exige to be faster on the turns but never on the straight.
I agree - he was definitely giving me a heck of a run in the turns, but I couldn't believe how hard he was to catch in the straights! I guess because they are so light (and like I said I am not 100% sure it was not modified) but it really shocked me!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Hi Drew,

Glad to hear the sway bars are working out. Those little Lotus's do very well getting off the corners because they're just so light. With a few mods they go good on the straights too. Keep in mind that's meant to be a track day car and the GS is not. The fact that you're competing with them says good things about your car and your driving. I bet they're suprised to see you coming up on them in the corners!

Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts