Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Maserati really dumbed down the new Granturisimo? They've chucked many of the things that made the Ferrari engineered cars so special. To wit:

No Dry Sump engine.
No Transaxle gearbox location.
No F1 style gearbox, or even better DSG gearbox.
No smooth bodywork, i.e. exposed body seams along the roof.

Hey Maserati, we notice these things. Maybe the people that buy big Benz and BMW coupes don't but we do. Without these "go the extra mile" features the new Maserati coupe is in real danger of losing its soul and being just another pretty face without much more behind it.

Please bring back the features that make my '07 QP Sport GT so special.
And please don't argue that Maserati can't make money with these features.
The engineering and tooling costs were amortised a long time ago. I'm certain that Maserati enthusiasts would gladly pay the relatively small additional production costs for the real thing.

TW

·
Registered
153 Posts
I spoke with my dealer the other day and voiced my disappointment over the performance of the new car. He told me that a 470bhp version with a CC box was on its way. Now that makes sense!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I spoke with my dealer the other day and voiced my disappointment over the performance of the new car. He told me that a 470bhp version with a CC box was on its way. Now that makes sense!!
...but not in the foreseeable future, I'm afraid. The GT as-is would be hitting the UK shores in Sep; reckon not until Sep 08 you would see the improved Coupe (maybe May? hope so.) Still, better engine and CC are not the only things wrong with this package, so dunno...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i agree here. it seems their product planning is way off.
the new M3 at 1/2 the price of a GT now gets a 420hp V8....

if they put out a GT (AT) with 450-470hp it will totally piss of those first owners of the model. not a good way to please your customers.

what will most likely happen for 2008 MY is there will be a GT (DS) with higher output (470 as surfnirvana mentioned, but i imagine around 450 or less like the 8C), perhaps under a GT Sport or GT/GS name, while the GT (AT) remains at 400hp or a slight 20hp bump or so.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am also disappoint with the new GT, it's not a race car anymore.

Good luck to Maserati now they are going after the Mercedes/BMW/Porsche markets.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I almost shat when I heard Michael Schumacher say "better than Ferrari" when he test drove a Maserati CC (popular on YouTube). I don't think he'll be saying that about the new GT. They truly changed the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am also disappoint with the new GT, it's not a race car anymore.

Good luck to Maserati now they are going after the Mercedes/BMW/Porsche markets.
Funny, I though the old GT was a direct competitor of the 911 and 911s.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Porsche's are reliable daily driver - which is not what majority of the people think of the old GT.

The rear seats on the 911 are not usable.

911 Turbo is much faster

911 has Tiptronic, no F1-style gear box.

911 is a smaller car

Maybe the new GT is not meant to be competing with the Porsche either. :confused: :D

http://carbuying.autoblog.com/2007/...aserati-officially-launches-trident-discover/

"Maserati want to seduce a potential 7-Series or S-Class AMG buyers"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Porsche's are reliable daily driver - which is not what majority of the people think of the old GT.
I think a lot of people here would disagree with that. My 04 CC has been a daily for 3 years and has been rock solid.

-dsd

·
Registered
160 Posts
We all agree that Maserati have a real image problem. The Fiat bosses think by throwing away the CC gearbox they will fix it, and let's wait and see....

The engines on our Maserati are really reliable, but let down by bad electronics design. However, the German's are not much better in that department either, but at least they have a bigger dealers network and parts availability and can fix your problem faster.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
We all agree that Maserati have a real image problem. The Fiat bosses think by throwing away the CC gearbox they will fix it, and let's wait and see.....
from what i understand there is a DS option for the GT later in the model year.

·
Registered
528 Posts

The rear seats on the 911 are not usable.

911 Turbo is much faster

911 has Tiptronic, no F1-style gear box.

911 is a smaller car

Maybe the new GT is not meant to be competing with the Porsche either. :confused: :D

http://carbuying.autoblog.com/2007/...aserati-officially-launches-trident-discover/

"Maserati want to seduce a potential 7-Series or S-Class AMG buyers"

I was cross shopping the non turbo 911's with the base coupe, and thought they were very close.

The Maserati has more HP than either the base or Carrera S model

Both cars have 6 M/T transmissions ( the only REAL trans for a P car owner)

Rear seats are for emergency use only for me

Physically, the cars had the same feel of space on the inside. Not cramped, and not too big.

With the M/T, both cars are have daily driver reliability for my use. If anything, I think the Maserati engine would be more reliable than the Porsche.

It looks to me that Maserati is leaving Porsche to dominate the market if one is looking for a sub 100K sports car with a stick shift.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts