Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 GS was delivered yesterday. Props to Augie at Maserati of Washington for working hard to get me a great deal. Nero with yellow piping. Very nice. Having owned an 02 GT, was a little nervous about whether I would like the F1 transmission, but really love it. Couple initial questions:
1) I drive in sport mode, but around my neigborhood, cut the sport so I don't upset my neighbors too much with the loud exhaust....(apparently, some of them don't appreciate the rumble as much as me). Plus, I leave early in the morning. Is there any reason that frequently switching sport mode on and off would be an issue? Can't imagine it would be, but you never know.
2) I Read all the threads on clutch life.....seems consensus is to downshift the car as you approach a light and leave in first gear (as opposed to shifting to neutral). Anyone vehemently disagree with that?
3) When I open the door, there is a buzzing sound that seems to come from the rear of the car that lasts about 3 seconds. Never happened on the GT. What is this?
4) The guy who delivered the car insisted that I let the car warm up at least two minutes before driving. Does everyone out there do that as well?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Post pics!!!!!

To the issues:

I most definitely agree with letting your car warm up to operating temperature before driving it away. The fluids need to warm up to become the most effective they can be. This is true with all cars. Driving your car from a cold start causes the motor to operate at higher RPMs than it should handle when it is cold. This is why you should let it idle and warm up. You should do this with all cars. It will prolong the life of internal components.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got a coupe GT so I can't help you on most of the issues. However, I was always told that warming up a car was a bad thing to do. When a car is cold the choke will be on and the mixture will be very wet and will wash the oil film off the cylinder walls and lead to early scoring and loss of compression. I've always just got in and driven. I have a TUBI and my neighbors haven't complained -- yet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
1) "Sport mode" is just a bit in the engine/transmission ECUs. The tubi opens up after 4K rpm regardless of sport or normal mode settings, and the skyhook shocks are constantly modulated. So I don't think sport mode in-and-out could cause any wear, etc except to the button itself.

I often leave my car in sport mode while driving (on smooth roads), but switch out while waiting at a stoplight, so I don't sound like an a$$^o|e.

2) I treat mine just like a manual transmission, which it essentially is. Rather than downshifting through 3-5 gears to first, into a sure stop at the next light, I just flick it into neutral like a manual and coast to a stop. My only exception is to keep the gas pedal down through the shift if accelerating brisky and shifting above 4K rpms, or when downshifting.

3) That's your F1 pump getting the transmission ready to change gears (ie into neutral to start the engine).

4) I'd let it run at least 10-15 seconds before putting it into gear to let oil splash all over the cylinder walls, and lube the gearbox, then drive gently (3K rpm max) until the thing warms up a little. Cold oil doesn't flow fast through cold passages.

Deane

·
Registered
695 Posts
Steve said:
4) The guy who delivered the car insisted that I let the car warm up at least two minutes before driving. Does everyone out there do that as well?
Thanks,
Steve
Modern cars are engineered to drive soon after starting for fuel economy and emissions reasons. Fuel injection is mapped for this, hot or cold. With the BMW, I am rolling out of the garage almost before the starter has quit spinning.

The maser is not a car, it is an Italian work of art. With all the good and bad that entails. From cold start, I let her idle a few minutes til I see the temp guage move. And as mentioned, keep it under a 3K til its at normal running temp.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bcube said:
...From cold start, I let her idle a few minutes til I see the temp guage move. And as mentioned, keep it under a 3K til its at normal running temp.
i do exactly the same. also, don't rave over 4K when temp is under 160F.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats! I almost bought that very same car. I am glad that it found a good home. I purchased mine from Augie as well. Great guy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't wait for the engine to warm up on idle. Driving under normal condition makes engine reaching the operating temperature faster, so you are putting the engine under stress in the shortest amount of time. My 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts