Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

i just wanted to share my experience with my new clutch...

two weeks ago i started to feel my car getting Really Really Really slow. and last week, it got almost impossible to drive.

the clutch was slipping, and it took for ever to take of the line. am not jocking guys, a segway could smoke me of the line

i called the dealer to see what it would cost to replace the clutch and they said $3200. i then asked what the past cost and he said about $1000.

so i got the parts and took it to my mechanic. when i got to the Maserati part department i asked if i needed any other part than just the clutch. the cool attendant mention that i need to change the thrust baring and he also mention it would be a good idea to change the F1 sensor and magnet.

i also asked about the transmission oil, and he said to use 75-90 synthetic oil. so i got a box of red line, i also got a new F1 pump relay and went to my mechanic...

oh, when i asked for my total the dealer said it was close to 1600 for everything. i then asked if i could get a discount...the cool attendant mention that if my mechanic faxed his reseller permit i could get 20% off.

this sounded great, so i called my shop and after discount and tax i saved almost $500.:D :D :D

it took them 2 days to finish the work (way faster than the 2 weeks + the dealer said it would take) and after driving it for half a day... i can say i have a NEW CAR!!!!

the car literally jumps of the line. my mechanic asked me to not change after 4000RPM until the clutch breaks in and that i should not launch like a mad man for some time, but other than me having to wait for a week or so to really go crazy.

my car is running great, plus the best thing is after parts and labor am down $2000.;)

-willie

p.s. i did give them the Maserati repair manual that i had, but they said they didn't need to use it. that the car was really easy to work on and they had no problems. they did mention that they have had a harder time changing some BMW parts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Guys,

i just wanted to share my experience with my new clutch...

two weeks ago i started to feel my car getting Really Really Really slow. and last week, it got almost impossible to drive.

the clutch was slipping, and it took for ever to take of the line. am not jocking guys, a segway could smoke me of the line

i called the dealer to see what it would cost to replace the clutch and they said $3200. i then asked what the past cost and he said about $1000.

so i got the parts and took it to my mechanic. when i got to the Maserati part department i asked if i needed any other part than just the clutch. the cool attendant mention that i need to change the thrust baring and he also mention it would be a good idea to change the F1 sensor and magnet.

i also asked about the transmission oil, and he said to use 75-90 synthetic oil. so i got a box of red line, i also got a new F1 pump relay and went to my mechanic...

oh, when i asked for my total the dealer said it was close to 1600 for everything. i then asked if i could get a discount...the cool attendant mention that if my mechanic faxed his reseller permit i could get 20% off.

this sounded great, so i called my shop and after discount and tax i saved almost $500.:D :D :D

it took them 2 days to finish the work (way faster than the 2 weeks + the dealer said it would take) and after driving it for half a day... i can say i have a NEW CAR!!!!

the car literally jumps of the line. my mechanic asked me to not change after 4000RPM until the clutch breaks in and that i should not launch like a mad man for some time, but other than me having to wait for a week or so to really go crazy.

my car is running great, plus the best thing is after parts and labor am down $2000.;)

-willie

p.s. i did give them the Maserati repair manual that i had, but they said they didn't need to use it. that the car was really easy to work on and they had no problems. they did mention that they have had a harder time changing some BMW parts.
how many miles did you get on your original clutch?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
28,000 am a bit of a aggressive driver :D :D :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Willie

so did your shop charge you $1000 in labor? could you breakdown the exact costs?

thanks. If i can get a clutch done for $2200, then I might go ahead and spin doughnuts each time the kids on the corner ask me to

·
Registered
37 Posts
Who is your mechanic?

Willie,

I'm in L.A. also and would like to file your mechanic's info for the eventual. Thanks. M

·
Registered
339 Posts
software set-up?

How did your shop set-up the parameters for the new clutch? I just had another new one put in (48,000) and they suggested coming back every 5k to have it readjusted as the Maser system doesn't readjust as well as the Ferrari systems do and tend to get out of whack and burn out prematurely.

I've had the tech sit next to me in the car while driving while he adjusted the clutch parameters to feel exactly the way I wanted it to engage (I've been told I drive a little more aggressively than others). The dealer told me the software was only released to dealers and the system wouldn't operate properly unless the settings in the car were set through the computer and updated with the new clutch.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willie

so did your shop charge you $1000 in labor? could you breakdown the exact costs?

thanks. If i can get a clutch done for $2200, then I might go ahead and spin doughnuts each time the kids on the corner ask me to
my bill from my mechanic was $825, and i got the parts from the Maserati dealer.

he changed the clutch, F1 sensor, F1 relay, trust bearing, and transmission oil change.

-willie

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willie,

I'm in L.A. also and would like to file your mechanic's info for the eventual. Thanks. M
the Place is called :

Pasific Tire Motorsports
2419 Artesia Blvd
Redondo Beach, CA 90278

(310) 379-7255

talk to Armando, he is the owner. tell him i sent you and that you want a good deal. he is great, very honest, quick, and knows his stuff.

-willie

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did your shop set-up the parameters for the new clutch? I just had another new one put in (48,000) and they suggested coming back every 5k to have it readjusted as the Maser system doesn't readjust as well as the Ferrari systems do and tend to get out of whack and burn out prematurely.

I've had the tech sit next to me in the car while driving while he adjusted the clutch parameters to feel exactly the way I wanted it to engage (I've been told I drive a little more aggressively than others). The dealer told me the software was only released to dealers and the system wouldn't operate properly unless the settings in the car were set through the computer and updated with the new clutch.
he send the car to to a Ferrari shop that is on 190th in redondo beach, they are well respected and do many restorations for Monterrey and other privet clients.

you may ask, why not just take it there...well they chard 3500+ for just the clutch:)

-willie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts