Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some pestering on Instagram, I have managed to get ceika interested in producing a coilover kit for our car that doesn’t cost $5000.... they sent me a msg asking for the measurements and pictures of the front and rear suspension components and pictures of the top plates so that they can look at the design and go from there. They seem genuinely interested in making this happen and I’d love to be able to spend like $1500 on a new performance suspension. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any one has specs and pictures they'd be willing to share with me to help make this happen.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you put them in contact with me, I've got a full spare set of suspension. I can make full CAD models of them or organise a set of spare shocks to be sent to them etc.

·
Registered
4200 GT
60 Posts
I thought you meant wishbones. Now that'd be something...
Just cheap suspenders - Ive seen my share of built to a budget telescopes from known manufacturers over the years- Sachs, KYB, even aftermarket "upgrades" from the likes of Matris and such. They are poor, at best, and often fatally flawed design. Maybe if I had a cheap run around, on it's last legs I needed a cheap fix. But not on a Maserati - sorry !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I won't dispute that KW's or FormulaDynamics will likely still be better on a track. Calling something fatally flawed that will provide relatively the same level of enjoyment and longevity is a bit of a stretch. I had Chinese crap coilovers on my e36 m3 and it still handled like a dream, without any issue. Not everyone on here has as much money as you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought you meant wishbones. Now that'd be something...
Just cheap suspenders - Ive seen my share of built to a budget telescopes from known manufacturers over the years- Sachs, KYB, even aftermarket "upgrades" from the likes of Matris and such. They are poor, at best, and often fatally flawed design. Maybe if I had a cheap run around, on it's last legs I needed a cheap fix. But not on a Maserati - sorry !
The 4200 suspension is basically fatally flawed anyways. Besides these aren't $90k cars anymore, cheaper part alternatives are needed or else these things end up neglected with parts exceeding value

·
Registered
4200 GT
60 Posts
Ok..not fatally as in it'll kill you.
While I won't dispute that KW's or FormulaDynamics will likely still be better on a track. Calling something fatally flawed that will provide relatively the same level of enjoyment and longevity is a bit of a stretch. I had Chinese crap coilovers on my e36 m3 and it still handled like a dream, without any issue. Not everyone on here has as much money as you.
Ok ok ok...you win. Not fatally as in it'll kill you. But fundamentally flawed in its execution...
Ive seen Sachs rear telescopes for the Aprilias produced with the valves apparently upside down...Turn them over and a shim stack adjustment- voila.
I ve got Sachs forks ( claimed fully adjustable) in my NudaR with a relief check valve in front of the shim stack...so it never uses the shim stack. Oil simply bleeds through the valve like the most primitive and basic orifice damping forks of old... It's damped..what more do you want ? Fair enough...
But its built to a budget and the overall result is, well, shite. Absolute amateur hour...They should know better....! My Matris cartidge kit is so badly adjusted as per their set-up sheet, the bike loses 2" ground clearance...I mean; WTAF!?
BTW- FD suspenders are just KWs with a paint job...

·
Registered
4200 GT
60 Posts
The 4200 suspension is basically fatally flawed anyways. Besides these aren't $90k cars anymore, cheaper part alternatives are needed or else these things end up neglected with parts exceeding value
It isnt fatally flawed apparently. I think my language is too graphic for some people....A literal interpretation wasnt what I intended, although poor motorcycle set up is inherently way more dangerous, and potentially fatal. So, I agree to disagree ..whatever.
The Skyhook systems wont kill you. Im certain of that. But Skyhook is a mystery all of its own...I dont like it. I cant tell what its doing at any given time...but it wont, I concede, kill you....
Its a shame. The underlying anatomy of double wishbone suspension and fully adjustable geometry is prety damn good tbh. The blank canvas is nothing to scoff at... Good struts can have significant benfits...

·
Registered
29 Posts
It isnt fatally flawed apparently. I think my language is too graphic for some people....A literal interpretation wasnt what I intended, although poor motorcycle set up is inherently way more dangerous, and potentially fatal. So, I agree to disagree ..whatever.
The Skyhook systems wont kill you. Im certain of that. But Skyhook is a mystery all of its own...I dont like it. I cant tell what its doing at any given time...but it wont, I concede, kill you....
Its a shame. The underlying anatomy of double wishbone suspension and fully adjustable geometry is prety damn good tbh. The blank canvas is nothing to scoff at... Good struts can have significant benfits...
Oh I know I was being dramatic in the sense that we are desperate to turn this heavy gran touring lump into a lotus. It’s fatally flawed as a sports car of which it’s not of course
I don’t care for the skyhook either

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too believe the original suspension and indeed the whole handling setup for the Coupe/Gransport is disgraceful and not at all predictable. It would be great to have an appropriately priced alternative.

I have just received the FD springs which all the testimonials on here say really fix up the stock setup which I am very much looking forward to.

Ive also owned both the Gransport and the Coupe now, I absolutely despise the Gransport rims compared to the Coupe OEM. First of all, in my opinion, 19" rims on these cars is too large unless you are running a higher profile size tire than standard. Dont even get me started on how appallingly soft the rims are too.. completely inappropriate for anything other than perfect roads.

The 18" Rims on the Coupe straight away is much nicer to drive on in stock form.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Honestly, I prefer the GS skyhook suspension. The non-skyhook was too stiff, pretty much track only. Can't say I thought much of aftermarket setups though.

Absolutely, this car would've been better off with 18" rims. Kind of jealous of that guy who found a set of proper trofeo rims!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly, I prefer the GS skyhook suspension. The non-skyhook was too stiff, pretty much track only. Can't say I thought much of aftermarket setups though.

Absolutely, this car would've been better off with 18" rims. Kind of jealous of that guy who found a set of proper trofeo rims!
Lol I still haven't put those on yet. Been too busy with work

·
Registered
73 Posts

These ones? I’ve also lowered the stock skyhook suspension by an inch as the overall diameter is a bit smaller with the Trofeo rims/tyres...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does anyone have an update on this? I reached out to Cieka and they noted that they are waiting on dimensions from someone. Wondering if this is in the works, or if I should offer to take measurements for them.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yeah that's me. I travel a lot for work, I'm sending them details tomorrow night. I haven't been home long enough for about 2 months to unpack my spare set.

·
Registered
931 Posts
So this is in process. I've given all the details from the suspension to Ceika.

If someone could please be so kind to confirm whether or not the front or rear shock is the longer one? I had to take mine with me while working so I could measure them up but now I can't remember which is which!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts