Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 Coupe was running great - no problems at all - when I parked it in the garage a couple of weeks ago. Went out yesterday and she wouldn't even turn over. The voltage was reading a bit lower than normal, so I assumed I had run into "didn't drive it enough" flaw and had a dead battery. I read up on the posts here and got a new battery. Installed just fine, but it still won't turn over and the voltage is reading even lower than before. Ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Couple of things...

Does the starter click when you hit the key or is it completely dead?

Secondly, just because you bought a new battery doesn't mean that the new battery isn't dead as well...

I would go down to checker and get a battery tester and a trickle charger and charge the old battery if you still have it.. Charge it all night long, then test it with the 12v battery load tester.. If it checks okay, take the new battery back and get your money back...

Otherwise if you only have the new batter, then take it back out of the car, put it on the shop bench or on a piece of plywood on the floor, don't put it on the bare concrete unless you want a really dead batter, then charge it over night, test it, and if it's good, install and drive....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No starter click

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no starter click. I still get the F1 pump whine and all the other electronics when I go to try and start.

I will give the overnight charge a try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was told that if you have a dead battery for a while, you have to reset the computer even you put on a new one, don't know if this has to be done by the dealer but it must be mentioned in the owner's manual. Besides, I was also suggested to get a new battery for every two years as to avoid these trouble.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was told that if you have a dead battery for a while, you have to reset the computer even you put on a new one
Not necessary - switch off at battery then replace it and switch back on, worked fine for me.

Have you checked fuses?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If the F1 pump is working....

And the starter is not even clicking, I am beginning to lean towards a fuse, etc... Please make sure the battery has a full charge first, try it, then it that isn't it, look for the starter fuse..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Glenn...

Thanks, forgot about the safety start switch.... That would keep the car from doing anything even if the battery is full...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can't shift into neutral

does this lend any more clues?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
F1 pump active when opening door

So I get the usual F1 pump whine when I open the door. I thought that was a good indication that it was still active. Tested the battery on the charger and it reads good. Guess I need to hunt for a blown fuse?

·
Registered
824 Posts
So I get the usual F1 pump whine when I open the door. I thought that was a good indication that it was still active. Tested the battery on the charger and it reads good. Guess I need to hunt for a blown fuse?
Perhaps the transmission control unit has forgotten the shifter centering settings?

I don't see how the hydraulic fluid could leak out from a flat battery.....

(the fix for this would be a trip do the dealer on a flatbed, though I bet you can't roll it! followed by a relearning of the shifting pattern etc.)

This does sound pretty weird though. I mean, the car has a battery cutoff switch so you would think (other than the caution about having the windows cracked down) that the car is ok to leave without power for a bit.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
take the parking brake off...

push the car back and forth a few times... rock it.. then get back in... foot on the brake, key on, try shifting to neutral.. if it goes then start it. stuck safety switch..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Solved

Talked to the service manager at FM Silicon Valley and he told me to press on the brake pedal as hard as hard as I possibly could. After a couple of tries all is well again. :) Must have been the safety switch? Thanks for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts