Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this email from Maserati:

Maserati is proud to present its new GranTurismo S Automatic in a world exclusive. The Modenese company's latest creation will be officially unveiled at the Geneva Motorshow to be held from 5-15 March.

The most powerful of the V8 wet sump engines is the beating heart of the new Maserati; this particular version is the 4.7 litre unit that develops 440 bhp at 7000 rpm and a peak torque of 490 Nm at 4750 rpm.

In line with the unique style of all the GranTurismos, this new car features understated but distinctive modifications to the bodywork that make it stand out from the bunch. It also boasts a wider range equipment as standard to improve on-board quality levels.

The Maserati Team

What am I missing here? Is Maserati going to produce an S with the same ZF gearbox as my 2008 Gran Turismo-if so I want one!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
In my experience, Maserati tends to have about six months from the presentation of the car to actual deliveries. Given the US is a key Maserati market, and the car not really a new one, I'd say you should be able to get a GranTurismo S Automatica in the good old US of A, sometime in the Fall.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The most powerful of the V8 wet sump engines is the beating heart of the new
It's this part that caught my eye. I had heard rumors of a turbocharged engine in a new spyder. Maybe this wording leaves it open as a possibility? maybe a V12 would be better than a turbo 6 though... maybe this deserves its own thread...

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Briik, yes, maybe worth opening a new thread, but as far as I can see, Ferrari won't let Maserati have a V12 and FPT (Fiat Powertrain Technologies) is coming up with a whole host of new, smaller, turbocharged engines for the small to medium sized cars, but I have yet to hear of a new "biturbo" type engine for the future Maseratis.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
btw, does that mean maserati will discontinue the GT S in MC Shift? as they indicated before launch that it will be a limited production model with only one model year?

What am I missing here? Is Maserati going to produce an S with the same ZF gearbox as my 2008 Gran Turismo-if so I want one!
honestly, i think the MC Shift in the 209 Granturismo S is a fabulous car. i do not like that ZF auto very much. somehow it does not go with the sportiness of the S. if you absolutely require an automatic and / or afraid of the MC Shift box, then i can see the point of buying a GT S in auto.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
btw, does that mean maserati will discontinue the GT S in MC Shift? as they indicated before launch that it will be a limited production model with only one model year?
Just to confirm, this "one year only" spiel is something that Maserati apparently only publicised in the USA. As far as my contacts and direct information indicate, it was a marketing ploy at the time and not something mentioned in Europe or Asia.

Then again, I may be wrong of course, just telling you guys what I hear :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
good find. but it doesn't look like an GT S...
no aero parts. and it still have the quad exhaust... does it get the active exhausts as in the (MC Shift) GT S?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Just to confirm, this "one year only" spiel is something that Maserati apparently only publicised in the USA. As far as my contacts and direct information indicate, it was a marketing ploy at the time and not something mentioned in Europe or Asia.

Then again, I may be wrong of course, just telling you guys what I hear :)
the US site:
http://www.maserati.us/maserati/us/en/index/models/GT/GranTurismo-S/Personalization.html

"Exclusivity: Limited production matched with limitless personalization"

"Maserati will produce only a few hundred ‘S’ models, limited to only the 2009 model year, yet offers millions of choices – making it truly possible for every GranTurismo S to be unique."

and you are correct. the international site, japan site, and UK site has no mention of anything about it being a limited model to 2009.

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/GranTurismo-S/personalisation.html

http://www.maserati.co.uk/maserati/uk/en/index/models/GranTurismo-S/Personalizzazione.html

i hope this marketing ploy will actually work in favor for the enthusiasts.
they have no incentive to bring more MC shift GT S in for 2010 MY now that they can focus on the auto GT S.
this will probably raise the collectibility or at least the resale value of these MC Shift GT S.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en...-events/Maserati-GranTurismo-S-Automatic.html

23/02/2009 - Modena

True to Maserati’s commitment to introduce a new model at every international car show, the GranTurismo S Automatic will première at the next Geneva Auto Show on 3rd March.

The new Maserati GranTurismo S Automatic features a 4.7 V8 which develops 440 HP (323kW) at 7000 rpm. The maximum torque is 490Nm at 4.750 rpm.
The major novelty is the combination of the automatic transmission with the most powerful wet sump Maserati V8 on the GranTurismo – until now offered as 4.2 l with automatic transmission and 4.7 l with an electro-actuated gearbox. Thanks to the combination of the 323kW produced by the powerful 4.7l V8 engine and the smoothness of the ZF 6-speed automatic gearbox, the Maserati GranTurismo S Automatic stresses the original granturismo concept while at the same time offering peak performance.
The Skyhook suspension system featuring continuously adjustable dampers provides great driving comfort. Passive safety is further enhanced thanks to the introduction on the GranTurismo range of a new generation passenger air-bag with Low Risk Deployment functionality.
Consistently with the unmistakable design of all Maseratis, the Maserati GranTurismo S Automatic features some marked stylistic differences which make it immediately recognisable: the new under-door mini-skirts featuring a prominent shape, which enhances the dynamism of its profile and the new 20” wheel rims with “Trident” design, which recall the strength and elegance of the car.
A further enriched equipment increases the on board pleasure for the driver and the three passengers, thanks to the Bluetooth® Wireless Technology, offered as standard, and the Ipod® interface, available upon request, which complete the Maserati Multi Media System.
Maserati owners can get more information and view exclusive photos by accessing the Owners' Club on www.owners.maserati.com.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
so if you spot the side skirts, you will see 4 versions of the GT:

GT (standard sideskirt)
GT-S (MC Shift) - aero side skirt
GT-S (MC Shift + MC Sport Line) - matt black skirt
GT-S (Auto) - slight aero side skirt

·
Registered
49 Posts
good find. but it doesn't look like an GT S...
no aero parts. and it still have the quad exhaust... does it get the active exhausts as in the (MC Shift) GT S?
Looks like you get the 4 x exhaust pipes as per the original Granturismo but also with the side skirts as per the 'S'

Must say I love my 'S' and very, very happy with the transmission (so far - 3500 miles)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, standard headlights (no black surround), no red trident badge, ? no spoiler (hard to tell), looks less aggressive than the GT-S manual. I think it will be priced between the GT and the current GT-S.

Also, it looks like they are bringing in true iPod integration as an option. I wonder if this can be retrofitted?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.