Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quaker State Q European Engine Motor Oil 5/40 oil is the only North American motor oil approved and recommended for service by Ferrari North America.
(Shell ownes Quaker State)

5/40 (SL,SJ,SH/CF,ACEA A3/B3-98,B4-02,) BMW LL-98,Daimler ChryslerMB 229.5, Volkswagen VW 502.00,VW 505.00. Ferrari of North America

It is an inexpensive synthetic and it is approved!!

DrEvil
2006 GranSport
2003 Ducati ST4s

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wonder if this will replace the Agip Synth 2000 that most dealers import from Italy (they don't buy the domestic as it is different).

-dsd

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dunno, but if you can get it in the US, go for (obviuosly full-synthetic oils)

Silkolene Pro S 5W-40

or

Motul 300V Power 5W-40

Fuchs (who now owns the Silkolene brand) has a rep in Texas

Trevor Kemp
Silkolene Division
901 S. Great Southwest Pkwy
Grand Prairie, TX 75051
Tel : 972-641-5600

Motul also has distribution in the US

Motul USA Inc
790c Indico Court
Pomona, CA 91767
Tel : 909-625-1292

Rather expensive stuff, but worth every penny if you want your engine to deliver max performance. That's one dep where I would not cut corners on a Maser.

Ed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May not be approved??

Those are very good oils, but may not be approved for North American Use.
If you use an oil that is not officially sold and approved in North America, and you have an engine failure, Maserati will refuse your warranty claim. Oil companies outside North America do not have to stand behind there products. Small internet importers do not have the power to help you fight with the car or oil company.

DrEvil
2006 GranSport
2003 DucatiST4s

·
Registered
390 Posts
What's wrong with good ol' Mobil 1? Some version of that goes in all my vehicles (well except my truck, which gets filled with whatever's cheap and on sale)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Those are very good oils, but may not be approved for North American Use.
If you use an oil that is not officially sold and approved in North America, and you have an engine failure, Maserati will refuse your warranty claim. Oil companies outside North America do not have to stand behind there products. Small internet importers do not have the power to help you fight with the car or oil company.
It takes a phone call to check... :rolleyes:

I'm now using Silkolene, substituting the Selenia synthetic, and I can tell you, there is a noticeable difference.

Those oils are top-notch, nothing you could buy off-shelf or at your petrol station comes near to them in quality, so worth a check to see if they are certified.

Heavy on the wallet, mind you, but they deliver. Would not believe engine failure could be triggered by using either the Silkolene or MOTUL.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not NA Approved

Those oils are good oils, but are not approved for North America. And if you think companies dont make bad batches of product from time to time? ASK THE DOG FOOD INDUSTRY!!!

DrEvil

BOW WOW!!!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
OK, OK...

Anyway, just though worthwhile posting.

·
Registered
278 Posts
topping up with different brand

Hi

question: just back from a long trip and needed to top-up engine oil. I had the papers at home so I did not know if my official service used AGIP or Shell Helix Ultra. Shell is easier to find along the road so I topped-up with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. Once home I digged up the bill to see the last change was done with Agip Tecsint. I added 1Litre of Shell. Should I do a full oil change now or can I drive like this until the next oil change in aboutl 6.000km ???? They have the same 5W40 grade and are both full synthetic.....

Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi

question: just back from a long trip and needed to top-up engine oil. I had the papers at home so I did not know if my official service used AGIP or Shell Helix Ultra. Shell is easier to find along the road so I topped-up with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. Once home I digged up the bill to see the last change was done with Agip Tecsint. I added 1Litre of Shell. Should I do a full oil change now or can I drive like this until the next oil change in aboutl 6.000km ???? They have the same 5W40 grade and are both full synthetic.....

Thanks
Even if the same grade, oil from different manufacturers are made to different specs. Mixing is not the best thing to do, I'm afraid (sometimes you have no other choice, and better to top-up than to blow-up the engine). For peace of mind, however, I'll go for a full oil change ASAP.

Ed

·
Registered
742 Posts
Have you considered Amsoil?

I use Amsoil 5W - 40 European Fully Synthetic Oil. I did some research and there were some oil experts on this board. I am pretty sure it meets or exceeds all the required standards. Its an excellent independent true synthetic.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts