Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah I was surprised at the $149,000 price too. Here in the USA all I've heard is $135,000, now this one article comes out at $14K more. Odd why they're so different than everyone else. Somebody is right and somebody is wrong. All I know is at $149,000 I'm more likely to keep my CLK63 Black Series instead of buying the GranTurismo S.

·
Registered
107 Posts
$135k is supposed to be the base price. then you need to add gaz guzzler, destination, options, etc, and i bet it's at least $143k before taxes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah I was surprised at the $149,000 price too. Here in the USA all I've heard is $135,000, now this one article comes out at $14K more. Odd why they're so different than everyone else. Somebody is right and somebody is wrong. All I know is at $149,000 I'm more likely to keep my CLK63 Black Series instead of buying the GranTurismo S.

Depends what you're after in a vehicle - see the thread on Granturismo S seats for a comparison in power/torque between my CLK500 and a Granturismo S. If you love your low down torque and straight line speed you'll probably favour your CLK Black regardless of price. The Granturismo S is a much nicer looking car and quality interor IMHO but there'll be certain areas you take a backward step with the Maserati and speed is one of them.

Oh - feel free to come down to Australia and pay US $355k for a Granturismo S - we've got everyone covered on price :mad:

Cheers,

Ed

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just saw Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear call the Black Series his new favorite car and the Stig told him its the most fun car he's driven in years. Its tough to give that up knowing exactly what they mean, its so light on its feet and a true competitor on the track with the Porsche GT3, but its not an Italian and as good as the sound is on the Black it can't match the Granturismo S. The bottom line though is what car is going to make you smile more when in the drivers seat and because of that I will hold off until I can get a test drive in the Granturismo S. I'm luckily not between a rock and a hard place, either way I win.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just saw Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear call the Black Series his new favorite car and the Stig told him its the most fun car he's driven in years. Its tough to give that up knowing exactly what they mean, its so light on its feet and a true competitor on the track with the Porsche GT3, but its not an Italian and as good as the sound is on the Black it can't match the Granturismo S. The bottom line though is what car is going to make you smile more when in the drivers seat and because of that I will hold off until I can get a test drive in the Granturismo S. I'm luckily not between a rock and a hard place, either way I win.
Good call - I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the Maser Granturismo S more too but going to wait for a test drive just the same. Need to make sure it's that much better that it justifies the price difference , a few Merc luxuries I'll lose and I also need to see if they can get the seats to go back far enough to fit my long legs in. I wouldn't have thought I was that hard to accomodate at just over 6 foot but there you go..................

With the commodity prices boom going on, you guys Down Under must be swimming in $$$ ;)

Just kiddin'!

:) The Australian economy is very two paced. You have the resource rich states of Western Australia and Queensland creating a boom that's fuelling inflation in the national figures but prosperity just locally. Meanwhile the more populated industrial states such as New South Wales and Victoria are struggling to keep their head above water........defaults are rising , house prices are stagnant and record petrol prices are biting the average family. We have the Reserve Bank that has raised interest rates 12 times consecutively to keep inflation generated by the resources boom under control......mortgage rates are approaching 10%pa and housing affordability (wages related to mortgage repayments) is at an all time record low. The inflation targetting by the Reserve is mostly impacting those in non-resource states who don't need to be told not to spend but that's the way the system works.

I am in the fortunate position of having worked my butt off over the years to the point where I took the plunge, retired from my day job at 30 years old in 2003 and have spent the last 5 years making a living from the stock market , despite a tougher year this year. I'm working a 70- 80hr week from home in my "retirement" though ;) Hence my ability to consider a 360k car purchase.

Outside of those who've taken a risk and been successful in small business or those working in the resources boom states the vast majority of Australians working their day jobs are struggling to make ends meet. The taxes we pay here on luxury cars are also a joke. Unlike the USA we're addicted to providing welfare to people who don't genuinely need it and we discourage success,supposedly for the greater good and a part of that (in addition to throwing tens of millions at companies like Toyota to build here) is trying to prop up a local car industry that is dead on its feet by taxing imports and luxury cars to death. We'd do better to let the car industry live or die on its merits and get a few of those workers over to WA to meet job demand in the mines . They'd all end up earning more than they do building cars, wages would fall overall and inflation/interest rates would fall which would benefit everyone. Letting towns that are reliant on the car manufacturing industry die isn't politically correct though and is unlikely to be allowed to happen.

I know you were kidding but hey - no harm in getting up on my soapbox just this once ;).

Cheers,

Ed

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I thought you'd made your money with records? :confused:

;)

I am in one of those moods today ... :D

PS: Thanks for the info on the Ozzy economy. Interesting reading and well done on "retiring" at 30!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good call - I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the Maser Granturismo S more too but going to wait for a test drive just the same. Need to make sure it's that much better that it justifies the price difference , a few Merc luxuries I'll lose and I also need to see if they can get the seats to go back far enough to fit my long legs in. I wouldn't have thought I was that hard to accomodate at just over 6 foot but there you go..................

:) The Australian economy is very two paced. You have the resource rich states of Western Australia and Queensland creating a boom that's fuelling inflation in the national figures but prosperity just locally. Meanwhile the more populated industrial states such as New South Wales and Victoria are struggling to keep their head above water........defaults are rising , house prices are stagnant and record petrol prices are biting the average family. We have the Reserve Bank that has raised interest rates 12 times consecutively to keep inflation generated by the resources boom under control......mortgage rates are approaching 10%pa and housing affordability (wages related to mortgage repayments) is at an all time record low. The inflation targetting by the Reserve is mostly impacting those in non-resource states who don't need to be told not to spend but that's the way the system works.

I am in the fortunate position of having worked my butt off over the years to the point where I took the plunge, retired from my day job at 30 years old in 2003 and have spent the last 5 years making a living from the stock market , despite a tougher year this year. I'm working a 70- 80hr week from home in my "retirement" though ;) Hence my ability to consider a 360k car purchase.

Outside of those who've taken a risk and been successful in small business or those working in the resources boom states the vast majority of Australians working their day jobs are struggling to make ends meet. The taxes we pay here on luxury cars are also a joke. Unlike the USA we're addicted to providing welfare to people who don't genuinely need it and we discourage success,supposedly for the greater good and a part of that (in addition to throwing tens of millions at companies like Toyota to build here) is trying to prop up a local car industry that is dead on its feet by taxing imports and luxury cars to death. We'd do better to let the car industry live or die on its merits and get a few of those workers over to WA to meet job demand in the mines . They'd all end up earning more than they do building cars, wages would fall overall and inflation/interest rates would fall which would benefit everyone. Letting towns that are reliant on the car manufacturing industry die isn't politically correct though and is unlikely to be allowed to happen.

I know you were kidding but hey - no harm in getting up on my soapbox just this once ;).

Cheers,

Ed
Eddie doesn't know how good he has it. Up here in NSW, the Iemma government is seriously considering putting satellite tracking speed limiters on all cars. Every time our Premier makes a policy announcement I want to puke.

·
Registered
38 Posts
:D - we don't normally take much notice of NSW politics in our papers etc.........but yes, I must admit that Mr Iemma (the dilemma) is even becoming newsworthy down here in Melbourne. You have my sympathy ;)

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.