Maserati Forum banner

New Coupe... LINK TO OFFICIAL LAUNCH

4K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  demoe 
#1 ·
#2 ·
New Coupe

Excellent.

I hadn't expected anything as good as this - beautiful without being too exhibitionist.

Interesting about the auto gearbox. I think they made the right choice from a marketing point of view. Same as the Porsche 928 (on which the manual alternative was awful).

Maserati dealers will be delighted, and rightly so!

#3 ·
I guess it has to grow on you.... Had the same feeling about the new Jaguar. Maybe it's just new and I haven't had time to appreciate it. I never got over the BMW style change and still believe it's one of the ugliest boxes on the road.

#6 ·
TIME to sell your grandmother!

I must get one- sooooon! Looks gorgeous albeit a bit Germanic. Need F1 cambio and MORE POWER.
Black with tan/white interior.

or Grigio Nuvolari with Bordeaux interior.

must have NIT module and a proper sunroof i.e. Fully LOADED!!!

BABEMAGNET OR WHAT!?

#8 ·
thanks for the link.

may be my expectations were too high for a more retro look with a more pronouced / curvacious fender buldges. the front grille is good looking.
the headlight reminds me of the S2000 unfortunately.
the side profile is very nice.
the rear reminds me of the 8 series bmw, which is not bad.
the wheels are trying too hard to be the birdcage concept.
the interior is nice and clean. the seats look angular like past maseratis.

and as always, the artists conceptual sketches look better.

all in all, it is quite good looking. need to see the real car in person.

#11 ·
Not sure how I feel about it...

guess I'll have to wait for more photos from Geneva and/or seeing it person at the dealership. Cars have often looked one way in photos and totally different in person (I think due to the lack of perspective/scale in most photos).

The front of the car is the biggest problem for me. Headlights and hood are too reminiscent of a larger version of a Honda S2000. Side profile is beautiful, similar to modern Ferraris. However, don't like the angled-off wheel arches. Think I'd have liked the car more with rounded arches and headlights. Rear 3/4 and rear view is kinda DB9ish, which of course is never a bad thing.

I hope with time it'll grow on me.

#12 ·
Ditto

I have to agree with F. Yu. The beveled wheel arches were an unexpected and unwelcomed surprise, and I also drew immediate comparisons b/w the front of this car and the S2000. I like the roofline as well as the curvature of the car in profile. I also like what they've done with the back end. I'm curious to see the car in person to see how the whole package comes together. I wonder if the similarity in performance b/w this generation and the last will negatively affect its appeal.

#13 ·
HP on new coupe

I too am perplexed by the almost negligeable raise in horsepower for the new car. While 0-60 times never reveal everything about how a car performs, they are a guage for us non-engineers to determine how a model has improved in one category over a previous iteration. 0-60 in 4.9 secs was nothing to sneeze at for the previous model, but unless they adjusted the torque curve (hopefully) one would expect the 0-60 to be pretty close to this number for the new car given an addition of 5-10 HP.

While this allows the company somewhere to go in terms of performance with the next "hopped up" model, an improvement of only 0.1 to 0.2 secs isn't that impressive, especially given the 4-5 years they've had to improve HP output.

Visually, I think the new coupe is a knockout. The press and driving it will determine just how far Maserati has gone with it. Just my .02

#15 · (Edited)
Look at the steering wheel base again, look like paddles there. Looks like an auto-tran/F1 paddle shift, like the Porsche tiptronic or even the M5 hook up w/Auto stick in the middle but paddles also. Auto if you want, sport selector when you wanna use the paddles.

The exterior kinda reminds me of the F-Car 599 Fiorano. Look at it again, very beautiful. I wish they had put 500 hp in it though. Who knows, they have some time till production model. I guess it's wishful thinking to hope for an F430 motor???

#17 ·
Regarding Mas GranTurismo front lsimilar to Honda S2000: I just don't see it.
(Maserati pics posted by Iwan)

Regarding Mas GT rear having Ian Callum's influences i.e. Aston Martin: I agree, although his designs are moving on - witness the Jaguar CX-F

Regarding the Mas GT wheel arches beveled as like the BMW Z4: Fan of Bangle or not, one is going to have to deal with his design philosophy for some (car) generations to come. He is the Harley Earl of the early 21st century.

Attachments

#18 ·
the headlights do resemble each other with that colored lens at the edge.

as far as i m concerned, maserati still got its hands tied by ferrari.
if pininfarina made the GT sexier and maserati made the engine more powerful, who would buy a 612 for double the money?

unfortunately making it at 405hp is more than disappointing. many small sedans get 400hp+ now in-house (IS-F, M3, RS4, Cxx AMG).

#20 ·
Been lurking for a while but this is my first post here. No Mazer yet but been considering one as a daily driver. I also have an F if that counts.

I have to say that I like the new coupe. I really like the QP so maybe that isn't too big of a surprise. I agree that I kind of have to see one in person, photo's often mislead.

My real concerns are: CC transmission, Spyder, and will it be too large & heavy. Yes, I love convertibles so a Spyder is kind of a must. Size matters, I like cars light and nimble so too much weight is a looser.

I don't get too caught up in HP because given a great torque profile the lower HP can be more fun to drive. Look at the 245hp M motor and the new 333hp motor. I can tell you in my M-Roadster the older motor is more fun to drive.

For my money this looks promising. Love the wheels too.

#21 ·
if you have to compare it to something..

I love the New Coupe!

I think the rear portion looks a remotely like the new Lexus i350.

the one thing I think the Italians have on the competition is that they make vehicles which do not resemble anything else and are distinctive and unique.

I saw a BMW 6 series and they look like Hondas, ...even the paint quality is no longer unique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.