Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New GT has only 1500 km (900 miles) on the odometer, and the engine light came on a few days ago. My fears of owning a Maserati starting to become a realized? I drove the car a couple more times to see if the light would miraculously disappear by itself. Didn't happen.

I recalled that the engine light used to come on for my Jeep when the gas lid wasn't fastened properly, so I checked the gas lid for the GT and lo and behold, it was open. The dumb_ss gas attendant didn't know how to properly fasten the gas lid so he just literally slid on the lid and didn't bother turning it. So I closed the lid and restarted the car. Light still there. Damn.

Drove the car for another 3 days - light still on. Then all of a sudden, it turned off yesterday. What the??

Anyone have any idea?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
It can take some time for the temporary codes to clear, I wouldn't think that the gas cap code would stay on that long. Sometimes they take a predetermined # of cycles of the ignition key to clear. In any case, an inexpensive code reader is probably a good investment for any maserati, just so you know what the problem is and if it's dangerous to continue driving with the condition present. If it was a Honda you may just keep going but with a Maserati, you may want to make sure it's OK and reduce any potential damage. It also puts you in a better position when you bring it in for service or repair... Then you know more.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ferrari's are very sensitive to loose gas caps as well.

You are lucky the code cleared.

Keep the cap tight!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts