Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm in a strange situation regarding my car. I will not go into details, but I have a "high end" car that has been nothing but trouble. It looks as if we will be filing a lemon law claim. Anyway, I have driven the QP and understand that I will need to learn how to drive the car. Not real crazy about the shifting. But, I love the look both in and out. (Same as the POS car I now have)

I do not think my wife and marriage can go through another case of a "high end" POS.

So, those that have a QP or are in the know, can you give me some insight on reliabilty. Times in the shop? Support from the local dealer? Support from Maserati North America? (We have basically been told "sorry your car has been in the shop 8/9 times in a year w/ 30+ problems, but we will just keep fixing it under warranty." This is from the corpration not the dealer)

I have read about one buy-back on a QP. A few no issues w/ 20K miles. The truth is there isn't much information out there.

I really don't know what to do. QP or back to a reliable Tahoe!

Help.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
if you are cross shopping between a QP and a Tahoe, go with a Tahoe.
:idea:

Bendrover said:
Guys,

I'm in a strange situation regarding my car. I will not go into details, but I have a "high end" car that has been nothing but trouble. It looks as if we will be filing a lemon law claim. Anyway, I have driven the QP and understand that I will need to learn how to drive the car. Not real crazy about the shifting. But, I love the look both in and out. (Same as the POS car I now have)

I do not think my wife and marriage can go through another case of a "high end" POS.

So, those that have a QP or are in the know, can you give me some insight on reliabilty. Times in the shop? Support from the local dealer? Support from Maserati North America? (We have basically been told "sorry your car has been in the shop 8/9 times in a year w/ 30+ problems, but we will just keep fixing it under warranty." This is from the corpration not the dealer)

I have read about one buy-back on a QP. A few no issues w/ 20K miles. The truth is there isn't much information out there.

I really don't know what to do. QP or back to a reliable Tahoe!

Help.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not cross shopping QP and Tahoe, but rather trying to avoid any future marital discord. My wife tauts the Tahoe as an example of "something reliable." While I may agree to an extent, it certainly lacks pizzazz and I want pizzazz. As such, what are your thoughts on the QP?

·
Registered
681 Posts
When I drive, I don't just drive. I DRIVE. Driving can change my mood. I can go from depressed/upset/angry to happy when I get behind the wheel of a car like the Maserati. The same thing cannot be said about the Tahoe. Your call, it's more then just a car to me whereas that's all a Tahoe is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totaly agree, BUT as much as I enjoy driving, it will not help if the dang thing is in the shop!!!!!!!!!! Naperformance I was just on your website and you of all people would know if the QP has issues. I also understand that you wouldn't say anything bad considering you sale Maserati. Maybe you could send your thoughts just to me. You never know, if the QP dosen't work that LX470 you have may. Even that is "just a car".

Been burned once and not looking to get burned again by a car/company that doesn't care about taking care of the customer after the sale.

Later

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bendrover said:
...I also understand that you wouldn't say anything bad considering you sale Maserati. Maybe you could send your thoughts just to me. You never know, if the QP dosen't work that LX470 you have may. Even that is "just a car"...
just stumbled upon this thread and couldn't really figure out what you are going after. Lexus are amazingly reliable cars. If comfort, easy to drive, gadgets and gizmos are what you are after, I would strongly suggest Lexus. Like most of the people on this forum, I am a die hard Maserati fan and we love our cars but that doesn't mean we would tell other people that Maserati is the most reliable brand in the world when in fact it isn't. Yet, reliability can be relative at times. There are problems that I could live with yet the same could be serious factory defects for others. Tahoe or Lexus can not offer you 400 raw italian horses and most importantly either one will give you, even after a year, the same excitement and rush like the first day when the car was delivered to you.

Maserati's are more reliable than Mercedes...as for american cars...ermmm...I wouldn't be surprised if GM files chapter 11.

depending on your perspective, a car will always be a car that takes you from point A to point B but if you are passionate about it, it could be ... i guess... whatever you want it to be...hahahaha...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha,

Thanks for your reply. Your thoughts are where the problem lies. I love cars that you just don't see. I love cars with history behind them. I love a car that puts a smile on my face when I'm driving. A car that like the Maserati you learn the car and how to drive the car. A car that has a great sound to it. A car that like the Maserati that looks like art work. And the 400 horses don't hurt either :D So, could I become a die hard Maserati fan? In a word yes and I'm well on my way. BUT, I can't be a die hard Maserati guy if the dang thing is in the shop all the time and I'm putting thousands and thousands of dollars in it to keep it running.

If I pay the price for ANYTHING I expect it to work! That is it. Nothing more.

The LX470 is a nice car and has a history of being reliable, but I think it would bore the heck out of me! I can get that with the Tahoe for 25K less.

I understand that the Maserati will need to see the shop from time to time. The question is how many times?? Once or twice a year I could live with as long as the car keeps putting a smile on my face. What I can not live with is a car that is in the shop 5 - 10 times a year that turns out to be lemon and the company washing there hands of it.

Still need feed back.

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, I don't have a QP, but I do have a 2003 Spyder Cambiocorsa. It is a daily driver and has over 26000 miles in 24 months. Just as reliable as any other high end car we have owned (Jag XK8, Lexus LX470, Mercedes S500 Coupe).
However, you can't beat the Lexus for the service experience, and my wife loves ours. Lexus has put together a service approach that is second to none, and women love it. I would recommend either the Lexus or the QP. I can't understand why you would go with the Tahoe, unless there is a special deal you can get, or a particularly convenient service situation.
Of course, if you have a close-by Maserati dealer, they do a good job as well, but for me, service is a 90 minute drive away, and a bit of a pain.
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MikeA,

The Tahoe or LX470 would be me throwing in the towel and avoiding future marital discord.

It is nice to hear after 26K you haven't had anything to speak of with your Cabiocorsa.

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've only had my QP for 6 months so not best qualified but for what it's worth: I've owned Porshe and BMW beofre and had niggles with all my cars that involve various trips back to the workshop so i am not surprised to have the same occur with the QP, it's become standard for me and put most of it down to increasing use of electrics in our modern cars.

My QP has a sqeaky drivers seat (no problem) , the glove compartment hinge was loose (fixed), the service light came on too early (reset) i am often warned a break-in has been attempted (no problem) the only issue i have so far is once again electric and involves passenger rear window not rising (due to pinch sensor and wating on part) these issues to me are all part of owning a modern sports car and are far outweighed by the pleasure i derive from owning, driving , watching other look on with awe and envy when i drive past, etc i fell great every time i step up to my pride and joy and i always look back when walking away. no lexus will do that.

Stuart.

·
Registered
312 Posts
QP Reliability

Bendrover, I can't give you advice but I can tell you that my QP has been very reliable. I have 28K miles. It has never let me down. I've gone thru tires fast and had two repairs (CD player and a water pump replaced) done as part of normal dealer service visits.

Skcam, the alarm system is set at a very sensitive level from the factor and a good wind from a passing truck or gust of wind will set it off. Your dealer can lower the sensitivity level.

But you can't expect a QP to be a Lexus; either in exhilileration or in reliability. I sold my only Lexus about 5 years ago and I'm still bored.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bendrover

Ok, I will add my 2 cents, and perhaps, add or address what other have posted.

I own a 2002 Spyder Cambiocorsa.

Yes, the Maserati will require more care than a Lexus, an MBZ, ....anycare which is pumped up like the Maserati requires more TLC.

Is the Maserati relaible? I have put 6000 miles on my car in about 6 months......I have never had a mechanical issue.

What you will experience are little things, which will not strand you, which may not affect the operation of the car, but may over time, wear on you and push you over the edge . ...I mean by this, the Navagation system, the CD player, an occasional weird acceleration issue, an unfounded warning code here and there, the roof doesn't always do what it supposed to do, .......there are others, but none of them will require a drive to the shop..........they are problems which you can ignore and then address when it comes to Maitanece Service time.

I say go for it....these cars were designed to be daily drivers, not a weekend thing....I believe cars which are driven daily, often experience less issues over the long haul.

About Maserati North America, my only experince with them is that they have been responsive and extremely quick to replacement of my Convertable top. It took them 1 day to review my issue and grant approval.

You should also inform us where you live, as there are good and bad dealers within the US.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm still on the fence with the QP. It sounds like I could fall right back into what I have now. BUT, maybe not. I could very well fall in love with the QP and live/understand that it will have some issues. I also uderstand it isn't a Lexus. There is a big part of me that wants to go for it and just enjoy the drive. I have a call in regarding tax issues. If I can avoid a big hit in the gains on the sale of the POS I will talk to the wife :)

I live int Tulsa, OK and we have a Maserati dealer here. They were very nice to my wife and I when we looked at the QP a few months ago. How we have a Maserati dealership in this town is beyond me.

The car that I'm looking at is this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Maserati-Quattroporte-Black-Tan-w-only-1-400-mls_W0QQitemZ4596571792QQcategoryZ6313QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone know anything about this car?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bendrover said:
certainly it looks like a very well trimmed QP.
look at the interior pic of the rear passenger seats.
i think you have a very special car with a metallic red door release. :D

personally i think the color choices are very busy; but then again colors are very personal choices; it should look very nice in person.

seriously, it is a nicely trimmed and optioned car and low mileage with someone already taking the first depreciation for you. i'd say $95k would be a good price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts