Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since tomorrow Maserati will post details on the new Granturismo to be presented in Geneva next week it is time to open a thread on this new version. (although there are some old threads but those were still based on rumours)
The maserati webside has been hinting at the name (Granturismo S) and the new F1 transmission (an adapted F599 one) with gear changes in 100ms. Motor is the 4,7L dry sump and rumours are more sportive looks, sportive exhaust and some weight loss.

I was looking at the Alfa 8C motor and concludes it is 10,5% larger (displacement) than the current 4,2 (4.691 vs 4.244cc) and has 10,3% more power (443Hp/450PS vs 399Hp/405PS). However torque is only 4,3% higher (480Nm vs 460NM although some sources mention our current motor has 453NM)...... I assume there is more torque available earlier on. Can anybody confirm these numbers and the "advantages" of the low torque increase?

The HP increase is slightly disappointing and the torque increase is disappointing. The new duoselect sounds very good though..... Good thing the car is sooo gorgeous and usefull (back seats) since pure numbers are a bit too far from M6 territory and too close to M3 territory for my liking, a pitty

Will these changes push official 0-100 below 5 sec?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news....

I paste some info from another thread to keep things in tghe same place:

"Set to be one of the star attractions at next week’s Geneva Motor Show, this is the Maserati GranTurismo S, a flagship that shifts the super-coupe’s emphasis from style to performance.

Key to the newcomer’s appeal is its mighty 434bhp 4.7-litre V8 powerplant – a 35bhp boost over the standard car. To help drivers make the most of the S it is fitted with Maserati’s quick-shifting automated manual gearbox.

What's more the range-topper also comes with powerful Brembo brakes as standard.

Buyers are also treated to a subtle bodykit and exterior styling tweaks to set the high performance model apart. Inside, the cabin is trimmed with leather and Alcantara and features a bespoke seat design.

Expect more details when the racy Italian is unveiled in Geneva on Tuesday 4th March".

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, since the cat has been let out of the bag let me just say that the GT S probably won't lose any significant weight. The front brakes are borrowed from the QP Sport GT S but let's be realistic, that's not going to alter the gross weight all that much. I witnessed two of these cars being road tested thru the streets of Maranello and let me tell you, the new exhaust system is to die for!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
how do the new GT owners feel about this?
i would be pissed if my brand new $100k GT just become less than top of the line in a few months of ownership.

as well, WHY don't they use this engine in the QP GT-S ???

just very poor product planning.

·
Registered
96 Posts
M,

In answer to your question..... pi$$ed! I was due to get my car in January after my dealer used every trick in the book to get me to sign up for a December build car back in late October. No mention was made of a higher powered car being launched in a matter of months when I agreed to take the production slot. I ordered Grigio Touring and was only told in mid December that there was a delay on cars in this colour. I've had to continually chase the dealer for info and the car kept being pushed back in the production schedule and went from a December build car, to January, then February and now March. To say I'm unhappy with my first experience of purchasing a Maserati would be an understatement but I do love the car. I'm just hoping that the S model doesn't severely affect residuals but the fact that it only has the CC transmission should help things in that respect. Time will tell. The one thing I will be interested to see on the S is the seats which is supposed to feature a new design. The seat comfort is the one weak area of the GranTurismo IMHO.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe that is why the increased power only marginally sadly enough. They did sell/market the Granturismo as a luxury GT. They are selling the GT S as the sportive version at a 10% price premium....

Great news on the exhaust sound!!!! Although visually I do prefer the 4 tubes....I hope the GT S overall is more raw and sportive than the luxury GT....

So the differences:
engine ++ (pity we did not get 470HP)
gearbox +++++
seats +++ (hopefully an improvement)
alcantara
exhaust ++++ (crossing my fingers)
wheels +++
body trim +++
brakes +++
weight???? probably only marginally

I ma test driving the GT again tomorrow and who knows.... 1st GT S arriving in july/august here....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Body trim
a small rear spoiler on the trunk
skirts
maserati logos with red stripes

anything else?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dealer also confirms the arrival of new S model possibly by Oct 2008. New engin would be 4.7 L with power increase to 465 HP and new CC trany. No pricing information yet. They are not too thrilled about another CC transmission since they had so many issues with clutch wear in previous model.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Power will be increased to 440, not 465. The new spoiler won't actually be placed on the trunk but more of a steeply curved lip...take a look at the Ferrari 360 Modena and then look at a 360CS...same type of evolution.

·
Registered
56 Posts
how do the new GT owners feel about this?
i would be pissed if my brand new $100k GT just become less than top of the line in a few months of ownership.

as well, WHY don't they use this engine in the QP GT-S ???

just very poor product planning.

Why should I be pissed off?
I bought this car without making any compromise. The GT(no S) is for me the perfect Granturismo with a sportive character. This it proves to me every day.

To jump up in 4.9 sec instead of 5.3? So what!
The extra "S" will not change the overall character of this car at all. Same applies to the "extra boost of 35 bhp". And do not tell me, you can feel the difference between a wet and dry sump with your a...! Also the GTS will never be a real sports car. Thinking, that Maserati never ever had this in mind!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
completely agree. The GT was too luxury for me because of the automatic box (which is excellent but not for me). The GT S will have one of the best manual robotised gearbox availeble and that alone is a reason for me to look at it. The HP is an extra and could have been more. Sadly they still take Ferrari into account for speccing the Maseratis. But HP always can be more..... The GT S will have a 10% power increase and a 7%-10% weight improvement vs my QP...... I do hope the GT S is a bit more raw with more emphasis on sport like a louder exhaust, better brakes, more sportive seats, handling (better weight distribution then GT, lower weight then QP) etc but the big change for me is the gearbox....
I should the one to be be angry since to have my Duoselect I'll have to pay a 10% premium for a car that probably afterwards is a bit more difficult to sell then the automatic version that has a larger audience....

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Well, the GS only had 10hp more than the Coupe and by reading this forum, one would think there is very little to complain about the GS, so the GT S hopefully will be just as good :)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts