Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the GT since it was announced and have driven one at the dealership. I am completely blown away by its looks and pretty much by its driveability (all cars could always be a little faster!) My question before ordering: what upgrades are planned during the first year's production? I'm pretty sure that bluetooth, nav update and satellite are in the works, but any other items that anyone is aware of? I've never owned a Maser and I am not sure of their serviceablity and if it takes them a year to get things sorted out on new models. And, I live about 200 miles from the closest dealer. Since my dealer says there is about a 6-8 month wait for the order process, should I just wait a few months to order and get an '09? When does Maserati change model years? The deal that we are talking about is sticker price. Thanks for any advise and/or experience.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would say wait for the 09... I have been told to never buy first year cars, and many of the people here follow that rule too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard talk of a 4.7 liter engine. (I thought it was on this board)

Best of luck with your purchase. The configurator is so much fun to toy with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my catalogue (I'm in Asia), there are a few new options that states can be ordered in Dec. (I got my catalogue in Nov. when I was about to confirm my options).

Front parking sensors
Dual tone seating
bluetooth
ipod interface

I wanted the front parking sensors, but I was later told by my dealer that these options got delayed until mid June-July.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i would not be tremendously worried about 'first year' bugs on the GT.
it's drivetrain and chassis is practically a QP Automatica, which has been out for a year already.

the MY changes occurs in the fall. new MY cars arrive at the dealership around oct/nov.

someone did post something from an UK magazine indicating a 4.7L engine for the GT. but like i said, you will have to wait until March to see what they have for the Geneva auto show for the MY09. if they don't have anything there, you might be safe for 2009.

really depends if u want your GT before the summer....

6-8 months is quite long... is there such a small allocation?
when i ordered my QP (around launch time) it was only 2-3 months.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Look what i did: i just loved the GT and i bought it in the middle of december last year.

I don't give a shit about real depreciation about such an emotional car, if you do, you should get a second hand 4 year old VW and drive it for another 10 years. I'm not planning to sell this thing anyways. But i can understand that you try to be smart and get the best deal possible, in fact, ofcorse i should have done that also, but i just couldn't resist the temptation once i made the descision to drive one!! Why should i wait ? Live the dream now!!

I got 3 years unlimited miles warranty that includes everything exepct brakes, tires and battery and i can upgrade for another year for like 3000 usdollars, that should fit the bill, i drive with this car around 30.000miles a year so i guess that if they are problems, they will fix them in the 120.000 miles i will drive with this thing, and if it still drives i will bloody buy another maserati right away (could be sooner ofcorse!!!)

So don't listen to me, we earned our cash by hard work and not being a sissy! i believe you only live once, so live the dream now damned!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Look what i did: i just loved the GT and i bought it in the middle of december last year.

I don't give a shit about real depreciation about such an emotional car, if you do, you should get a second hand 4 year old VW and drive it for another 10 years. I'm not planning to sell this thing anyways. But i can understand that you try to be smart and get the best deal possible, in fact, ofcorse i should have done that also, but i just couldn't resist the temptation once i made the descision to drive one!! Why should i wait ? Live the dream now!!

I got 3 years unlimited miles warranty that includes everything exepct brakes, tires and battery and i can upgrade for another year for like 3000 usdollars, that should fit the bill, i drive with this car around 30.000miles a year so i guess that if they are problems, they will fix them in the 120.000 miles i will drive with this thing, and if it still drives i will bloody buy another maserati right away (could be sooner ofcorse!!!)

So don't listen to me, we earned our cash by hard work and not being a sissy! i believe you only live once, so live the dream now damned!!!

Loved this post! :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would say wait for the 09... I have been told to never buy first year cars, and many of the people here follow that rule too.

I would agree that this is good advice despite the running gear being out for nearly a year in the QP. My CL500 is the 3rd production year, and it has been a nightmare!

I was told to expect bigger front brake calipers and dual metallic rotors (definitely needed from what I experienced in an allowed 4 mile only drive) from the new QP "GTS" series. Maybe the suspension and lowering of the GTS series as well.

I would not be surprised to see either a larger engine or more advanced ECU tuning to give the vehicle a bit more feeling of pep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the comments. I do agree that buying a GT is certainly an emotional decision! I, too, will probably just keep it and the issue is not so much depreciation as I want to get all the features I want (improved nav, sat and ipod connectivity) as well as the biggest engine if they indeed are going to the 4.7 in 2009 models. Thanks for the tip on the Geneva show. I hadn't thought about Maserati showing the '09s there. I'll be watching. Also, in looking at the website (and denied by the dealer) is the possibility of a factory delivery. That would be fantastic. Has anyone taken delivery at the factory?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I appreciate all the comments. I do agree that buying a GT is certainly an emotional decision! I, too, will probably just keep it and the issue is not so much depreciation as I want to get all the features I want (improved nav, sat and ipod connectivity) as well as the biggest engine if they indeed are going to the 4.7 in 2009 models. ........
In buying this car there is almost everything emotion!

One big point of emotion for his car is the beating 4.2 Ferrari heart in the Gran Tourismo.
For me at least, emotion will partly fade away once the 4.7 motor is coming, because this will be an Alfa train. This might be a push for Alfa overall sales but not for the Maseratis! I do not mind, it will increase the emotional value of my Ferrari-Masi even more :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts