Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very seriously considering buying an '02 Spyder CC this month. I have located a black '02 w/15k miles for $50k. The car is in another state, and I'm not sure how to get the clutch/F1 pump objectively evaluated, etc. The combination of year, money and color seems about right. The car will be my daily driver and will replace my black '05 BMW Z4 steptronic. I drive 50 miles a day in the Washington DC traffic--my previous 911 w/stick drove me crazy in the stop-and-go traffic here. My wife will drive the CC as well and can't drive stick. The other option I'm considering is a red '98 Ferrari 355F1 for $85k, but I'm concerned about the daily driving and much higher maintenance costs. While I love my Z4 I'm looking for something more exotic as a daily driver. Also I don't believe the older Astin Martins (which I'm also considering) come in automatics. I've had Porsches and Merz's which just haven't done it for me. As a newby here I'm looking for comments/suggestions before making this move.

Thanks!
-Preston

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
hello and welcome,
not to discourage you, but 'wife' and 'traffic' and 'maserati' doesnt really go well together.
you can do a search in the forum.
i think aston matin db7 does come with AT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_DB7 but they drive very differently.
i would spend a little more money go for something newer with warranty, not an 02.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dear Friend,

I too endorse the comments made by, "M." These cars are happiest on uncongested roads where high speeds can be enjoyed. I live in South Florida, in an area prone to accidents on the interstate. It is murder having a CambioCorsa that constantly cycles from neutral to first and back again as traffic creeps forward. It operates just fine, but you, "Feel," that the car isn't happy.

If I didn't have opportunities to blast down the interstate, I probably would not have this car for exclusively in-city driving.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck!

Frankie P

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May the AM DB7 w/AT be a better bet for my wife and I considering my need for city commute driving, etc.? Any other suggestions?

-Preston

·
Registered
196 Posts
prestonrich said:
I am very seriously considering buying an '02 Spyder ... I drive 50 miles a day in the Washington DC traffic... My wife will drive the CC as well and can't drive stick.
Teach her to drive a stick. European lasses can. Then buy a manual stick shift Spyder.

The other option I'm considering is a red '98 Ferrari 355F1 for $85k,
Well if you get the maser with the leftover change you can buy a nice Lexus for wifey dear.

but I'm concerned about the daily driving and much higher maintenance costs.
As you should be. Traffic jams, clumsy wives and CC don't work ;)

Also I don't believe the older Astin Martins (which I'm also considering) come in automatics.
I think they do. If you need to share with wifey "old" does not work so well as cars are concerned. I know, I have one too. A wifey that is, not an AM. Why don't you consider a recent Jag XK8, the outgoing model is still a neat car, that can be had on the cheap and still attracts oohs and aahs. You can buy her one as a token of undying affection, and then sneak in your black Maser through the back door for less than the F355.
The new XK looks neat, has a great interior, drives like a bat out of hell, and is half the price of an Aston. You can flap the paddles and wifey can let the auto tranny do the job.
Some people like the Bangled Beemer too :-(

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
new xk interior looks as neat as a 80's american rental car's interior.
the exterior is nothing british nor jaguar.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Agree with above.
I British car mag, I foget which one, did a head-to-head comparo of the DB7 to the previous generation XK8....and awarded the title to the Jag...stated it was a better driving GT car...better handling and with a more complete roster of amenities.
For heavy traffic around DC I would not get an '02 spyder. The CC wasn't as well developed and there is a lot of cowl shake in that car.

What are you willing to realistically spend?
More info would be helpful to give you better advice.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i was going to suggest an used bentley red label... kind of 'grand' to get stuck in traffic in a bentley. haha. new ones are $200k??? used ones are $80k?

but i guess it's not a convertible.

·
Registered
773 Posts
to or not to buy

that is the ---- well you now know the rest. i own an o2cc spyder. transmission is different, not a smooth happy operator under your stated conditions, i am sure that is now clear. my car has 17000 miles, and has been more than unreasonable $$ to maintain

·
Registered
133 Posts
M! said:
new xk interior looks as neat as a 80's american rental car's interior.
the exterior is nothing british nor jaguar.
Whoa! That seems to be your opinion M!, and it is fine if it is. But the new Jag XK is a great vehicle - greatly improved over the outgoing model. Comparing the new Jag to 80's american rental car interior is borderline unqualified. The exterior was done by Ian Callum, the same who did the AM cars of recent. I dunno dude - those are serious credentials and seeing the car on the road it leaves an impression. Interior is well done - far better than any car of the big three in the US as of today. Usually I tend to agree with you, but this time no way!

As to Cambio in heavy city traffic: It can handle it, but I feel the same being stuck in traffic in Southwest Florida and South Florida from time to time, it is not a happy camper. On the open road - very different!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
QPIE003 said:
Whoa! That seems to be your opinion M!, and it is fine if it is. But the new Jag XK is a great vehicle - greatly improved over the outgoing model. Comparing the new Jag to 80's american rental car interior is borderline unqualified. The exterior was done by Ian Callum, the same who did the AM cars of recent. I dunno dude - those are serious credentials and seeing the car on the road it leaves an impression. Interior is well done - far better than any car of the big three in the US as of today. Usually I tend to agree with you, but this time no way!

As to Cambio in heavy city traffic: It can handle it, but I feel the same being stuck in traffic in Southwest Florida and South Florida from time to time, it is not a happy camper. On the open road - very different!
i usually agree with you and this time too.
it's interior is better than any car of the big three in the US as of today.
woohoo.

jaguar's competitors are now the big three?

god save the queen!

·
Registered
773 Posts
maserati/bently?

to very different auto, right! for very different people. the latter lets the driver see over small car crowd. buddy here has one for sale, 02 i think. 75 will buy same. not a maserati. if owner is using looks to count clicks, maserati will win at starbucks. not sure at church.

·
Registered
133 Posts
M! said:
i usually agree with you and this time too.
it's interior is better than any car of the big three in the US as of today.
woohoo.

jaguar's competitors are now the big three?

god save the queen!
That would be the days Cadillac would wish for - to directly compete with Jags. However, you compared its interior with "80's US rental cars". Just tried to make a point, which you seem to agree with. No harm to the Queen - she is save (for now).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the design of the interior is 80's american rental car. does it even look anything like a jaguar??? the finish is way behind its german competitors (6er, CLS, 997) and most definitely maserati. i have sat in a few different colors of new XK and their finishes are plasticky. non of the grand british motoring feel.

you talk about the serious credentials of Ian Callum. yes, i love his DB9 and V8 vantage, but that's about his peak.

the XK is like a fat ugly sister that you do not want to date. you wonder if they are from the same parent. look closely, she's not even in the family. she got bastardized with a Range Rover side grill, and boldly in silver in the XKR. okay, the only good angle of her is at her butt. very e-type-ish but really, they are totally different proportions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
prestonrich said:
I am very seriously considering buying an '02 Spyder CC this month. I have located a black '02 w/15k miles for $50k. The car is in another state, and I'm not sure how to get the clutch/F1 pump objectively evaluated, etc. The combination of year, money and color seems about right. The car will be my daily driver and will replace my black '05 BMW Z4 steptronic. I drive 50 miles a day in the Washington DC traffic--my previous 911 w/stick drove me crazy in the stop-and-go traffic here. My wife will drive the CC as well and can't drive stick. The other option I'm considering is a red '98 Ferrari 355F1 for $85k, but I'm concerned about the daily driving and much higher maintenance costs. While I love my Z4 I'm looking for something more exotic as a daily driver. Also I don't believe the older Astin Martins (which I'm also considering) come in automatics. I've had Porsches and Merz's which just haven't done it for me. As a newby here I'm looking for comments/suggestions before making this move.

Thanks!
-Preston
You can get the clutch evaluated at a Maserati dealer if there is one near where the car is located. I have to agree with the others on the board, though, if you do 50 miles of stop-and-go traffic, you will probably not enjoy the cambriocorsa. It doesn't really like 1st gear, and that N-1-2 shifting will wear on the clutch. The same would apply for a F355, but replacing the clutch and/or pump will run you even more $$.

If Porsche and Mercedes are out (wouldn't consider a CL55 AMG? they depreciate quite a bit too) and you are looking for something your wife can drive as well, I would definitely consider AM DB7 as most of them did come with automatics. In your price range, that would be a '97ish model. However, some caveats:

1) They are almost all convertibles
2) They have no rear seat to speak of
3) They are the V6 supercharged models, not V12

Also, like someone else suggested, I would include the previous generation of Jaguar XK on your short list. You can get a pretty late model ('04-05) convertible or coupe at your budget range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would a later model Spyder cc, maybe the '04 w/warrantee remaining, be a better choice city traffic? My understanding is the trans shifts better in auto and paddle. Traffic here (DC) is not stop and go all the time but maybe 30%.
Don't want a Jag but am also looking at a '00 AM DB7 Vantage Volante V12 w/auto for $80k ish--beautiful car, but won't draw the attantion the Maser will ;-)

Thanks,
-Preston

1 - 17 of 17 Posts