Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is old news to everyone but with the restructuring at Fiat/Alfa/Ferrari/Maserati, I thought the new Maserati coupe/Spyder was killed off.

Page 21 of the July 2005 Road and Track (arrived today) has the new Maserati coupe. Only it has a Ferrari badge. Apparently, Ferrari is contemplating the new Maserati Coupe design as an entry level Ferrari to compete with the Aston and Porsche Carrera. It seems that they had enough development money in it that cancelling the car entirely did not make sense. The rumor is that it is to be called a Dino.

Anyways, the rumor mill is just that, a bunch of rumors. But I would not be offended if my next Maserati had a horse on the front instead of a trident.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
This would be good news. If the next generation Maser branded coupe & spyder are developed on an Alfa platform, the current sporting Masers would become the modern day equivalents of the Dino. The lingering question would be what happens with the current QP...

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is good to hear. I hope it does indeed happen, and I further hope that Maserati gets the green light to produce the QP with the 612 Scag powerplant.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really enjoy driving the Carrera GT. It truly is a phenomenal machine, and I am still in the break-in period so I can't really rev the engine past 4200 RPM, but as soon as I get past the break-in period I'll post an update.

I still miss the Maserati; it was much more a daily driver than the C-GT. I may pick up another one when I can figure out where to park it! Damned 3 car garages...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
am i reading correctly? then the prototype coupe/spyder will be a Ferrari Dino?

i.e. Maserati will have no coupe/spyder? or will have one with Alfa (brera) platform (guess)?

so the baby now goes to the father?

·
Registered
333 Posts
...rumors
...Pininfarina design :D ... blah... blah.....
...rumors
...5.0 litre engine :eek: ... blah... blah.....
...rumors
...retractable hard top spyder 8) ... blah... blah.....
...rumors
...500 horses :shock: ... blah... blah.....
PLEASEEEEE STOOOOPPPPPPP THE TORTURE...
...I CAN TAKE IT NO MORE!!!!!
I GIVE UP... I GIVE UP... HERE IS MY CHECK... HERE...!!!

With much difficulty I brought this picture for you guys...

It looks a whole lot like a shortened Quatroporte, but I also read that some of the first designs were turned down because it was much too conservative so... here are some links for you to take a peak... there are some spy photos as well...

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars/maserati/05/spyder_spy.html

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars/maserati/11/coupe_spy/1811.html

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars/maserati/05/spyder_impression.html

The cars do not look that much to the one I posted so who knows..... one thing I know is that if this is for real I want to be among the first making the line... anybody with me...???

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been on some Italian chat sites and they seem convinced that the new maserati spider/coupe will be produced in the near future. I must admit that I am also tired of all the rumors and contradictory info available. The bottom line is that although the current spyder/coupe is a good car it is dated and rather generic in appearance. It is time for a change and personally I have been waiting for the new model in order to purchase one. If it takes too long then I will simply look elsewhere.

In the meantime, I will be at the Montreal GP this weekend and let us hope that Maserati's sibling Ferrari can turn the season around.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great find Paco,
Although the prospects of a 500hp engine seem very tantalizing, call me biased but I like the look of the '05 GS much better. It seems as stated above not as agressive. Still you really hope that Maserati gets its feet planted firmly on the ground.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2006-2008 Coupe / Spyder

Page 20 Automobile Magazine - July 2005 Issue

This states that the Alfa Brera will be the basis for new Maserati Coupe/Spyder. They will be AWD. They will likely be an Alfa/Fiat V6. Probably not a V-8.

Spyder debuts in 2006. Coupe debuts in 2008.

Alfa Kamal based crossover maybe called Kubang in 2007.

It appears that, as many of us suspected, a $100K Maserati with ALMOST Ferrari like performance threatened the prancing horsy set.

Unfortunately for me, unless the current performance is maintained, I doubt I will buy another Maserati. I love my Cambiocorsa coupe but I am sure not going to buy a replacement that is slower. We will see what's out there when I hit 100K miles in 3 1/2 years.

Maserati, are you listening because it is the performance that sells us cars??? Now if the V-8 coupes come out with a Ferrari badge at not much more money, then hey, that sounds fun...

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems that Maserati will announce details of the next generation Spyder this summer and the Coupe 6-9 months later. The project has obviously been delayed with the recent restructuring, but Maserati understands that they can not keep us in the dark much longer. From what I understand, they will offer a V6 and a V8 for the European market and a V8 for the US market. The platform will most likely be the Alfa platform and the V8 will most likely come from Ferrari.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks PPMaserati for your response. When will the new spider actually be available in NA and will it still have a retractable hardtop?
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: 2006-2008 Coupe / Spyder

mvarat said:
Page 20 Automobile Magazine - July 2005 Issue

This states that the Alfa Brera will be the basis for new Maserati Coupe/Spyder. They will be AWD. They will likely be an Alfa/Fiat V6. Probably not a V-8.

Spyder debuts in 2006. Coupe debuts in 2008.

Alfa Kamal based crossover maybe called Kubang in 2007.

It appears that, as many of us suspected, a $100K Maserati with ALMOST Ferrari like performance threatened the prancing horsy set.

Unfortunately for me, unless the current performance is maintained, I doubt I will buy another Maserati. I love my Cambiocorsa coupe but I am sure not going to buy a replacement that is slower. We will see what's out there when I hit 100K miles in 3 1/2 years.

Maserati, are you listening because it is the performance that sells us cars??? Now if the V-8 coupes come out with a Ferrari badge at not much more money, then hey, that sounds fun...
I read this also. It is said that our V8s will gain value because of this change. The photo in Automobile Mag July 2005 looks different than the shortened QP above.

At least we are driving a car that will increase value because of better performance!! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
If they are having a meeting does this mean that thse new spyder will be presented in Franfurt in Sept as it states on italiaspeed? I hope so as I,m getting tired of waiting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gawd, I hope that they don't make the Maserati look like that silver car (second photo from the top)!!!! The small v-shaped grill from the Alpha line, and the headlight setup, make it look like a GM sedan!!!
Oh well, too early to complain, I suppose, until the news becomes a bit more real.
I do sort of like the other version that looks more like a scaled down QP, but that is too big. I like the smaller size of my Spyder. But I do really like the grill work and front end design of the QP.
Mike

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
just received the pricing for the aston martin V8 Vantage for canada.
it is $135,500
fyi a 997 is about $100,000
a 997S is about $115,000
and a 996TT is about $170,000

or closer to us, a Gransport is $150,000

the am v8 is quite attractive.

i think maserati has to work hard to keep things up.
the brera is a nice design as an alfa romeo... but as a maserati?...
and as well the rumors about a maserati wagon (or SUv or kubang...)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
birdness
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing