Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 62'000 km (2002 coupé), I changed the used clutch. I was a lot disappointed by the new one. In sport mode, the clutch seems to slip-in a lot between 3000 and 7000 rpm. This behaviour was not predictable, but very at random. After several discussions with the mechanic, he explained me the new clutch have 2 disks not only 1 and these disks are not totaly interdependant, there is some elasticity. It is probably why there is this slip-in feeling. He tuned the clutch engagement to the shortest time then WAZAA !
The gear changes are more clear in standard mode, less smoth than before. And in sport mode, the changes are very fast but not brutal like with the old clutch and the first software. He think it is the best trade-off : the gear changes are very comfortable in standard mode if I release a bit the gas when I upshift, and in sport mode, the car behave like a SPORT CAR.

Today my car have 72'000 km, with the suspension lowered, the clutch tuned and a soundy tubi the car is PERFECT : a sporty and comfortable italian GT.

Little anecdote : last week I stopped in front of the Ferrari Garage to see a guy moving an Enzo into the showroom. Then this guy came out to discuss with me. That was the owner of the garage, with a mechanic suit and dirty hands ! He was very impressed by the sound of my car and layd under my car to see if I changed all the exhaust... I explained it is only a Tubi! This guy was very friendly, he was mechanic in F1 races when he was yound, he like so much his cars he cannot only sell them, that explained the suit !
By the way the owner of the Maserati Garage, one of his friend, was a prof. racing driver (24h du Mans...). I like to deal with passionate people !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lionel,

I just updated to the new clutch, along with the new Cambiocorsa software.

We also noted the slippage on 'launch', but not once the clutch is fully engaged. The launch now seems to combine engine torque management as well. Seems like they are limiting the amount of engine power to reduce clutch damage.

Auto mode is simply wonderful. My wife drives in that mode and says they fixed ALL of her complaints - no more rattling-marbles-in-a-tin-can sound on low-speed downshifts, no more extended or jerky upshifts. It's just like having a true automatic transmission. Very nice for her...

I'm equally happy with the improvements felt in Sport mode. Crisp shifts without banging into gear.

The only feature that's difficult to get used to: the throttle bump at launch. On ours, there's a 300-400 RPM boost just as you touch the pedal down. Nice feature at full take-off, but if you are doing low-speed maneuvers, the repeated Vroom, Vroom, Vroom is annoying.

Interestingly, I drove one of the new Quattroporte's 2 weeks ago - that pre-production car did not have the smoothness updates and desperately needed them.

Brad

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lionel,

Forgot to ask about your experience lowering your car.

To achieve a lower stance, did you simply thread the coil-over spring pad further down on the shock? Any handling changes for better or worse?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the tubi the auto mode is total pain : below 3000 rpm there is a lot of low frequencies and resonsance.

The car is lowered by tuning the suspension screws. Easy and cheap. The handling is far better and not too hard. The look of the car is enhanced too.

Globally with the new clutch, the tubi and lowering I have all the GranSport technical enhancements, without the cosmetic-ones I dont like !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lionel,

While I don't need a clutch yet, curiosity makes me ask how much was it? At a dealership?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lionel,

Thanks for the info. Did you have your car lowered? Who did you get to do this and did you get the car re-aligned afterwards?

Thanks,
Marc
'04 Cambiocorsa

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is lowered by 2", done by my dealer (screw + alignement tuning). The cost of the clutch : CHF 700 + 6 hours of services.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts