Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based on the following I can only conclude the new coupe will be slower than the current model. Even though I love the new coupes styling I will probably pull my deposit. Can't see paying $30,000 more for less performance.

weight / model / 0 to 60

4419 QP 5.6

4136 GT 5.2 (my estimate)

3769 GS 4.9

Five additional HP will not offset a 367lb increase in weight. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
29 Posts
RDK said:
Based on the following I can only conclude the new coupe will be slower than the current model. Even though I love the new coupes styling I will probably pull my deposit. Can't see paying $30,000 more for less performance.

weight / model / 0 to 60

4419 QP 5.6

4136 GT 5.2 (my estimate)

3769 GS 4.9

Five additional HP will not offset a 367lb increase in weight. Am I missing something?

Also need to factor in engine torque as well as transmission and rear end gearing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
without the paddles shift, it will be even slower...

spoke with my dealer here... there wont be a F1 option for the Coupe for now... maybe they will whack it into the future GS version...

sigh...

·
Registered
333 Posts
What I see on the new car is that although having a decent performance it does not seem to be aimed at a performance minded market.

On the design, while it sure has the looks to appeal to both the young and the more mature crowd, Maserati seem to have focused on the comfort making it more suitable to the mature group... those that complained about the QP's "jerky shifts" while on sport mode making the new one automatic... although if you take a closer look at the available pictures... I think I see paddles there...

On the engine, rumors say that an upgraded version (GranSport???) with the 4.7 litre Alfa Romeo engine will follow which most likely it'll have three pedals making happy the younger market and those of us that although already bald
do like the "jerky shifting"

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think you are precisely correct... with an auto gearbox, the market will now be targeted at those who can afford a luxury GT but want that extra something in exclusivity...

but I do think there is a price to pay for mass market appeal (look at the Porsches 996/997)...

the price will be substantially higher here in HK... definitely hitting the QP range...

·
Registered
56 Posts
but I do think there is a price to pay for mass market appeal (look at the Porsches 996/997)...
What does that mean?

A Porsche Carrera S (997) is hardly mass market. As for performance, it's incredibly hard to beat. Certainly superior to the Maserati Coupe or Gransport and most likely the Gran Tourismo.

·
Registered
279 Posts
From a luxury car market perspective, the 997 S is a success - it sold in volume across the whole spectrum of buyers.

Hong Kong is a weird place - a pretty good barometer for Asian flavours on exotic cars - but when you see 997 everywhere, it's not an encouraging sight for exclusivity.

I went to the dealership here last night - too late in the night to test drive the QP automatic so I sat around and chatted for a bit. The sale guy was saying that Maserati did ome market study and realised the paddles (even though the majority of us love it) are hindering their sales. Therefore off goes the paddles and in comes the auto tranny. They want to capture those who doesnt like paddles but want the Trident badge.

So how this reminds me of something that happened during the 90s.

I walked out contemplating what I should be getting next.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
indeed, hk is a weird market. most 996's are sold with tiptronic. and the GS is priced lower than the 911.....

as for the picture with the paddles, even the QP Automatica can be ordered with paddles, or std on the QP Sport AT. it should seem 'standard' as many of the MB or BMW or lexus autoboxes come with paddles anyways.

i do think they should boost the performance of the GT. however, it seems they are targeting some luxury buyers who does not want a CL or M6. it seems the GT's competitors are CL, or even more upmarket's continental gt, db9.

my other post questioned about ferrari's influence. IF maserati made the GT really good, who's going to pay double for the 612?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry... when I said paddles, I meant the F1 gearbox... bad lingo...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Sounds to me like the value of our existing Coupe CC's and GS's just went up!!! :) :) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts