Maserati Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
As you can see, no knobs, but I'm going my wheel controls all work the same, so can select source volume etc.

I believe it has a sim card slot but why do I need it, I presume my phone just connects on Bluetooth?

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
we were mentioning it because you replied after IamStigs picture which shows a new style headunit with the different layout widescreen and the maserati buttons moved underneath and a volume/tune knob.

The picture you posted of your new headunit is the standard aucar/acar type unit and thats the one the majority of people here have thats why we were asking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry if you think I was being arsy, I really wasn't intending it that way, it's just the way the words have been written and without expression, it appears you've taken it the wrong way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been liasing with the seller and I have my questions answered and know what the wires are for. I will attempt fitment next week
I'll let you know how I get in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry if you think I was being arsy, I really wasn't intending it that way, it's just the way the words have been written and without expression, it appears you've taken it the wrong way.

im not angry lol , we were just talking past each other it seems I have no issues.

Also FYI in your picture it does look like you have the Acar/AUCAR type headunit and your picture has the GPS antenna/puck. rather then using that aftermarket gps antenna if you go to ebay/amazon and type in GPS ANTENNA CONVERTER, theres a converter cable you can use that will let you use the stock maserati antenna and you not have to place that GPS puck somewhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cheers, yes I've bought one, as I don't want that puck on show. I'm trying to pluck up the courage to fit it. I'm not sure on the reverse camera as I think I just put power to it from the reverse light and it should work rather than a trigger cable, canbus I presume. Have you had any experience with this. As I don't want to take the day adjust they've

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I finally plucked up the courage to fit my new head unit and it was not to bad at all. I watched several of the Maserati Aucar install videos upfront so was pretty confident.

- I pulled off the main horizontal trim (piano black in my case) and also the small one by the driver’s side also. I removed all the bolts that this was hiding.

- I popped the top cover just behind the steering wheel and used a long Philips screw driver to remove the 2 screws at the back.

- I pulled down at the front of the panel under the steering wheel, reached through and removed the 1 screw that bolts to the dash.

- Next I pulled out the head unit, disconnected it and removed the 2 screws, one each side of the cage.

- I opened up the glove box, removed the 4 bolts at the top and swung the glove box down and disconnected the light on this so not to strain the wire.

- Then I removed the 2 bolts on the top edge were the glove box was bolted.

- I removed the small panel by the parking brake and the 2 rubber cup holder bottom covers, then removed the 4 bolts on this bit around the gear lever, pulled the 2 side panels out of the way just under the gear lever.

- Started the car up, put it in neutral and moved the gear lever panel out of the way, to enable me to remove 2 screws at the bottom of the dash and lift dash panel up and replace gearlever panel and put in park and knock off engine.

- Disconnect the remaining wires, the heater control wires are tight but still do able to remove.

- Lift panel out and put it on a clean soft surface.

- Panic and think what have you done!

- Then I removed the button pack that was on the old stereo and I connected up the button pack and the new stereo to the car and make sure it all works.

- I also connected up my reversing camera and bought a front camera aswell and made sure these all worked. The front camera goes to a yellow wire labelled CCV or CBS or something like that, I found it on a you tube video,

- The video I saw said to use a specific setting for the camera which happened to be the default on unit but it didn’t display properly, so just tried different ones until it worked. The front camera you need to select how it operates, I selected 10s on. Which means when you select a forward gear it will switch on for 10secs unless you select reverse and this will then go on. (I hope that makes sense)

- I tested the main loom that goes into my head unit and the blue/lilac lead was 11.8V with ignition on and 0V with it off (I used the striker plate as ground).

- So I removed the cable pack put it on my bench took a bit of the insulation off the blue/lilac wire using my soldering iron and soldered the red tail lead from my 2 x long yellow RCA lead for my cameras.

- I have put these 2 x RCA leads in the car ready for camera installs (maybe 1 day if I get time). 1 lead has gone behind my glove box and the other lead under my center console , just tucked under the edge near the drivers seat and left the rest in the back under the drivers seat.

Then I had an issue, I went to install the button pack in the new stereo but the 2 x screw holes (15mm long columns) that the button pack slips over and screws too where on the wrong side. (Picture below will explain). I contacted the company in china and they were quick to respond but couldn’t understand what I was on about. I sent multiple photos and explanations, I made several videos and sent the link from youtube to them but they just couldn’t get it. This was pretty frustrating and had a few video calls with them also. All very polite but they didn’t get it, but eventually the penny dropped and they understood. This took several hours of my precious day and my car was in bits. They agreed to send me a new button faceplate with the correct holes, which I will keep as a spare. Obviously my car was in bits and I couldn’t wait 10 days for it to arrive, so I had to get creative. I snapped off the 2 plastic columns that where in the wrong place and lined up the button pack and the buttons didn’t quite line up properly because there are some plastic lugs on the button pack that interfere. So when they don’t line up the buttons will catch the edge and not operate properly. I wanted to get this right as I didn’t want to take my car apart again. So I cut off the majority of the plastic lugs on the button pack and then it would sit central and the buttons operated correctly. Then I scored the surface of the button pack with the edge of a file and scored the back of the face plate and got busy with the glue gun, squirting in all the gaps and I’m really happy that it is fully secured. It was a lot of time wasted unnecessary but if I new at the beginning then I would have just gone straight for the glue gun, so if your in the same boat hopefully I’ve saved you a few hours.

- I removed the old head unit and fitted the new one in. It didn’t come with screws or washers as you can’t use the old screws, but I had some self tappers that fitted and some small washers. When lining it up make sure it is flush on the top where the trim will sit ontop.

- Refitting was easy ish but quite tricky moving the wires out of the way in the dash so that it sat properly and the wire to the heater control is tight again.

- Make sure you feed through the 2 x usb and sim card slots into the dash area.

- I bought a separate adapter to connect the GPS to the original blue connector, so I didn’t have to use the puck that is supplied.

- I connected the FM aerial adaptor that was supplied to the white connector.

- I didn’t bother connecting the 4G aerial as I don’t see the point.

- Check that everything is working as it should, stereo, button pack, heater controls etc.

- Put all screws and bolts back. You will be left with 2 bolts left over where they went through the cage of the old stereo.

I don’t need the unit to do a lot for me so I am easily pleased. I had to change some settings in the equaliser to POP I think and ramp up the base but my car has the normal speakers in and no Bose amp. The phone always connects which is good as I listen to music streaming normally. Connecting to the internet and downloading waze and google maps was pretty good. All the steering wheel functions work well, so I’m happy.

I would like to install front and back cameras and use them as dash cams if possible. The unit really gives the interior a modern look and the heating control being standard isn’t an issue but if that was more like £150 I would have probably done it but not for £400 or whatever it is.

Even though I had the issue with the buttons I think they are a good supplier and would recommend them, hopefully my issue will be resolved for other but check your stereo next to my button pack to see that the screw holes line up, then if there is an issue it can be resolved before you take your car apart.

I hope this has helps someone and thank you for other people contributions to the site.

Adam

41 - 48 of 48 Posts