Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the battery in my 2003 Spyder Cambrio. I have read some other posts recommending the Interstate or the Optima Red Top. I called my local Interstate dealer which sells both, and he said he has 34R sized batteries in both brands that will fit and work fine, but neither has the hookup for the gas vent tube that my factory battery has. Do I absolutely need this?

The Optima Red Top is a dry cell battery and has vents on the side of the battery, but no tube venting the gas directly out of the battery chamber in the trunk. Since it is a Spyder, would I be fine using the Red Top with the side vents? The battery dealer said he does not even sell/stock a size 34R battery with a tube vent, only the size vents.

Thank you for your help, Scott.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's pretty common practice to replace the original battery with a non-vented type. That IS hydrogen that comes out the vent tube, though.

I think Optima's vents are designed to open only under severe overcharging, to prevent a case rupture.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have used optimas in many different applications and will certianly run one in the Maser when she needs a battery. as for the vent tube thing...even in racing applications if the battery is trunk mounted it no longer needs a vent tube so I would not worry too much about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i just had my battery die on me on Wednesday and i got a optima. it is no hipe man. the thing rocks!!!

i always complained about the starting of my car, and now it just turns on like a BMW.

i installed it my self(it was a bitch to take the old one out) . it was rocking and rolling in a couple of minutes.

my battery came with some adaptors so that it doesnt move around. i put them on the sides and it stays in its place now.

W.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I second the Optima. Not sure if the factory Italian battery is just a piece of crap, but the Optima red top starts the car much faster than I ever experienced with the factory one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Optima Red Top all the way... have it in my Coupe and the difference with the crap FIAMM is abysmal...

·
Registered
177 Posts
when do the oem batteries typically start to go?

i have an 02 coupe gt and have noticed it is taking "longer" to ignite/fire up then just a few weeks ago- is this a possible sign that the battery is going. if so, GREAT!- ill just get one of these optomas.no?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Red top is a standard car battery usingthe spiral cell technology the yellow top is a hybrid deep cycle (marine cell design without marine casing) used primarily for a second battery or a car with a large Car audio system

·
Registered
177 Posts
thanks

i have a large car audio system and may go with the yellow top
any disadvantge to doing so other than cost?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not really they don't work as well as a cranking battery compared to a red top...built to deliver constant power over a longer period of time instead of the burst power needed for a starter battery...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you have to reset everything when you swapped the battery or can the car stand a couple of minutes without a supply. My FIAMM isn't giving me a whole load of confidence at the moment...

·
Registered
722 Posts
You have to reset the radio, make sure you have the numbers ready. And the seat positions.

Or use a memory-keeper thing you can get at an auto-supply store to power the car for several minutes until the new battery is in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the recommendations Gents. I bought the Red Top from the local Interstate/Optima dealer and installed it myself over lunch. Took all of 10 minutes to follow the instructions in the manual. Pleanty of CCA's compared to the factory battery.

Ran me $199.99...which looks about $40 higher than what I found on Amazon.com with free shipping, but I was already at the store and just wanted to get it done. If you can wait, go through Amazon and use the free shipping.

Thanks, Scott.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Gavin, replace it. You won't believe the difference your first crank.

·
Registered
177 Posts
How hard is it to replace the stock battery

with the optima- i am inclined to do it myself and save some money!
the local ferrari dealer only carries interstate but will order in the optima if i desire....

·
Registered
660 Posts
with the optima- i am inclined to do it myself and save some money!
the local ferrari dealer only carries interstate but will order in the optima if i desire....
Yep, very easy. Things to look for :

1. Strap mount will not immediately adjust to the Optima, but you can fiddle with it for a tighter grip AND make the metal mount catch the lower battery lip (which is just 2-3 mm wide); adjust screw with a bit more torque than necessary and it will hang the battery to its place rock-solid.

2. Or... get a lower metal mount adaptor for the battery.

3. AND WATCH CAREFULLY NOT TO DAMAGE THE FUSE BOX when sliding the Optima on the bay.

4. DITTO WITH THE CONNECTORS, as the Optimas are narrower and they will get closer to the fuse box metalic edges. So ensure proper battery alignment (relative to the fuse box) and insulation of terminals.

5. And of course follow the proper procedure : first turn off the battery switch, the cycle then is neg-pos when disconnecting and in reverse order (pos-neg) when reconnecting.

That's all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
thanks ed!

i think i will try to do it myself....
any thoughts or experience with the yellow top versus the red top?
i have a pretty substantial stereo install/nav that sucks a lot of power - so the yellow top is a good option but i do not want to sacrifice any cold crank/ignition power!

·
Registered
518 Posts
just add a small aux battery if you need some reserve for your system the new line of audio force gell cells are great my company just started carrying them the a220 is a great little batt to use to boost the factory power capacity...also where is the battery shutoff at on the coupes?

for the yellow vs redtop question one of my show vehicles was using a yellow (67 mustang tripower High comp straight 6 heavy cam 200 amp alternator and about 2000watt rms stereo system) switched to a red because I did not like how long the car had to crank for to fire...the redtop does this signifigantly better and I only lost about 10 minutes of reserve power it is a trade I am more then willing to make

·
Registered
177 Posts
thanks for the valuable info head

i am going to go with the red top.
i will see how it works and if i find myself needing an auxilliary- then will add it later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts