Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you guys think...

The clutch on the GranSport I am purchasing has approx. 64% life left. The dealer has offered to replace the clutch or take $3000 off the price tag. What would you do?

Cheers,

-Christopher

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you opt for the clutch, you are gaining 1/3 of a clutch. If you opt for the cash and put it in the "cookie jar" until a clutch is needed, you are gaining 1 1/3 clutches. It's a shame to waste 2/3 of a clutch in a car that has a short clutch life and expensive labor.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Fastfreddy. If I feel a tiny bit of shudder when accelerating from a dead stop, is this considered clutch slippage, or could I just not be giving it enough gas? In other words, is it the car or me? Keep in mind that I've only driven one of these (or any F1) 3 times, so I'm not even sure what clutch slippage feels like. All of my cars have been standard manuals.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very easy question buddy of course take the 3k because you don't need to replace the clutch now and with that 3k you can do it later when there is 5 percent on it so if you pay now you are replacing a clutch with a lot of life on it. Depending on how you drive clutches last a lot more than people say the stories you hear of replacing at 8k is extremely rare.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking the same thing, so really just wanted confirmation.

Cheers,

-Christopher

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can have both. Tell the dealer with gas prices, recession and things you've uncovered from these boards you need both the clutch done (cost to the dealer about 400) and the discount or you are out of there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can have both. Tell the dealer with gas prices, recession and things you've uncovered from these boards you need both the clutch done (cost to the dealer about 400) and the discount or you are out of there.
I might have done before, but I don't think that would have been very sporting at this point--we had already agreed on the deal, it was just a matter of waiting until today to get the diagnostic read-out. Personally speaking, I think it is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shudder is from a dying throwout bearing...

Tell them you want the 3k, then get the throwout fixed under warranty :]
Now you've got me all concerned again... How do I get them to take care of this when I've already told them I'll take the $3K, and we sign off on the paperwork on Saturday? :[ I'm probably too meek when it comes to this stuff, but the guy has been very cool so far, and I don't want to be a dick.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
No no no dude...

It is covered under warranty... You dont need to be an ass or anything.... Hell you can bring it up anytime when you want... as long as you still have warranty :]

They will get paid to do the work by Mas of North America, so they wont care.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No no no dude...

It is covered under warranty... You dont need to be an ass or anything.... Hell you can bring it up anytime when you want... as long as you still have warranty :]

They will get paid to do the work by Mas of North America, so they wont care.
So I could even have the work done after it is delivered down in Florida as long as I do so before the warranty runs out, right?

Would that be a better idea, or should I bring it up with the dealer before I buy it so that it's all sorted by the time I get it? Honestly, the shudder was very slight, and he didn't even notice it during the test drive (and I don't think he was BS-ing me either).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Maseratiboy,

Could the shudder not also be the hill stop feature? I thought I had read here that a hesitation and slight shudder was normal when starting in 1st.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maserati Boy, help me understand?

I have never driven an F1 but in all my years( I am 50) of owning manual's the throwout bearing is a WEAR item;just like wearing a clutch if you are heavy footed or do not know how to extend the life of a clutch; so why would they cover it under the warranty; anyone agree with that or is it just something Maserati feels should last very long? Dogdoc:confused:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I signed off on the '05 GranSport in grigio alfieri. I decided to opt for the $3k instead of the clutch replacement. I figure that I'll probably burn off a bit of it just learning how to drive her properly. Anyway, I am quite excited to say the least! The wife and I got to take her for another spin before we signed all of the papers. Wooohoooo! That is one fun car! Anyway... thanks for all the input, guys! Be sure to let me know about any get-togethers or Italian car gatherings in Florida.

Cheers,

-Christopher

·
Registered
339 Posts
So, I signed off on the '05 GranSport in grigio alfieri. I decided to opt for the $3k instead of the clutch replacement. I figure that I'll probably burn off a bit of it just learning how to drive her properly. Anyway, I am quite excited to say the least! The wife and I got to take her for another spin before we signed all of the papers. Wooohoooo! That is one fun car! Anyway... thanks for all the input, guys! Be sure to let me know about any get-togethers or Italian car gatherings in Florida.

Cheers,

-Christopher

Drive the car with the mechanic in the passenger seat plugged in with the laptop. The "shuddering" you're feeling is most likely the settings on the clutch engagement. The whole F1 system can be fine tuned to your liking. If you drive more aggressive, you can have it set very aggressive with almost no slipping on engagement. If you want a smooth and comfortable ride, you can have it set to offer more slip on engagement and will wear out a little faster. I had mine set so aggressively that if I didn't give it more than 1/2 throttle on acceleration, it would actually stall out.

The "64%" number means that you are close to being shot. You would think that the scale would be based on 100%, with 100% being new and 0% meaning there's nothing left. Wrong. 100% is new, 50% is nothing left and neds replacing. So on a scale of 0-100, your clutch has 28% remaining.

The clutch also does not show any warning signs before going. Clutch #2 on me just started slipping and blowing a ton of smoke when I floored it to pass a car. No slipping or hesitation up until that moment, I pulled over, the car would no longer engage a gear. Clutch #3, I was driving in 5th gear down a long straight road, warning lights came on, car shut off, I coasted to a stop. Car would restart, but shut off immediately when put into 1st gear. It's not like a manual clutch where you can start to feel it going, it's computer controlled with specific tolerances. When those tolerances are reached, the computer shuts the system down.

You're better off taking the $3k credit and driving it until the clutch goes. Some people get 10k miles out of it, some 25k. (the most I heard of was 28k). I had 22k on my first, 40 on my second, 57 on my third. Alot of it depends on your driving style (the more aggressive the better for the lifespan), your settings on clutch engagement (the more aggressive, the better. ask for the European settings as they were a huge improvement for me), and how ofter you engage 1st gear and reverse (reverse is never fully engages) compared to how much highway driving you're doing.

good luck with the car!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have never driven an F1 but in all my years( I am 50) of owning manual's the throwout bearing is a WEAR item;just like wearing a clutch if you are heavy footed or do not know how to extend the life of a clutch; so why would they cover it under the warranty; anyone agree with that or is it just something Maserati feels should last very long? Dogdoc:confused:
Being "heavy footed" with the F1 is actually the way to extend wear. Throttle position determines how the ECU controls the clutch engagement. If you're just driving around with the RPM's around 3k and you shift into the next gear, it interprets that you are driving slow and want a smooth clutch engagement. The clutch is slipped slightly, giving you more wear than if you had the RPM's at 5500 and the pedal to the floor. This was the ECU would interpret aggressive driving and would engage the clutch as fast as possible, causing less slippage and less wear. Also, driving in "sport" mode has a similar effect.

For maximum clutch life, shift above 4k RPMs, drive in Sport mode and when shifting, give it full throttle (even if only momentarily while you're shifting). Use reverse as little as possible and when engaging in first, give it a full throttle, don't slowlly ease into it. Oh yea, and NEVER drive it in Auto mode.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Maseratiboy,

Could the shudder not also be the hill stop feature? I thought I had read here that a hesitation and slight shudder was normal when starting in 1st.
Nope. Hilstop is more of a "no movement until you press the gas" effect for a few seconds...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah, I dont really know... but they cover it under warranty! Crazy italians!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Being "heavy footed" with the F1 is actually the way to extend wear. Throttle position determines how the ECU controls the clutch engagement. If you're just driving around with the RPM's around 3k and you shift into the next gear, it interprets that you are driving slow and want a smooth clutch engagement. The clutch is slipped slightly, giving you more wear than if you had the RPM's at 5500 and the pedal to the floor. This was the ECU would interpret aggressive driving and would engage the clutch as fast as possible, causing less slippage and less wear. Also, driving in "sport" mode has a similar effect.

For maximum clutch life, shift above 4k RPMs, drive in Sport mode and when shifting, give it full throttle (even if only momentarily while you're shifting). Use reverse as little as possible and when engaging in first, give it a full throttle, don't slowlly ease into it. Oh yea, and NEVER drive it in Auto mode.

That's interesting - I've been wondering about the best way to extend clutch life. I know two people, both with 02s (one coupe, one spyder), but with very different driving styles. One more or less follows your recommendation - drives always in sport mode, fairly aggressive, doesn't lift off the gas when shifting... and in 25K miles, is about to burn through his second clutch. The other never drives in sport mode, not terribly aggressive (i.e. 2-3K RPM shift), and lifts off the gas slightly when shifting. That clutch is at 28K and counting, never been replaced.

Owner #2 credits lifting off the gas at the shift for the life of the clutch (this is contrary to the owner's manual, of course, that says not to lift when shifting).

I have no idea. Haven't owned the car long enough to have developed an opinion, and my engineering knowledge is too limited to understand exactly how the F1 system works (this is also my first F1).

I have already figured out that Auto mode sucks, clutch wear or no clutch wear.

Interesting that reverse causes extra wear. What about taking off from a standing stop in second (as the owner's manual suggests you can)?

EDIT: I moved this comment to its own thread, as it is kind of off point for this thread, but I'm really interested in the question

1 - 20 of 20 Posts